Thoughts on what will happen to Jaggi Singh Johal?

4 hours ago, Ranjeet01 said:

In some ways, these prisoners are used as bargaining chips between countries as way of leverage. 

It was a 400 million pound debt for tanks that were not delivered.

And it was 2 prisoners being released. 

I don't think that it will be that easy for Jaggi Johal to get released because it could very well be that it will be for more than 1 UK national and India has more history with the UK and the baggage is far greater so India will try to extract more out of the UK in way of concessions. 

What those concessions would be is anyone's guess. 

What will the UK be willing to concede?

In thatchers time? A bunch of <banned word filter activated> ordinance. And then she'd have charged them for it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have a little more hope now that Bhagwant Maan has become CM, he has spoken in support of Jaggi in the past and his right to a fair trial, time will tell if he's a man of his word though.

Honestly, god help him. But he needs as much support as he can get. About time people see the sh1t indian gov does

If they pulled another 84, its be the 'Sikhs' who kills Sikhs off first Despite all is happening to our panth, Sikhs will still sign for the I*dian Army and die for their borders

Posted Images

17 hours ago, Ranjeet01 said:

Where have I shown any resentment against any group?

The media shows preferential treatment to certain groups. If you don't have enough awareness of what is going on with this intersectionality then I can't help you.

Bye bye

I am assuming that you are a non-Christian whose ancestors were immigrants from outside of Europe.

The internet is filled with white people moaning about how people like you get preferential treatment in their countries.

But because you are too thick to understand this, you join the chorus of people complaining about various minority groups getting preferential treatment.

• Like 2
17 hours ago, Ranjeet01 said:

You assume everything but you understand nothing.

Believe it or not, there are a lot of POC that hold worse views regarding certain groups than white people.

Get your head out of a$$ dufus

The point is, you go on and on about various minority groups who you dislike for whatever reason getting preferential treatment. Do they actually? Probably not, but you are convinced that they do because that is what you want to see. It makes you feel good. It feeds your sense of aggrievement.

You undoubtedly believe that you come from a group that does not get preferential treatment. But there are ironically many people out there who talk themselves into believing that you DO come from a group that gets preferential treatment. That is what they want to see. It makes them feel better because then they can feel aggrieved.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jun/03/keir-starmer-urges-boris-johnson-request-india-release-uk-citizen-jagtar-singh-johal

Starmer urges PM to request India release UK citizen Jagtar Singh Johal

Patrick Wintour Diplomatic editor
Fri 3 Jun 2022 12.23 BST

Keir Starmer has asked Boris Johnson to intervene and request that the Indian government release a British citizen after a UN working group declared his five-year detention arbitrary and without any legal basis.

In a letter, the Labour leader asks why Johnson has not acted to ask for the release of Jagtar Singh Johal given the findings of the UN report on arbitrary detention last month.

Johnson prides himself on his strong relations with the Indian government led by Narendra Modi, but he has not used his influence to make a public call for release.

Starmer writes: “Jagtar was arrested in 2017 after travelling to India for his wedding where he was tortured by police officers into making a so-called ‘confession’ to charges carrying the death penalty.”

Referencing the UN working group on arbitrary detention’s conclusion that Jagtar “was targeted because of his activities as a Sikh practitioner and supporter and because of his activism”, he points out that the UN believes there is no legal basis for his continued detention.

Starmer, a former director of public prosecutions, is the most high-profile politician to take up the case, and his intervention suggests the UK will not be able to keep the issue confined to behind-the-scenes diplomacy indefinitely. Johal’s family, based in Dumbarton, have received support from the Scottish first minister, Nicola Sturgeon, and the campaign organisation Reprieve.

Starmer in his letter also calls for a cross-party approach to secure his release, saying: “In past cases of British nationals detained abroad it has been crucial to work cross-party, not only to exert maximum pressure but also ensure a coordinated approach. So, in that spirit, I want to offer Labour’s support in securing Jagtar’s release and hope you can address the questions Jagtar’s family desperately want to be answered.”

• 1 month later...