Joining the Army, need advice/tips on how to keep rehit

Guest Fareed

Guest Fareed

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh,

I am leaving for the U.S Army in the next month (basic training for 10 weeks at a fort where I will be cut off from the rest of the world). So I wanted some tips on how to keep practicing Sikhi in an environment that is not so conducive to it. I'm having paperwork done to get the religious accommodation to keep my kes, dari and wear a dastaar. So that exception will be made (which is my biggest relief) but I have so many other questions! I would really appreciate the help from anyone but especially those who have been through the military or army basic training specifically. 

-How do you care for long hair when you have minimal time/products?

-How do you wear a kachera when doing athletic activities all day long and wearing thick pants over? Did you wear one? I really want to but I also want to be practical. Are there special types of kachere sold? Like athletic ones?

-Does anyone know of someone who has personally been through basic training and done the gas mask test with their beard? Was the mask seal adequate enough or did it leak air?

-On Sundays everyone is allowed to attend a religious service, they have many available but have to make special accommodations if they don't have what someone needs. (They don't have Sikh services so they'll have to make one somehow) How does that work for Sikhs? Do have some granthi or parcharak come? Would they let you go off-base to Gurdwara? If they can't accommodate me then I'm thinking of just attending the Contemporary Christian services so I can sing God's praises there because I heard out of all the options, they sign the most.

-How is the vegetarian food? I know MREs come in veg option.  How was the overall experience?

-Kirpan? Did you wear/bring one? Gatra? If they don't allow it then could I just ask them to issue me one of their approved military tac knives? 

-Dastaar? What kind of cloth, is it the typical kapra? Do they issue you one or expect you to buy one separtely that matches the camo pattern of the uniform?

-Gurbani? You can't bring any books or text with you except for a religious or holy book, so I recently bought a Gutka that I want to bring. Will I even have time to read it? I bought a big one with like 10+ Banis, should I just bring a smaller 5 Bani Nitnem instead? This is my first Gutka ever since I normally just use phone apps, but we will get our phones taken away the first day, so a Gutka was necessary to buy for me. How should I treat it? I keep it wrapped in cloth when I'm not reading it, I know it's not exactly our Guru Granth Sahib but I still want to respect it correctly. What are the rules on how we treat Gutkas? How do you do this while traveling or away from home?

Any other tips you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh.

1 hour ago, Guest Fareed said:

How do you care for long hair when you have minimal time/products?

You're gonna have to get up slightly earlier to detangle etc.

-How do you wear a kachera when doing athletic activities all day long and wearing thick pants over? Did you wear one? I really want to but I also want to be practical. Are there special types of kachere sold? Like athletic ones?

PT shorts are tiny bro. 

-Does anyone know of someone who has personally been through basic training and done the gas mask test with their beard? Was the mask seal adequate enough or did it leak air?

I've been gassed without beard but Sikhs have proven time and time again their masks work. 

-On Sundays everyone is allowed to attend a religious service, they have many available but have to make special accommodations if they don't have what someone needs. (They don't have Sikh services so they'll have to make one somehow) How does that work for Sikhs? Do have some granthi or parcharak come? Would they let you go off-base to Gurdwara? If they can't accommodate me then I'm thinking of just attending the Contemporary Christian services so I can sing God's praises there because I heard out of all the options, they sign the most.

It'll be a mix, go to different services. Like a religions of the world sampler. 

-How is the vegetarian food? I know MREs come in veg option.  How was the overall experience?

Better than non veg. 

-Kirpan? Did you wear/bring one? Gatra? If they don't allow it then could I just ask them to issue me one of their approved military tac knives? 

You'd have better luck with your kirpan. 

-Dastaar? What kind of cloth, is it the typical kapra? Do they issue you one or expect you to buy one separtely that matches the camo pattern of the uniform?

They do make but may not provide ACU camo dastar. 

-Gurbani? You can't bring any books or text with you except for a religious or holy book, so I recently bought a Gutka that I want to bring. Will I even have time to read it? I bought a big one with like 10+ Banis, should I just bring a smaller 5 Bani Nitnem instead? This is my first Gutka ever since I normally just use phone apps, but we will get our phones taken away the first day, so a Gutka was necessary to buy for me. How should I treat it? I keep it wrapped in cloth when I'm not reading it, I know it's not exactly our Guru Granth Sahib but I still want to respect it correctly. What are the rules on how we treat Gutkas? How do you do this while traveling or away from home?

Yes you can have all that. 

Any other tips you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Buy shitty boots now and get your feet used to being in them long days marching. Pushups pullups sit ups and run intervals. Drink all the canteens they recommend like ten a day. 

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh.

Get really good at rolling and folding your own gear so you could pass inspections but you're gonna find some people roll and fold better than others. Have them roll everything for dorm inspections. 

All the trainees think they know everything and they don't know <banned word filter activated>. Especially the ROTC kids think they know and it's even worse than knowing nothing. All you know is what the MTI and training Cadre tell you. 

When shooting go slowwww, it's not a race. Touch the m16 to the same place on your nose every shot and relax, breath, Jaap Naam, then barely squeeze to shoot. 

The military is full of drunks, rapists, racists, and lazy pieces of <banned word filter activated> bro Good luck. Did I mention all the racists?  They're gonna tell you current military policy has inclusion, diversity etc... it's only on paper. It's run by white power. 

Oh and prepared to feel lonely bro. Cutting communication is harder on you and your family than you think. Write letters. Study for your tests whenever standing at ease etc, all spare moments are study. 

And when you get out of bmt and into tech school watch. It's only a brief period of institutionalization but it hits people hard and they go nuts drinking and sleeping around. 

Guest Fareed
18 hours ago, singhbj singh said:

Waheguru ji ka khalsa 

Waheguru ji ki fateh

I think Bibi ji can give you guidance

https://mobile.twitter.com/ArmyChaplaincy/status/1249578595053441033

https://mobile.twitter.com/mandeepChaplain

Waheguru ji ka khalsa 

Waheguru ji ki fateh

I love her! I met her at a camp about two years ago. I'm not sure she would be able to help with this though but I might try anyways. The U.S military is a lot different than where she serves in Europe and so not all the same rules apply.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest Fareed
On 7/21/2020 at 8:34 PM, GurjantGnostic said:

Work together to accomplish everything. It's not about you, it's you and your battle brother and your unit working for each others success. 

Thank you so much Veer ji for answering my questions all the tips on stuff like folding gear etc. I'm going in as a 35P (linguist). I'm prepared for the racism...as much as I can be... but I know I'll be entering a whole different world of stupidity/ignorance (I have friends in the military, they're not sikh but they tell me about all the racism and other generic bs that goes on). I don't drink much water so I'll definitely start doing that more. Thanks for being honest. I need more of that bro and am open to all other advice. I appreciate you.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh