Sikhs excluded from Remembrance Sunday commemoration

Kau89r8

On 11/10/2020 at 9:32 AM, proactive said:

It looks like Lord Indarjit Singh from the one man Network of Sikh Organisations was invited and got a cold and didn't event. Whether you support Sikh representation at this event of not, we need to consider that these images are sent all over the commonwealth as well as around the world. Sikh representation also irks the Indian establishment because separate Dikh representation shows that Sikhism is accepted as a seperate religion. 

The problem now is that one man who usually hogs all the limelight when it comes to Sikhs in the media or government didn't think to have another Sikh attend in his place if he was unwell. This is the sort of attitude that is prevalent in these kind of situations with Sikhs. One Sikh does not want another to take his place incase his own position is threatened. Lord Singh is 88 years old and yet in a 500K community there was no other Sikh who could be found to represent us. Shows the sad state of our community and the people who think that only they should be representing us. 

This is a brilliant observation. I was smiling and nodding in agreement when reading it. Apne love status. These sorts want to be the only Sikh pet amongst the establishment. Fighting over scraps. So funny.

On 11/11/2020 at 4:59 AM, Ranjeet01 said:

Let's create our own Shaheed's day. We commerate our own and not bother about the rest. 

"Lest we forget", my a$$.

Until the next war!

Yeah that's a good idea but it needs to be distinct from the red poppy thing and I think at a very different time of the year - plus those apnay people who died fighting for some english queen or king aren't and have never been shaheeds. 

My Nanis Father, so my Great Grandfather was in the war, but he was in the Australian army as he had moved to Australia with his father (my Great Great Grandfather) as a little boy. He went to school in Australia as well. He wasn't a Sikh though he was a mona. He only went India once in his life to get married, so my Nani never met him. 

They owned a farm/land over there, he died in a accident when he was really young.

My Nani throughout her life held a grudge against him, even though she never met him, she just didn't like the idea of him. But I think it's because he never came back and she didnt grow up with a father was the reason why she held this grudge against him even though she never met him and he was dead anyway. 

Iv been researching about him, interestingly when he joined the army he never told them that he was married, so when he died his wife, my Nanis mother, never received a widows pension. I guess I'm never gnna find out why he didn't state that he was married. Buts it's very odd. 

His wife had a sad life, as she got older she even lost her eyesight. She basically spent her entire life without him and alone. My Nani was their only child because he never came back anyway. 

Years and years later in the 70s, some of my Nanis relatives from Australia on a trip to India told my Nani that as his daughter she has a right to move to Australia because he was a soldier and that she can also claim the land that he owned, she refused both offers!  She just never liked him even though she never met the guy. But, at the same time she used to have a big portrait of him in our house in India and whenever there was a family wedding she used to make sure his portrait was shown at the beginning. Human relationships are so complex. 

He was a dapper looking guy, with a Bhagat Singh style hat slightly tilted to one side lol 

I feel sorry for the guy! ... 

6 hours ago, puzzled said:

My Nanis Father, so my Great Grandfather was in the war, but he was in the Australian army as he had moved to Australia with his father (my Great Great Grandfather) as a little boy. He went to school in Australia as well. He wasn't a Sikh though he was a mona. He only went India once in his life to get married, so my Nani never met him. 

They owned a farm/land over there, he died in a accident when he was really young.

My Nani throughout her life held a grudge against him, even though she never met him, she just didn't like the idea of him. But I think it's because he never came back and she didnt grow up with a father was the reason why she held this grudge against him even though she never met him and he was dead anyway. 

Iv been researching about him, interestingly when he joined the army he never told them that he was married, so when he died his wife, my Nanis mother, never received a widows pension. I guess I'm never gnna find out why he didn't state that he was married. Buts it's very odd. 

His wife had a sad life, as she got older she even lost her eyesight. She basically spent her entire life without him and alone. My Nani was their only child because he never came back anyway. 

Years and years later in the 70s, some of my Nanis relatives from Australia on a trip to India told my Nani that as his daughter she has a right to move to Australia because he was a soldier and that she can also claim the land that he owned, she refused both offers!  She just never liked him even though she never met the guy. But, at the same time she used to have a big portrait of him in our house in India and whenever there was a family wedding she used to make sure his portrait was shown at the beginning. Human relationships are so complex. 

He was a dapper looking guy, with a Bhagat Singh style hat slightly tilted to one side lol 

I feel sorry for the guy! ... 

We have a similar story in our family. My great grand father came back to india when he was in his forties and got married. Then passed away quite quickly. He had brought alot of money and bought so much land in punjab on his return. But his kids ( my grandad etc) were so young they didnt know what he owned. So alot of it was plundered , some ppl took advantage and grabbed the land etc. But no one really found out about his past in austrailia, did he have family or land or stuff out there.  Didnt know where to start really as my grandparents passed away so other than his name i dnt hav much info but always wondered if theres a way to know more just out of interest.

Theres one photo of him n he was mona propa dressed smart too like one of those english men photos. 

9 hours ago, AcceptWill201 said:

We have a similar story in our family. My great grand father came back to india when he was in his forties and got married. Then passed away quite quickly. He had brought alot of money and bought so much land in punjab on his return. But his kids ( my grandad etc) were so young they didnt know what he owned. So alot of it was plundered , some ppl took advantage and grabbed the land etc. But no one really found out about his past in austrailia, did he have family or land or stuff out there.  Didnt know where to start really as my grandparents passed away so other than his name i dnt hav much info but always wondered if theres a way to know more just out of interest.

Theres one photo of him n he was mona propa dressed smart too like one of those english men photos. 

Yeah I've read and heard many cases where a lot of these men had quite miserable lives afterwards. A lot of them would return back and all their jameen would be taken by their shareeka and they would be left with nothing. I also imagine many would of been shell-shocked and traumatized but i doubt they got any proper face to face therapy, apne still don't know what therapy is today let alone 70 years ago. 

The well known story of Boota Singh who married a sulli he returned back as a middle aged man only to discover that his parents had died and his Chacha/Thaiya had taken all his jameen, and when he married the sulli his family were angry because they thought he might have kids that will claim the land back.  

Quite sad really how many of them ended up. 

With my Nanis father, when he passed away my Nani received a letter from Australia by some Punjabi saying that he died in an accident and that they did his daag, and that was that!