Latest BS from twitter - defending sex workers!

Kau89r8

12 minutes ago, puzzled said:

British born children of rural sikhs are the only hope for sikhi in the uk, as majority of the young people in their 20s and teens that are keeping their kesh and taking amrit are actually from jatt background, which is great.

I agree that this is great, and I also find it very surprising. I never would have expected to see western born Sikhs from nonreligious families move towards Sikhi.

Here is something that I don't understand, and maybe you can help shed some light on this since you are from the UK:

When a young man from a mona family grows his kesh out and becomes a singh, why does the father (and sometimes even the grandfather) remain mona? Is it a lack of sharam? Or maybe it is fear of embarrassment since they would have to admit, as middle-aged or elderly men, that they don't know how to tie a paghri?

It is one of the most puzzling things that I have seen. A family with a young singh with a beautiful, full dhari and dastar ... and a clean-shaven bald man with a visible double-chin who is apparently his father. I find it so baffling that the father in such a situation is not shamed into keeping his kesh.

1 minute ago, californiasardar1 said:

I agree that this is great, and I also find it very surprising. I never would have expected to see western born Sikhs from nonreligious families move towards Sikhi.

Here is something that I don't understand, and maybe you can help shed some light on this since you are from the UK:

When a young man from a mona family grows his kesh out and becomes a Singh, why does the father (and sometimes even the grandfather) remain mona? Is it a lack of sharam? Or maybe it is fear of embarrassment since they would have to admit, as middle-aged or elderly men, that they don't know how to tie a paghri?

It is one of the most puzzling things that I have seen. A family with a young Singh with a beautiful, full dhari ... and a clean-shaven bald man with a visible double-chin who is apparently his father. I find it so baffling that the father in such a situation is not shamed into keeping his kesh.

as nani ji would say deet bande sharam laa ke kunti te taang ditti aa..

5 minutes ago, puzzled said:

I actually cant remember the last time I saw one who is a proper sardar and amritdhari. 

Majority of the young people in the UK who are keeping kes and taking amrit are guys from jatt families.

I think the main reason behind this is because our parents still kept us connected to our roots, whether if it was by teaching us punjabi, telling us about our ancestors way of life or by taking us india. So this made it easy to connect to sikhi. 

Kenyan sikh youth on the other hand are really whitewashed, they seem to have no love or connection for the land of their ancestors, their parents have failed to pass anything onto them!  So its no surprise it's rare to see a young kenyan Sikh as a proper sikh.  I think within a generation it will be over for them if they dont change stuff 

There seems to be a phenomenon taking amongst Sikhs of Jatt background. 

They cut their hair en-masse in the 1960s and this probably due to the level of racism and discrimination that they received.

However, after going through all the phases of westernisation and all the drinking and drug culture, there is a big pushback from the newer generations. 

In some way going back to Sikhi roots is an act of rebellion against their parents who have fallen off the wagon. There is a lot of dysfunction that exists in the hedonistic way of life.

Sikhi provides discipline and structure. 

I think some of the East African Sikhs have a superiority complex as being aligned with British elite during the colonial era they themselves became part of the elite until the native Africans took power.

4 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

What makes you say that? How do you know? 

You seem like someone who constantly lives in wilful denial. 

I know because I have relatives in Singapore/Malaysia. Part of my family still live there.

I have part pendu heritage and part diaspora heritage.

Those pendu rural Sikhs are now Urban Sikhs in the west.

3 hours ago, californiasardar1 said:

When a young man from a mona family grows his kesh out and becomes a singh, why does the father (and sometimes even the grandfather) remain mona? Is it a lack of sharam? Or maybe it is fear of embarrassment since they would have to admit, as middle-aged or elderly men, that they don't know how to tie a paghri?

It is one of the most puzzling things that I have seen. A family with a young singh with a beautiful, full dhari and dastar ... and a clean-shaven bald man with a visible double-chin who is apparently his father. I find it so baffling that the father in such a situation is not shamed into keeping his kesh.

Things are changing here, and even though rural sikhs just got bashed on this thread its the kids of these very rural sikhs that are keeping sikhi alive in the UK by keeping there kes!  so these rural sikhs obviously did something right and my guess is that they kept their kids linked to their roots and the land of their ancestors, something that urban sikhs hugely failed in doing and we are seeing the consequences of that.

Its why i say its important that you teach your kids how to speak Punjabi and take them back to Punjab on holidays, without Punjabi they will become coconuts!

I'm 27 and i come from a mona family, my dad is mona and i stopped cutting my kes when i was 23, but my dad continues to cut his hair, eat meat and drink!

I'm not sure why but i think they are just way too set and "comfortable" in their old ways, that they just not changing.   that is my only guess ... 

But i'm glad they taught me Punjabi and took me back to Punjab and visit ithiaasic gurdware as that too played a part in me finding it easy connecting to Sikhi. 

18 minutes ago, puzzled said:

Partition was the best thing to happen to Sikhs,  and it was the very weapons that they had obtained while working in the army that became useful in defending the community against muslim mobs during the partition. Had sikhs not joined the army, obtained weapons and learnt to fight, then I doubt a 5% of Sikhs would do been able to defend the community during the slaughter of the partition. 

British sources that you love reading even mention how sikhs slaughtered the muslims with the weapons they kept on after the war. 

I know what my family did to defend Panjab - and they didn't have to use British weapons. Face it: you people are the masands of today. And if we are in a mess as a community today, surely people who've constantly been trying to project themselves as the quom's 'tekedaars' for so long are accountable for this? But no, you don't want to take any responsibility for dumb, childlike gullible loyalty to people who screwed us over umpteen times, giving loyalty to a foreign sovereign over your Guru, creating some protestant sycophantic 'Sikhism' to fall in line with your masters,  failing to use the mass of funds that our Gurdwara take in to develop Panjab and it's economy for all, rampant casteism akin to aparteid at pind levels, spreading drink and bhangra culture to clownish levels.....the list goes on. We need big changes in the thinking of the community - or else we'll just keep going down this dead end path.    

18 minutes ago, Ranjeet01 said:

You are a Cannibis user aren't you?

I'll get some CBD in periodically yep. 

2 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

I know what my family did to defend Panjab - and they didn't have to use British weapons. Face it: you people are the masands of today. And if we are in a mess as a community today, surely people who've constantly been trying to project themselves as the quom's 'tekedaars' for so long are accountable for this? But no, you don't want to take any responsibility for dumb, childlike gullible loyalty to people who screwed us over umpteen times, giving loyalty to a foreign sovereign over your Guru, creating some protestant sycophantic 'Sikhism' to fall in line with your masters,  failing to use the mass of funds that our Gurdwara take in to develop Panjab and it's economy for all, rampant casteism akin to aparteid at pind levels, spreading drink and bhangra culture to clownish levels.....the list goes on. We need big changes in the thinking of the community - or else we'll just keep going down this dead end path.    

I'll get some CBD in periodically yep. 

I think you are a big stoner! I get the feeling you like to roll up a joint!

4 minutes ago, Ranjeet01 said:

I know because I have relatives in Singapore/Malaysia. Part of my family still live there.

I have part pendu heritage and part diaspora heritage.

Well, I don't think that people from a certain background are particularly honest. I mean if you ask pendus about the situation in Panjabi pends and caste, they'll be telling everyone it's all hunky dory. That no abuse of Mazhbhis has taken place, and that they are the ones who are discriminated against etc. etc. 

They seem to be especially adept at pork pies? 

4 minutes ago, Ranjeet01 said:

I think you are a big stoner! I get the feeling you like to roll up a joint!

Not at all, if I have some, I put it in warm milk, with huldhee and a few other ingredients. It's how I like to preserve some of the best bits of our culture. You know I'm into these old recipes and ancient medical/health knowledge. That's what I call preserving culture - not bwaahh pareepa-ing to a dhol. 

I don't know if you've noticed, there is a mass of interest in Ayurvedic/Indic health knowledge these days. 

The west use buds, which are nasty in effects, Panjabi culture doesn't do this, they use the leave which have a totally different composition.