Thoughts on what will happen to Jaggi Singh Johal?

Kau89r8

16 hours ago, proudkaur21 said:

The world is a shitty place because of people like these who will sell their souls for maya. Our gurus were right when they talked about conquering your mind to escape the grasps of maya.

Everyone is tangled into some sort of maya, BUT how can you justify killing your OWN PEOPLE?! How

Would you see Jews throwing under Jews under the bus..I'm sure there is conflicts but you will NEVER see Jews putting another Jews into holocaust. Yet look at ours own...really hurts 

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.thenational.scot/news/19691502.jagtar-singh-johal-boris-johnson-pressure-case-ahead-fourth-anniversary/

Jagtar Singh Johal: Boris Johnson under pressure over case ahead of fourth anniversary

12056634?type=thumb
By Emer O'Toole  EmerMOTooleMultimedia Journalist
SNP MP Martin Docherty Hughes (left) raised Jagtar Singh Johal's case with Boris Johnson

SNP MP Martin Docherty Hughes (left) raised Jagtar Singh Johal's case with Boris Johnson

0 comment

BORIS Johnson's government is facing increasing pressure to do more to help a Scot held abroad as the anniversary of the case approaches.

It's nearing four years since blogger, internet marketer and fitness fan Jagtar Singh Johal was bundled into a van by plain clothes police in the Indian state of Punjab. He'd travelled there to marry his Indian wife a fortnight earlier and has since stated that a "confession" he made early in his detention was made under torture.

Known to supporters by the nickname Jaggi, he has not been formally charged over the serious allegations against him, which include membership of the proscribed Sikh nationalist Khalistan Liberation Front (KLF) and paying £3000 to fund a murder plot targeting right-wing Hindus. It's understood he may face the death penalty.

His family, including solicitor brother Gurpreet Singh Johal, believe he was targeted by authorities for his nationality and involvement in a blog commemorating the 1984 atrocities against Sikhs in India.

SNP MP Martin Docherty Hughes, who represents West Dunbartonshire, raised the issue at Prime Minister's Questions. He said: "The Prime Minister is very much aware of my constituent Jagtar Singh Johal, who was abducted by plainclothes officers while shopping with his new wife in the city of Jolanda, Punjab on the 4th of November.

"The intervening years, Mr Speaker, have seen allegations of torture overlooked and ostensibly strong words from his government about the case overshadowed by excitement over a trade deal with the Republic of India.

"Therefore, Mr Speaker, as we approach the fourth anniversary of Jagtar's arrest tomorrow, with no charges having been brought in the case by the government of India, will this government be able to grant the smallest of favours to Jagtar's wife and his family in Dumbarton and declare his detention an arbitrary one."

Johnson replied: "Mr Speaker, I thank him for the campaign that he's been running for a long time. And what I would say to him is that the closeness of our relationship with India in no way diminishes our willingness to raise that case with the government of India. Indeed, the Foreign Secretary raised it only the last time she was in India."

Nicola Sturgeon and Scottish Labour leader Anas Sarwar are among politicians who have spoken out about the plight of Johal.

UN agencies and two international charities – Redress and Reprieve – have taken on the case.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/sikh-boris-johnson-india-liz-truss-government-b964281.html

Wife of Scottish Sikh jailed in India issues fresh appeal for his release

Jagtar Singh Johal of Dumbarton was arrested on November 4 2017 after travelling to the Punjab for his wedding.

The wife of a Scottish Sikh imprisoned in India without trial has marked the fourth anniversary of his detention by calling on the Government to urgently secure his release.

Jagtar Singh Johal of Dumbarton was arrested on November 4 2017 after travelling to the Punjab for his wedding, with local media linking his detention to the killing of Hindu leaders in the area.

The Sikh Federation (UK) says Mr Singh Johal was abducted by Indian plain clothes police officers while shopping with his wife Gurpreet Kaur.

The UK government must listen and act to secure the release and return of my husband after 4 years of incarceration

Mr Singh Johal has repeatedly expressed allegations of torture and mistreatment by Indian authorities...

“The UK government must listen and act to secure the release and return of my husband after 4 years of incarceration.

“We were hopeful all charges would be dropped against Jagtar at the last hearing in October 2021, but the case was adjourned once again until January 2022 as the Indian authorities were unable to produce any evidence in court.

“All I want and pray for is that my husband comes back home and we can start our life together, but I worry for his and my mental and physical health due to all this suffering.”

Mrs Kaur Johal also asked for a face-to-face meeting with Foreign Secretary Liz Truss adding: “I need Liz Truss as the Foreign Secretary and as a wife to look me in the eye and tell me when I will be reunited with my husband....

In response, Mr Johnson said: “Mr Speaker, I thank him for the campaign that he’s been running for a long time. And what I would say to him is that the closeness of our relationship with India in no way diminishes our willingness to raise that case with the government of India.

“Indeed, the Foreign Secretary raised it only the last time she was in India.”

https://www.thenational.scot/news/19692728.four-years-no-trial-freejagginow-campaign-hits-westminster/

4th November

Jagtar Singh Johal and his wife (centre) on their wedding day with his father, brother and sister-in-law. Pic courtesy of the family.

Jagtar Singh Johal and his wife (centre) on their wedding day with his father, brother and sister-in-law. Pic courtesy of the family.

JAGTAR SINGH JOHAL: FOUR YEARS ON

OVER the past four years, there have been two prime ministers, a World Cup, an Olympics and now the opening of the world's "last chance" climate summit, COP26, in Scotland.

Dumbarton man Jagtar Singh Johal has missed it all. For the past 1460 days, he's been detained in India, pending trial on the most grievous charges. His family say he's innocent, MPs say he's being arbitrarily detained and all are still waiting for evidence to be led against him.

At the time of his arrest on this day in 2017, Indian authorities indicated that they had everything they needed to convict him.

But his story has reached around the world and today demonstrations are expected as far away as Canada as the Sikh diaspora continues the #FreeJaggiNow campaign.

Today's anniversary coincides with a major date in the Sikh calendar, Bandi Chhor Divas, or liberation of prisoners day. Today marks its 400th anniversary.

WHAT IS BANDI CHHOR DIVAS?

ACCORDING to tradition, the sixth Guru, Guru Hargobind, was made a political prisoner and was given the opportunity for release, but would only agree to this if 52 Hindu kings being held with him were also allowed to go free.

When the Emperor Jahangir said that only those holding the Guru's coat would be let go, the Guru made a coat with 52 tassels to allow all to proceed.

All were imprisoned without due legal process and the day has become linked to human rights issues.

Jagtar Singh Johal –who was bundled into an unmarked van by plain clothes operatives while shopping with his new wife shortly after their Punjab wedding – has released a detailed letter accusing authorities of torture. He's also had only sporadic contact with his family and has been unable to hold regular private meetings with British consular officials.

His brother Gurpreet, a solicitor based in Glasgow, is leading the campaign for his release and has highlighted the connection with Bandi Chhor Divas, noting that "the fourth anniversary of my brother's unjust detention falls on the same day".

WHAT ARE THE CHARGES?

JAGGI has not been formally charged over the serious allegations against him, which include membership of the proscribed Sikh nationalist Khalistan Liberation Front (KLF) and paying £3000 to fund a murder plot targeting right-wing Hindus. It's understood he may face the death penalty.

Official charge-sheets also list further men said to have been involved in the "series of killings", with the KLF described therein as a "terrorist gang". It's claimed that Jaggi "actively participated and had complete knowledge of the conspiracy".

However, some claims have been dropped, such as the claim that Jaggi plotted the murder of a man in October 2020 – from within the prison where he is under 24-hour surveillance.

And yet a trial is yet to proceed.

Gurpreet said: "The Indian authorities have failed to produce any evidence against Jagtar or formally charge him on the serious allegations alleged against him, despite my brother languishing in an Indian jail.

"The UK Government have failed to apply their own policy and call for the release of an arbitrarily detained British national like they have for others, detained in other countries. 

""Four years on, no openness, transparency or due process, nor any formal charges/trial says it all; for a country who claim to be a democracy, surely this proves it is not?"

WHAT DOES THE UK GOVERNMENT SAY?

YESTERDAY Boris Johnson was asked directly about the case in the House of Commons by Martin Docherty-Hughes, the family's MP, who suggested that the Scotsman's case had been "overshadowed by excitement" over a potential trade deal with India.

He asked: "As we approach the fourth anniversary of Jagtar's arrest tomorrow, with no charges having been brought in the case by the government of India, will this government be able to grant the smallest of favours to Jagtar's wife and his family in Dumbarton and declare his detention an arbitrary one?"

Thanking Docherty-Hughes "for the campaign that he's been running for a long time", the Prime Minister replied: "What I would say to him is that the closeness of our relationship with India in no way diminishes our willingness to raise that case with the government of India. Indeed, the Foreign Secretary raised it only the last time she was in India."

But Gurpreet, who has received backing from the First Minister and Scottish Labour leader Anas Sarwar as well as MPs from across the political spectrum, says the UK Government has "failed my brother".

International justice campaigns Redress and Reprieve have both backed Jaggi. Referring to talks at COP26, Andrew Purcell of Reprieve told The National: "All this week, representatives of the UK Government are meeting their Indian counterparts, and once again, Jagtar's case is the elephant in the room. He has now been imprisoned without trial for four years, and Liz Truss is the fourth Foreign Secretary to fail to call for his release.

"What is holding them back? Why won't they even meet his family? It looks awfully like they are abandoning a young British man in a Delhi jail for the sake of political convenience."

• The topic was pinned
  • The topic was unpinned