UK Sikhs giving their children western names

ChardikalaUK

The western naming is part of a larger scheme of thinking that somehow this will provide social mobility which means it will somehow propel you into higher white society.

This mentality relates to social standing, schooling, profession, or moving into a posher area. 

The reality is the whites don't give a stuff what you call your kids. 

Here is the kicker, the whites are more likely to accept you as you are with your heritage and your traditional names.

1 hour ago, Ranjeet01 said:

The western naming is part of a larger scheme of thinking that somehow this will provide social mobility which means it will somehow propel you into higher white society.

This mentality relates to social standing, schooling, profession, or moving into a posher area. 

The reality is the whites don't give a stuff what you call your kids. 

Here is the kicker, the whites are more likely to accept you as you are with your heritage and your traditional names.

The Chancellor is called Rishi Sunak, the secretary of state is Priti Patel.

Their names clearly did not hold them back.

We've already achieved so much in this country.

Also we're not white like the Ashkenazi jews who often give themselves English names to blend into Anglo society. We will always stick out, whether we are called Jaspreet or James.

2 minutes ago, ChardikalaUK said:

Also we're not white like the Ashkenazi jews who often give themselves English names to blend into Anglo society. We will always stick out, whether we are called Jaspreet or James.

Yup even the lightest of our kind is not gora colour, its more light weatish colour

7 minutes ago, ChardikalaUK said:

And here's the thing, there is nothing wrong in sticking out. 

In the current climate with diversity, it's a plus point. 

Even the Ashkenazis have a few tell tale signs, if you know what to look for.

If we compare the Carribean blacks and African blacks I would say that the whites mingle more with the Carribeans as they have English names and a culture which is slightly more similar to themselves.

However the Africans are more successful academically and economically. 

So if you want your kid to have a gora/gori partner then go for a western name but it won't do much for their career.

In fact goreh might ask your kid 'is that your real name?' And they will never be able to escape the classic question- 'where are you really from?'

7 minutes ago, ChardikalaUK said:

If we compare the Carribean blacks and African blacks I would say that the whites mingle more with the Carribeans as they have English names and a culture which is slightly more similar to themselves.

However the Africans are more successful academically and economically. 

So if you want your kid to have a gora/gori partner then go for a western name but it won't do much for their career.

In fact goreh might ask your kid 'is that your real name?' And they will never be able to escape the classic question- 'where are you really from?'

You know what the biggest difference between Afro-Carribean and Black Africans?

The Africans don't allow colonial baggage to stifle them.

If you see the Africans in acting roles (their traditional African names) aren't stifling them like Idris Elba. To get into acting roles, you are mixing with Luvvies who are tending to be upper classes.

Even the profression of Rugby which is seen as a middle class sport has quite a lot of Black African players with African names. 

To the gorah, if you have an Anglicised name, they are asking the question "what are you hiding?".

The reason Africans do better is because most of them (particularly those from West Africa) came here as professionals with degrees whereas the ones from the Caribbean obviously didn't. The Afro Caribbeans have assimilated into western/white working class culture (and with that comes poor academic attainment and low social mobility).The other reason is those form the Caribbean have an individualist culture (Like White Brits) whilst Africans have more of a collectivist one

18 hours ago, learningkaur said:

‘Ciaras’ parents most likely weren't brought up in proper Sikhi, more Punjabi culture.

There are actually not as many people taking a letter to name their child any more- this is mostly because new parents now haven’t ever been educated with a reason as to why to do that.

Not really tbh

I wasn't raised as a Sikh either, all i knew was the mool mantar that Guru Nanak Dev ji is our 1st guru and that Guru Gobind Singh ji is our 10th guru. As i kid i used go Gurdwara every Sunday but stopped going when i was a teenager, and that was it!  So i wasn't raised as a Sikh.

But i still knew basic stuff like when you have a baby you are supposed to go Gurdwara and do hukkam for a letter and when the baby is born you first take it Gurdwara from the hospital and then take it home. Thats basic stuff!  Even my cousins who dance around with pints on your heads know this stuff.

And most new parents are in their 30s, so kind of surprising that they don't know these basic things. But then again they probably know them but just prefer not to because they prefer raising their kids less traditionally and more westernized ...  

But maybe it just depends on the families .... 

The Whitewashed Punjabis, especially the ones in Asian areas, you can easily tell them apart. Its hard to explain but its the body language, the nuance, which give it away. You don't even need to hear them talk, you can just tell. Its hard to explain lol 

A lot of Whitewashed Punjabis also love to laugh at Indian culture and make curry jokes with their White mates. Back when i used to use trains/public transport i used to notice this quite a bit especially the office boys. 

Its these same people that give their kids White names. 

Anyway, its up to them at the end of the day, maybe they have chosen not to raise their kids in Sikh culture and have actually decided to raise them with White culture, in that case you can't really question their decision to give their kids White names 

3 hours ago, Niara said:

The reason Africans do better is because most of them (particularly those from West Africa) came here as professionals with degrees whereas the ones from the Caribbean obviously didn't. The Afro Caribbeans have assimilated into western/white working class culture (and with that comes poor academic attainment and low social mobility).The other reason is those form the Caribbean have an individualist culture (Like White Brits) whilst Africans have more of a collectivist one

Yes so them having English names did not help them. There are more important things such as education.

Barack Obama managed to become President with a very African sounding name.

He achieved more than Colin Powell, Jesse Jackson and Condoleeza Rice.