Guest confused

Where to start with finding partners for marriage

Guest confused

There  doesn't appear to be any decent platforms for meeting people these days and no one seems willing to suggest people. Where are we supposed to begin?

I tried to ask similar question here but only got limited suggestions like try local gurughar or matrimonial websites etc.

young generation also bit unsure of getting married, maybe lack of ability to take responsibilities in a married life.

Guest confused

I am 28 and have felt I have always been open to suggestions yet I have not met a single person.  I really don't know what to do.

Prior to Covid I went to the same gurudwara for every weekend of my life. We aren't the same caste as the majority of those who attend that gurudwara so it wouldn't surprise me if that's the issue.

Guest jigsaw_puzzled-singh
On 9/24/2020 at 11:14 PM, Guest confused said:

There  doesn't appear to be any decent platforms for meeting people these days and no one seems willing to suggest people. Where are we supposed to begin?

That's actually a very good question my friend. I consider myself extremely lucky to have gotten married well before these current times because, in this day and age, nobody wants to be a pachola. Believe it or not, just a decade or so ago, practically every other Punjabi above the age of 30 was either a pachola or had aspirations of becoming a pachola. In this day and age however, it is a role that comes with much gnashing of the teeth - A role laden with vexation and grief. A role no longer worth taking the risk for. So where does that leave the young 20 something Sikh in the west ?  I don't know. These are tough times to be young, ready for marriage and living in the west. 

On 9/25/2020 at 6:30 PM, indersingh1313 said:

I tried to ask similar question here but only got limited suggestions like try local gurughar or matrimonial websites etc.

young generation also bit unsure of getting married, maybe lack of ability to take responsibilities in a married life.

you are supposed to ask a senior person. If your families believe in a jatha or taksal, u can ask the main babas of your organization. 

Also your parents can ask senior ppl at the gurudwara. Like my son is coming of age, any suggestions for a rishta?

Also look at panjabi newspaper ads. 

Also u can ask your married relatives. They will know other people your age from the other side of the family. And know people from that familys daughters family etc. 

i guess people are afraid to even suggest someone nowadays incase it doesn't turn out well - they dont want the blame. But you could try 'meet a sikh', its available on IOS. My mate found someone on there. so it could work out for you too. no harm in trying right? 

• Like 1

Bro, unfortunately it's finding a needle in a haystack. You gotta cast a wide net and hope for the best. Try everything (websites, Gurdwara, word of mouth etc).

On 9/24/2020 at 11:14 PM, Guest confused said:

yeh, it would be good if someone brought back a site like sikhpal or sikhportal, they were good for meeting sikhs!

30 minutes ago, ipledgeblue said:

yeh, it would be good if someone brought back a site like sikhpal or sikhportal, they were good for meeting sikhs!

Or...start a matrimonial section on this forum (hint hint @ADMIN)🤣!

• Haha 2

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Topics

• Well, instead of hiding behind anonymous votes like a bunch of cowards, they should come out and say it straight. Though I suppose these "naa-mard" wouldn't have a problem if this happened to their sister or daughter.  But coming back to the original post, this unfortunately isn't an isolated case. This is why in Afghanistan, Sikh and Hindu girls are married off very young, because there are a fair few in the Muslim majority with a paedophile mindset who would think it's ok to kidnap an underage unmarried non-muslim girl and "marry" her. 
    • Standing up and for ur comrades in arms is also a good quality, that turns to peer pressure and cowardiceness.  But its not only police who are guilty of it. Moh attacks everyone. People will lie to protect their family, their cult, their religion and their brothers in arms.  In fact, thats what happened in panjab during kharkoo (militant) times. If you read Khalistan by cynthia mehmoud, that was the only crime she could find done by sikh seperatists. That one sikh would take bombs into crowded marketplaces to kill hindus, and none of the members of his team condemned him. She asked them if it was wrong to kill innocents, they said yes. But they wouldn't comdemn him. They said he is one of ours, a brother.  Panjabi Sikh people will be the last to support any ideological movement. Because they have suffered from ideology alot. First in 1947, they were promised a  better nation, just for sikhs. And how many innocent sikhs got butchered? Then in 1984 to 1995, while the kharkhoos and rebels enjoyed glorius shaheedis, it was the common folk who suffered dehydration, curfews, torture, army rule, becoming orphans and a loss of economy. Most sikhs at heart are secularist and scared stiff of religious ideologues who can ignite another doomed revolution and entice their children to early death.  That is why most sikh people judge movements by their effect on the common people not their ideology. It doesnt matter what equalities are promised,.what wrongs will be righted, look at the actions. So to sikhs, BLM is terrible. It comes for their  businesses and livelihood. And one cant even try to defend against the looters:  https://anncoulter.com/2020/09/23/innocent-until-proven-trump-supporterxxxx/ Thats the general panjabi thought about BLM. Heres mine: i support Black Lives Matter Too. That was the original name by the founders. I think it makes a lot more sense. Also im after the truth, but between the nbc and cbc whitewashing and fox news fearmongering, its hard to know whats true. I dont want to be lead by the mainstream media which is supporting ppl like biden, using all this unrest to paint trump bad. Its been wrong about the russian fraud, to trump impeachement to so many things. They have been calling the protest peaceful. Big games are afoot and i dont want to be a pawn. First the media was like social distancing. Shut down gurudware and churches. Then they allow and encourage ppl to attend these huge protests.which even though they included looting and burning were called peaceful. They wont condemn anything, even though many videos show black people angry cuz their kids got shot and killed, their businesses looted. One one sided narrative is being pushed and of anyone even criticizes a little bit they are canceled with shouts of racism.  So while i support BLMT, i wont let that turn me into a passive bystander. Its not only the end that matters, its also the means to get there.  Anyone can commit crimes under a movement, so be vigilant. A protest can easily be turned into a mob. And a mob is dangerous especially if it inevitably goes to loot rich places. As sikhs are rich, and have businesses and big houses, they can be a target. As the koreans were in LA riots. Nobody supported the koreans. The media and artists celebrated the rioters. But the koreans who had to defend their homes and stores with guns were all alone during the riots and the damages too. Also the rodney king riots, did they solve anything?  Will these protests? In the beginning BLM was smart. They knew doing peaceful protests werent gonna do anything. Ppl and governmwnts only pay attention when property is involved. So they were smart, they tartgeted police departments, governemnt buildings.and even big stores were ok.  And in war and big movements sometimes bystanders get hurt. I mean it was the sikhs tweeting 17 better 10,000 in support of rajoana. That the 17 bystanders killed in suicide bombing by rajoana was good because the guy who was killed wouldve killed many more sikhs. So i understand if some innocents get killed or some sikh businesses looted. What i dont like about BLM is thats its becoming cult like. The media wont report anything true about riots vs peaceful protests or anything negative, and if anyone is critical they are canceled. These are not just fox news talking points i have noticed it. Shutting down disagreements, hiding the truth is leading to propaganda and authoritarianism. That is more worrisome than racism.    
    • I assumed that...I was explaining myself..
    • Background https://www.sikhiwiki.org/index.php/Balmiki
    • Gurbani Word Of The Day: Baalmeek https://www.sikh24.com/2017/02/15/gurbani-word-of-the-day-baalmeek/

Important Information

Terms of Use