Khyaal Podcast: The Darbar of Sri Guru Gobind Singh Sahib Ji

Really interesting podcast. Puratan Sikhs used to place an emphasis on the importance of knowledge. The podcast dives into the role of the kavis in the court of Anandpur Sahib. Kavis were from all across India, translating Sanskrit, Persian/Arabic literature. They also majored in various different fields such as political science, poetry, governing an empire and much more. Sri Guru Gobind Singh Sahib Ji Maharaj set up this darbar at the age of 14, sending his Sikhs to various locations across India to bring those with knowledge to the darbar, establishing Anandpur Sahib as a hub for education. This lasted for about 25 years. The court was filled with Hindus, Muslims and Sikhs. All of this was done for the sole purpose of knowledge and teaching. The collapse of these institutions was a result from the siege of Sri Anandpur Sahib where many of the kavis fled or became shaheed defending it. A lot of the literature has been lost or destroyed because of the battle. However, a lot of the books/literature still remain.  

4 minutes ago, dharamyudh said:

Probably one of the most well known, Bhai Nand Lal Ji also known as Nand Lal Goya. He also basically had a Q&A with Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaj. 

I'v got that on my phone, its really beautiful. 

Was Bhai Nand Lal a Hindu? 

47 minutes ago, dharamyudh said:

I believe he was born a Hindu from the Khatri caste. He was also from Ghazni, Afghanistan. Later became a devout Sikh of the Guru. 

ooh ok coz iv read different things, some say he was Hindu, while others say he became a Sikh later in his life.

I actually think he worked in aurangzebs court as a poet b4

On 7/11/2020 at 2:15 PM, puzzled said:

ooh ok coz iv read different things, some say he was Hindu, while others say he became a Sikh later in his life.

I actually think he worked in aurangzebs court as a poet b4

From what I was taught, he was a part of Aurangzeb's court. He had an incredible knowledge regarding the quran, and blew Aurangzeb away when describing an arth. Aurangzeb wanted to convert him, if he refused, he would've been killed. He sought refuge at the darbar of Anandpur Sahib. And the rest is history.