Sikhs in Punjab vs Sikhs outside Punjab!!!

Guest Learner Sikh

2 hours ago, Ranjeet01 said:

With a Singh from outside Punjab like Delhi, Bombay etc to be honest I don't see a Sikh a lot of times, I see a Keshdari Hindu. 

It is very hard to explain, it is not the tangibles like Kesh and Dastaar. It's the intangibles of how to come across in body language, your energy, presence etc.

Metro Sikhs and non Punjab Sikhs likely to be in a minority so the physical identity is more important. 

Sikhs in Punjab are not in a tiny minority so probably get complacent. Plus they are unique on the subcontinent as they don't get their cues from Delhi and Bombay but from other diaspora countries. 

True, most of the Sikhs outside of core Sikh areas tend to be just Hindus in turbans. The Delhi ones are the worst, especially the bhapas. The poorer Sikhs in Delhi belonging to the Lobana, Sikligar and other tribes were the ones that suffered the most from the Delhi genocide and these bhapas are the ones who then went out of their way to defend the murderers of the Sikhs and force the victims to recant on their testimonies. These bhapas do not have any Sikhi pride to be honest and they are ones you see on youtube videos getting pushed around by the police or by the Hindus in their areas. People like to deride Jats but in a fight situation a Jat is more likely to be giving the beating than receiving it. 

1 hour ago, proactive said:

True, most of the Sikhs outside of core Sikh areas tend to be just Hindus in turbans. The Delhi ones are the worst, especially the bhapas. The poorer Sikhs in Delhi belonging to the Lobana, Sikligar and other tribes were the ones that suffered the most from the Delhi genocide and these bhapas are the ones who then went out of their way to defend the murderers of the Sikhs and force the victims to recant on their testimonies. These bhapas do not have any Sikhi pride to be honest and they are ones you see on youtube videos getting pushed around by the police or by the Hindus in their areas. People like to deride Jats but in a fight situation a Jat is more likely to be giving the beating than receiving it. 

Phsyiognomy is a big thing.

I have an acquaintance of mine who is Delhi Sikh and he is clean shaven, I thought he was Hindu when I first met him.

Even if he was wearing a dastaar and had kesh he would give off the Hindu vibe.

Whereas the clean shaven Punjabi for all his faults still gives off a Sikh vibe. The physiognomy  looks Sikh just without kesh.

The big difference I think with Sikh Khatri Arora types is that they intermarry with the Hindu Khatri Arora types so that the hindu influence is stronger.

6 minutes ago, Ranjeet01 said:

Phsyiognomy is a big thing.

I have an acquaintance of mine who is Delhi Sikh and he is clean shaven, I thought he was Hindu when I first met him.

Even if he was wearing a dastaar and had kesh he would give off the Hindu vibe.

Whereas the clean shaven Punjabi for all his faults still gives off a Sikh vibe. The physiognomy  looks Sikh just without kesh.

The big difference I think with Sikh Khatri Arora types is that they intermarry with the Hindu Khatri Arora types so that the hindu influence is stronger.

majority of panth dhokis who have sikh heritage are of this hindu sikh mix  have you noticed this ?

2 minutes ago, Ranjeet01 said:

That does seem to be the case. Background searches gives a lot of clues.

judging by that fact I would postulate it would be better for panth if sikh bibian are immersed in sikhi fully and married where sikhi thrives just as Guru ji ordered us , else we'd be fighting the effects of these sorts forever

24 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

judging by that fact I would postulate it would be better for panth if sikh bibian are immersed in sikhi fully and married where sikhi thrives just as Guru ji ordered us , else we'd be fighting the effects of these sorts forever

There is something bugged me about Sunny Hundal and Jagraj Singh.

I remember the time when on twitter both brothers were commenting on the interfaith marriages in the gurdwarae and they were arguing with each other. 

I recall that Sunny mentioned he found out was happening from his mother. His mother's name was "Disha". Of course Disha could be short for Jagdish. But it is very unusual for a Sikh woman to be called Disha.

I also recall Jagraj mocking Sunny and calling him Hindu Punjabi. 

Is it the case that they have mixed Sikh-Hindu heritage?

It may answer some of Sunny's virulent anti-Sikh stance. 

Some of the most virulent anti-sikhs come from where there is a Hindu father and Sikh mother.

14 minutes ago, Ranjeet01 said:

There is something bugged me about Sunny Hundal and Jagraj Singh.

I remember the time when on twitter both brothers were commenting on the interfaith marriages in the gurdwarae and they were arguing with each other. 

I recall that Sunny mentioned he found out was happening from his mother. His mother's name was "Disha". Of course Disha could be short for Jagdish. But it is very unusual for a Sikh woman to be called Disha.

I also recall Jagraj mocking Sunny and calling him Hindu Punjabi. 

picture on this page seems to indicate it too
https://www.facebook.com/sunnyhundalorg/photos/a.814346875302064/3412144492188943

13 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

That seems to be what I suspected.

Urban Metro Indians. Delhi most likely.

1980's, and Sikh women in Punjab in those days did not cut their hair.

Either the mother is Hindu or herself mixed Hindu-Sikh. 

Hundal I think is a Jatt name, so if the mother is mixed or Hindu, the parents had a love marriage.

In the 70's, how common was this? 

If you look at the cues, you can paint a profile. 

One brother went into Sikhi and the other brother went into the opposite direction.

2 minutes ago, Ranjeet01 said:

Hundal I think is a Jatt name, so if the mother is mixed or Hindu, the parents had a love marriage.

One brother went into Sikhi and the other brother went into the opposite direction.

if you read the blurb he supplied he indicates that he was mona mostly and only kept kesh for a few years , whereas Jagraj was the opposite pattern mostly keshadhari mona for a short time . Most Hindus I've known i my lifetime are not into dharam , only now have I met a family who do learn bhajans music instruments do paat pooja  on the daily , they are neighbours a few doors down but their kids are not so much .

11 minutes ago, Ranjeet01 said:

I was quite surprised when I saw his mother in the recent documentary made by sunny hundal. I thought she would be a amritdhari lady with a dastar.  She could possibly be a hindu or a delhite