Sheesha & Sikhi - An increasing problem in our society

singhbj singh

3 minutes ago, MisterrSingh said:

No, no, lol, not random street food. They only serve them in their Gurdwareh as langar. I should've clarified that earlier. I make it sound like a joke, but it's not. There's a maryada to it even if I don't entirely agree with it.

When my cousins (who were born and lived in India) were very young they went on a jatra. They went to a Nihang Gurdwara, and unbeknownst to anyone in my family they consumed food in the langar which was full of bhang. Both of my cousins were about 13 or so at the time, and after eating they were tripping like amlis for hours. Apparently, it was hilarious. ?

WHAT?IN GURUGHAR?This is just.....I dont even know what to say.Sigh.

Just now, Shaheed4life said:

WHAT?IN GURUGHAR?This is just.....I dont even know what to say.Sigh.

It sounds weird but you have to remember this is a hardcore Nihang gurdwara. There's bound to be some deviation from what we consider to be acceptable and normal. I think it was up in the mountainous regions of Haradwar or somewhere like that. 

20 hours ago, MisterrSingh said:

Yes, sure, bug I'm referring to the average, impressionable person from a sober and "clean" background. Those exposed to these vices in reality don't need a show or film to reinforce this behaviour in order for it to appeal to them. 

Yeah true the average person don't need a film to start drinking, they just look around and see how everyone is behaving. 

As for people from sheltered families who have grown up being told its wrong to drink and smoke, I think curiosity just gets the better of them! I think with teenagers and people in early 20s who come from Amritdhari families a lot of them have probably tried drinking, smoking or even boyfriend/girlfriend stuff.

But then again so did amritdharis during the time of the gurus, like look at bhai Joga Singhs sakhi... 

I not judging, I used to drink myself!  But I dont come from a religious family.

I think curiosity gets young people to do stuff that is against Sikhi, and when it's in the movies, music videos and shows that they watch it just makes them more curious. 

But obviously many of them are good kids too. 

I think when living in a free society like here in the UK where there is no social consequences or idea of honor or public shame it makes it a lot easier for people to do stupid stuff. 

20 hours ago, Ranjeet01 said:

Punjab has a culture of heavy drinking. I think it is something in Punjabi DNA, we seem to have addictive personalities, in that as a people if we get interested in something we become completely obsessed with it.

We are type of people that live on the extremes, either we have highs and lows, we love the rollercoasters.

The drug problem I do not much about, but I think because it is not as open as the drinking, some people can find it hard to believe. Clearly Punjab has a drug problem but I think we have a tendency for hyperbole and probably make it more than it really is.

It is said that the people who don't drink, take drugs.

Unfortunately, I do not know how many drug rehab facilities there are in Punjab to ascertain the how deep the drug culture is.

Yeah I think Punjabis like many other ethnicities have a addictive personality, I was thinking about addictive personalities, I think iv got one lol! 

But yeah I think the drug issue is made out to be a lot worse than it actually is, it obviously exists but which then again which country hasn't got a drug issue? 

Alcohol on the other hand is definitely a issue! I feel sorry for the wives of these alcoholics. 

19 minutes ago, puzzled said:

Yeah I think Punjabis like many other ethnicities have a addictive personality, I was thinking about addictive personalities, I think iv got one lol! 

But yeah I think the drug issue is made out to be a lot worse than it actually is, it obviously exists but which then again which country hasn't got a drug issue? 

Alcohol on the other hand is definitely a issue! I feel sorry for the wives of these alcoholics. 

I think they are impressionable and because they have super huge egoes  take everything as a personal challenge /affront to their manliness especially if someone weedy from other faiths say it . So stupid really

3 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

I think they are impressionable and because they have super huge egoes  take everything as a personal challenge /affront to their manliness especially if someone weedy from other faiths say it . So stupid really

Its usually do with the environment and peers you grow up with people are just not impressionable. It doesn't have to do with ego either in most cases.

7 minutes ago, Redoptics said:

Its usually do with the environment and peers you grow up with people are just not impressionable. It doesn't have to do with ego either in most cases.

I grew up in a neighbourhood where that Ish was rife but was never convinced by the partakers as I wasn't able to connect their words about pleasure and status to what I saw around my neighbourhood . !00% the OP s example was driven by ego and misguided machismo

1 hour ago, jkvlondon said:

Yeah the whole macho culture can take its toll on people. Don't get be wrong, a man should be a man, know how to defend himself, and guys in Punjab are tough and sure know how to fight!

But then there is stupidity.

One of my cousin brother in Punjab who died because his liver failed. He was dared by his "friends" to drink an entire bottle of alcohol in one go with out any water. And he was stupid enough to do that, just drank the whole thing in one go and around a year later he died of liver failiure ☹  was only 29. 

There are videos of men, including punjabis drinking an entire bottle of vodka in one go within a minute. 

That is not macho but is stupidity.

Just a waste of life.