Help with first time learning to tie Dumalla

Guest MSingh

Guest MSingh

WJKK WJKF

I currently wear a patka and need to learn how to tie a dumalla. I’m 16. I only have 3 weeks to learn (let me know if the type I want to wear will be too hard to learn in this time frame. I have no one to help irl only YouTube videos).

Firstly, I have managed to finally get some dumalla cloth and have at the moment left it to soak overnight as I was told this is what you need to do as I had great difficulty trying to learn how to tie one without it washed. So I have 2 lengths of 6m long 0.5m wide cloth. Is this a good amount for the type I want? (Photo will be attached below). I then saw I fold it in half to tie a dumalla in videos.

I’m also having difficulty tying a base. Either when I tie my joora it sticks up too much and will make me end up with a massive dastar (I want to blend in at the new school I’ll be going to so don’t want to look overly big, my old school had no sikhs). Or it’s really really loose (I’m doing the thing where I wrap my Kesh around in the cloth then twist it up. Is there any secret to this or better way?

I am not amritari also, I heard this is a ‘nihang dumalla’, I’m just wondering as a non amritari Sikh I won’t offend anyone by wearing this type of dumalla will I? The reason I want this type is I heard this is the type some people wear at my school I will go to (I am unable to contact them for help however).

So here’s the photo below, for this type, perhaps a bit smaller, how many layers will I need? How much material length total? Do you know any good videos for this exact type in which case please send? And is my aim of learning how to tie this in 2-3 weeks achievable? Forgive me I left it so late I had difficulties.

WJKK WJKF

7E517817-B5C5-4930-8A70-60471C181CE1.jpeg

Guest MSingh
10 hours ago, Singh375 said:

2 lengths of 6m long material 0.5m wide, yes that sounds good ??

Yes wash new material otherwise it’s too rough. Sprinkling water on it before tying makes it even softer/easier to shape.

First learn the basic placement of larhs, what position the first and second larh go,  how to open and fold a larh back to cover the top, placing each larh higher on front/lower on back to make the design etc. Then it’s just practice and practice. Within 3 weeks it should look decent

It’s common being new to dastar your joora sticks up. For patka joora is quite tight, for dastar you want it loose. Make your joora less tall by making it more wide

Also practice keeping your dumalla on for 4 or 5 hours. So many times my dumalla was comfortable when I tied it, then at college it felt too tight and ruined the day. If it’s too tight after few hours, you need to tie it loser to start with. (Especially avoid too tight over ears). 

Brother you won’t offend anyone. Be proud to be a Singh! ??‍♀️❤️

Fathe Ji

Thank you so much ? 

I’m mostly having trouble doing the first level ‘base’. I can’t make my joora stat sight enough because if I turn it too much it just twists and comes off. Also another issue is when tying the cloth becomes very twisted and I have to keep straightening it which makes me let go of my head and then it all becomes loose. Is there any technique to this?

Thank you

Guest MSingh
20 hours ago, Singh375 said:

Goal of base is to make good foundation to go under dumalla. To be honest if you tie the base then shake your head and it comes loose - that’s a good base. As you tie your 2nd material the loose base will become secure and tight in harmony with your 2nd material. End result is very comfortable. Your main priority is making it comfortable to wear all day at school.

Now for the material getting twisted. I fold 1m, tie it, fold next 1m, tie it and so on. I start by laying the material on my bed, open. Then folding the bottom edge up to the middle, and folding the top edge down to the middle.

So now you got a 25cm fold of 2 layers, the side with the fold faces your head. Bunch the material together a little and tie the first larh, when your right hand reaches next to your right ear, make a loose grip like picture attached

This is my right hand, see how my thumb stays behind at top, first and middle finger go into the opening, other 2 fingers sit below. Now straighten your arm out wide, as your hand slides down the material, it gets folded. Now let go and grip again from next to your right ear and repeat the process a few times. The next section of your material gets prepared perfectly. Left hand stays on your head holding dumalla in place.

(If you’re left handed use opposite hands). 

Hopefully that helps a bit brother?

ED23B85E-EA45-4753-B0B8-9DF5B848EA87.jpeg

Yes this helped a lot thank so much. I did what you said in order to make a base, I will start practicing the actual dumalla later in the week for now I am just practicing base.

This is day 3 what do you think of it? I used 2 meter voile for the bunga sahib (which was loose like you told me to do it) then 3 meter f74 for the base. I'd this good enough to tie a dumalla on or do I need to do anything else to it?

(It won't let me attach a photo so I will add photo in my next post in a minute)

Guest Msingh
On 8/15/2020 at 5:17 PM, Singh375 said:

Goal of base is to make good foundation to go under dumalla. To be honest if you tie the base then shake your head and it comes loose - that’s a good base. As you tie your 2nd material the loose base will become secure and tight in harmony with your 2nd material. End result is very comfortable. Your main priority is making it comfortable to wear all day at school.

Now for the material getting twisted. I fold 1m, tie it, fold next 1m, tie it and so on. I start by laying the material on my bed, open. Then folding the bottom edge up to the middle, and folding the top edge down to the middle.

So now you got a 25cm fold of 2 layers, the side with the fold faces your head. Bunch the material together a little and tie the first larh, when your right hand reaches next to your right ear, make a loose grip like picture attached

This is my right hand, see how my thumb stays behind at top, first and middle finger go into the opening, other 2 fingers sit below. Now straighten your arm out wide, as your hand slides down the material, it gets folded. Now let go and grip again from next to your right ear and repeat the process a few times. The next section of your material gets prepared perfectly. Left hand stays on your head holding dumalla in place.

(If you’re left handed use opposite hands). 

Hopefully that helps a bit brother?

ED23B85E-EA45-4753-B0B8-9DF5B848EA87.jpeg

Yes that helps a lot thanks so much, I did write a longer reply but it seems it was not published by moderators for some reason. I need to make an account.

Thanks so much for the help, I’ll keep practicing.