books on wisdom needed

shastarSingh

1 hour ago, Premi5 said:

Maybe. I expected it would be interesting but it was not a light read and I gave up on it.

Agree, read it many years ago and found it was probably the most impactful book I had ever read. Should read it again

I shouldn't have been so harsh for your honest opinion. Sorry about that. Guess I can be an ar5e as well. 

I thought the book was really good in how it explained those moments of stillness that you can sometimes get if you're lucky when meditating (simran). Those moments (what he calls the power of now i.e. being in the moment unencumbered by the baggage of the past, as well as concerns about the future) are psychologically and spiritually rejuvenating. 

And I didn't agree with all he said, I just thought he helped elucidate a purpose of meditation very well.    

You should maybe try reading it again, because you might be in a different mindplace now, and be able to take more out of it. I should read it again too sometime. 

6 minutes ago, Singh375 said:

Yes, let’s try gather wisdom, even though Guru told you wisdom won’t go with you.

Sehas Siaanapaa Lakh Hohi Th Eik N Chalai Naal ||

With simran you can take a book, place 1 hand underneath, 1 hand on top and close your eyes. In minutes you can read the whole book then recite it back from heart afterwards. 

Infinite power comes from simran. Please don’t waste your life trying to ‘find wisdom’ from books ??‍♂️

Been thinking about this recently, 99% Sikhs haven’t got a clue what Guru Nanak Dev Ji taught. We know about rehat, banaa, maryada, 5ks (things with purpose) - which all came later. But teaching Guru Nanak Ji gave - Shabad Guru Surat Dhun Chela

~ How many of us can explain what Surat is? 1% maybe?

My new project will discuss such things

Coming Soon...

#GurbarAkaal

I think Dasam Granth encourages us to gather wisdom and have wits for navigating this material experience.

14 hours ago, Singh375 said:

Yes, let’s try gather wisdom, even though Guru told you wisdom won’t go with you.

Sehas Siaanapaa Lakh Hohi Th Eik N Chalai Naal ||

With simran you can take a book, place 1 hand underneath, 1 hand on top and close your eyes. In minutes you can read the whole book then recite it back from heart afterwards. 

Infinite power comes from simran. Please don’t waste your life trying to ‘find wisdom’ from books ??‍♂️

Been thinking about this recently, 99% Sikhs haven’t got a clue what Guru Nanak Dev Ji taught. We know about rehat, banaa, maryada, 5ks (things with purpose) - which all came later. But teaching Guru Nanak Ji gave - Shabad Guru Surat Dhun Chela

~ How many of us can explain what Surat is? 1% maybe?

My new project will discuss such things

Coming Soon...

#GurbarAkaal

excellent post!!!

• 11 months later...
On 10/27/2020 at 8:40 PM, Premi5 said:

I thought it was boring personally and didn’t learn anything from it

How did you not learn anything from Perkin's book? It explicitly records how powerful western nations compromise and use developing nations through manipulating members of their governments?

On 10/28/2021 at 1:21 PM, Premi5 said:

@dallysingh101

Any more suggestions please?

If anyone knows where I can find a good online translation of the full Meditations of Marcus Aurelius, please do share.

I think Nottoocooltoargues list is a great one. Have you worked through them? 

Charitrio Pakyaan is great too. 

12 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

How did you not learn anything from Perkin's book? It explicitly records how powerful western nations compromise and use developing nations through manipulating members of their governments?

If anyone knows where I can find a good online translation of the full Meditations of Marcus Aurelius, please do share.

I think Nottoocooltoargues list is a great one. Have you worked through them? 

Charitrio Pakyaan is great too. 

I read it about three years ago, I probably didn't think about what I was reading hence lost the message. 

Reading Nietzsche at the moment. 

Though there is some wisdom, I find him quite depressing actually. He seems like a mentally unstable person (the moustache gives it away)

A lot of the philosophy of the 19th Century from Germany  in philosophy and psychology like Jung, Shopenhauer etc all come from Eastern philosophy.

The Jewish intellectualism we see today got a lot of their ideas and concepts from the east.

But I will read some of these other books just for hobbies, just so I can see things from another perspective. 

But the reality of the matter is that a lot of western philosophy  (not including Pre-Christian Stoic or anything from Ancient Greece) is a pale imitation of what he have in our heritage.