The British and the Sikhs

Dsinghd

6 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

Look, in the end of the day, my position stems from the fact that if we're ever going to get our act together, and form a strong cohesive community that is robust to outsider influences - which essentially weaken us psychologically (i.e. make us mentally subordinate to others, constantly aiming to please them), we have to do away away with the loyal sepoy mentality, and not indirectly promote it to newer generations like has been happening for well over a century now.

It's not complicated.  It seems like this idea is very disappointing to you? 

I agree with what you say. 

As Sikhs we should fight for ourselves only. BUT, having some Sikhs learn the martial trade can benefit us too as we don't have our own army currently

6 minutes ago, Premi5 said:

I agree with what you say. 

As Sikhs we should fight for ourselves only. BUT, having some Sikhs learn the martial trade can benefit us too as we don't have our own army currently

Gangs in this country do that. Keep a young kid's record clean, no tattoos, even though he's a rolling 60 crip or whatever, then into the marines, and back out to train the gang. 

8 minutes ago, MisterrSingh said:

Why'd you make it so complex? I was anticipating your correct assessment of this obvious bit of establishment propaganda.

Cool, maybe one day we'll be on the same page?

Seeing those farmers get run over shook me up a bit. I think most of us know where we have to go as a quom, it's going to be brutal. I grew up in the shadow of the last time Sikhs tried to regain their sovereignty.     It's an ugly business. 

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/amritsar/uk-cites-law-breach-declines-to-raise-sikh/punjabi-regiment/articleshow/87014180.cms

AMRITSAR: The United Kingdom has once again declined to raise a Sikh or Punjabi regiment in the country’s armed forces. In a recent communique to British MP Lisa Cameron, UK’s minister for the armed forces James Heappey said, “The setting up of a Sikh or Punjabi regiment or indeed any other religious or ethnic group, would not be supported by the Equality and Human Rights Commission and would breach anti-discrimination laws.”
UK-based Punjabi Language Awareness Board along with likeminded bodies and individuals have been perpetually taking up the issue with UK leadership, seeking to raise the Sikh or Punjabi regiment in the UK’s armed forces to honour the role of Sikhs in WWI and WWII wherein Punjabi soldiers had fought bravely alongside the British troops.
Board president Harmeet Singh said they had recently written to Cameron, who is MP for East Kilbride, Strathaven and Lesmahagow to raise the demand of raising a Sikh or Punjabi regiment. Harmeet informed that there was a Brigade of Gurkha’s in the UK’s armed forces about which Heappey said, “The only exception is the service in the Brigade of Gurkhas, where this is permitted under the Race Relations Act (now subsumed by the Equalities Act) because a defence minister accepted the need to make special arrangements under Section 41(2)(d) of the Race Relations Act 1976 in deference to the Government of Nepal”. In 2007, the demand for a Sikh regiment was not accepted after the Commission for Racial Equality argued that it would be divisive and amount to “segregation”.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2021 at 11:36 AM, GurjantGnostic said:

Gangs in this country do that. Keep a young kid's record clean, no tattoos, even though he's a rolling 60 crip or whatever, then into the marines, and back out to train the gang. 

So what was shown in the movie 'The Departed' is more common than I thought ?

Slough Sikh charity accepts prestigious award from the Queen

09:40AM, Friday 15 October 2021

Slough Sikh charity accepts prestigious award from the Queen

A Sikh charity based in Slough has accepted a prestigious award from the Queen which recognises volunteers who go the extra mile to help others.

Guru Maneyo Granth Gurdwara (GMGG) was the recipient of the Queen’s Award for Voluntary Service for its response to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The award was presented to volunteers by the Lord Lieutenant of Berkshire, James Puxley, at Reading Town Hall on October 7.

The Queen’s Award for Voluntary Service aims to recognise ‘outstanding work’ by volunteer groups to benefit their communities.

It was created in 2002 to celebrate The Queen’s Golden Jubilee, with recipients announced each year on June 2, the anniversary of Her Majesty’s coronation.

https://www.sloughexpress.co.uk/gallery/slough/171870/slough-sikh-charity-accepts-prestigious-award-from-the-queen.html

https://wmlieutenancy.org/staff/mandeep-kaur-mbe/

Mandeep Kaur MBE

For services to Armed Forces personnel and the Sikh community across the globe

7In October 2005, Mandeep Kaur was appointed as the first and only Sikh Chaplain for the entire British Armed Forces and still remains in the post.

Mandeep-Kaur-150.jpg

Her role as Sikh Chaplain involves providing Armed Forces personnel and families with moral, pastoral and spiritual support.
She advises and has engaged with the Ministry of Defence on interfaith issues and has helped educate and correct misconceptions.
In addition, Mandeep has raised awareness of drug problems, domestic violence and gender inequality through inspirational talks and going out into the community to listen and support people.
She is a role model for many and has inspired women not only to believe in themselves, but to work selflessly for society.