Love with Dogs and Birds

kaur

Sat Sri Akal Sangat ji,

I would like to discuss about something that was kind of bothering me from long time..

When I was young, I used to spend time with my Naani ji, she was always into watering and keeping food for birds..

She used to live in a pind so they had buffaloes, cows at home. She was always making sure all those animals were comfortable.. in Winter she used to put a nice bonfire around them and all..

I started liking it and doing with her.. My naani ji passed away but passed away but I still visit that pind to feel her presence..

Anyway.. coming to the present.. I love birds... I keep food for them, watch them chirping, eating and it make me smile..

Last year, me and my husband ( who is also in love with animals) got a dog and we love that addition to our family..

Now, my question is ...is it okay to love animals and birds??

My mother in law doesn't really like it that I get excited for dogs and birds.. other family members also agree with her.

I love watching birds, playing with dog and loving them... I kind of argue with them... animals can't even talk and tell us their pain/hunger.. If not a  lot, atleast I can do this little for them..

Then I ask her why she doesn't like it.. She said if we will have love for these animals and birds, we are going lower than this human form... I didn't really understand..

Then she explained in details to me '' we are here as humans to love God who is the higher form and if you spend so much of your time with animals and creatures then you won't have enough time for God... and that will put you down...you will go lower...coz animals are lower than humans''

But my really concern is.. is that true about loving animals?

Now every time I play with my dog, she comments'' oh  you had good time with your friend'' and other funny things she would say to make me feel wrong..

I get lost and wonder if she is right or it is okay to have some love for birds/animals because I always believed that are also part of Waheguru..

Please Sangat ji...give me your feedback..

WAHEGURU :)

On 11/4/2020 at 3:22 PM, Shaheed4life said:

Vaheguru ji ka khalsa Vaheguru ji ki fateh 

It is perfectly fine to love animals.In the puratan times the Singhs would keep horses with them and Guru Sahib had his eagle too.If we put animals below us we will start to get Hankar that Humans are everything and that we are the highest and this is wrong.We should treat everything alive as beings of Vaheguru Sahib Ji.However what your mother said is partially correct.Do not get too engrossed into taking care of Animals that you forget everything else.Do take care of the Animal but while doing it do simran or moolmantar

Nanak Satgur Bhaettiai Pooree Hovai Jugath

O Nanak, meeting the True Guru,one comes to know the perfect way.

Hasandhia Khaelandhia Painandhia Khaavandhia Vichae Hovai Mukath

While laughing,playing,dressing and eating,he is liberated.

(Ang 522)

Bhul Chuk Maf ??

Thanks a lot veer ji.. Yes that is what I used to think.. Guru Gobind singh ji had his baaz .. Talking about oneness, we are all connected.. So how can we say one form is lower and other is higher.. 

Of course I am not with my dog 24 hrs per day.. I go to work.. I do all the required tasks at home and in between I spend some time on things that I enjoy :)

Thanks a lot for the beautiful lines at the end.. 

Hasandhia Khaelandhia Painandhia Khaavandhia Vichae Hovai Mukath

Waheguru Mehar Karey :) 

On 11/4/2020 at 10:02 AM, kaur said:

Sat Sri Akal Sangat ji,

I would like to discuss about something that was kind of bothering me from long time..

When I was young, I used to spend time with my Naani ji, she was always into watering and keeping food for birds..

She used to live in a pind so they had buffaloes, cows at home. She was always making sure all those animals were comfortable.. in Winter she used to put a nice bonfire around them and all..

I started liking it and doing with her.. My naani ji passed away but passed away but I still visit that pind to feel her presence..

Anyway.. coming to the present.. I love birds... I keep food for them, watch them chirping, eating and it make me smile..

Last year, me and my husband ( who is also in love with animals) got a dog and we love that addition to our family..

Now, my question is ...is it okay to love animals and birds??

My mother in law doesn't really like it that I get excited for dogs and birds.. other family members also agree with her.

I love watching birds, playing with dog and loving them... I kind of argue with them... animals can't even talk and tell us their pain/hunger.. If not a  lot, atleast I can do this little for them..

Then I ask her why she doesn't like it.. She said if we will have love for these animals and birds, we are going lower than this human form... I didn't really understand..

Then she explained in details to me '' we are here as humans to love God who is the higher form and if you spend so much of your time with animals and creatures then you won't have enough time for God... and that will put you down...you will go lower...coz animals are lower than humans''

I never understood it fully.. she is a Radha Soami follower..not sure if she has this her own thinking or got from those satsangs..

I believe in Gurbani only as I have experienced it all and feels real... I do my naam simran not on regular basis but I try to listen paath and Kirtan whenever I can... so I don't realy follow their path anyway..

But my really concern is.. is that true about loving animals?

Now every time I play with my dog, she comments'' oh  you had good time with your friend'' and other funny things she would say to make me feel wrong..

I get lost and wonder if she is right or it is okay to have some love for birds/animals because I always believed that are also part of Waheguru..

Please Sangat ji...give me your feedback..

WAHEGURU :)

Penji,

sounds like the underying issue is how mother in law feels about animals, seems like has some fixed view point and feels uncomfortable and challenged with your alternative view point.

Love for animals, nature and gods creation isnt bad. They are more content, living naturally and in His Hukam. Amazing.