I’m confused about my religion

Guest jm1991

I am a 28 year old Sikh girl. I used to drink alcohol but I quit, I used to eat meat but I quit. I feel bad eating animals now and I know in our religion it’s preferred I don’t eat meat. I have never ever treated someone unequally or have had ego problems. I do my work honestly and help the community. I have a soft heart. I just really regret some decisions I made before which makes me feel like I’ll be put in an endless cycle again. I lost my virginity before marriage and I’ve been regretting it everyday. I don’t know how I can make up for this or what I can do to better practice my religion. I’m always scared I will go to a bad place after death but I always try to be an honest person. Can someone please guide me and tell me what’s right or wrong. I couldn’t find the answer to this. I dont know if god will forgive me and I feel really bad doing these mistakes I did 

Basically you’ve got a ‘past’ - we all have

You already seem to have drawn line with you ‘old life’

Look forward now. Do you list to any bani? Start by listening to the Japji Sahib daily.

Do 10 mins of Vaheguru simran daily and feel the difference after 1 month.

Feel is the key word - Sikhi is beautiful but it’s to be experienced yourself 

Loads of good videos available on YT by basics of sikhi etc to learn from

Guest Dasmesh Nihang

ਕਾਮਿ ਕਰੋਧਿ ਮੋਹਿ ਵਸਿ ਕੀਆ ਕਿਰਪਨ ਲੋਭਿ ਪਿਆਰੁ ॥
kaam karodh moh vas keeaa kirapan lobh piaar ||
When you are under the power of sexual desire, anger and worldly attachment, or a greedy miser in love with your wealth;
ਚਾਰੇ ਕਿਲਵਿਖ ਉਨਿ ਅਘ ਕੀਏ ਹੋਆ ਅਸੁਰ ਸੰਘਾਰੁ ॥
chaare kilavikh un agh ke'ee hoaa asur sa(n)ghaar ||
if you have committed the four great sins and other mistakes; even if you are a murderous fiend
ਪੋਥੀ ਗੀਤ ਕਵਿਤ ਕਿਛੁ ਕਦੇ ਨ ਕਰਨਿ ਧਰਿਆ ॥
pothee geet kavit kichh kadhe na karan dhariaa ||
who has never taken the time to listen to sacred books, hymns and poetry
ਚਿਤਿ ਆਵੈ ਓਸੁ ਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ ਤਾ ਨਿਮਖ ਸਿਮਰਤ ਤਰਿਆ ॥੪॥
chit aavai os paarabraham taa nimakh simarat tariaa ||4||
-if you then come to remember the Supreme Lord God, and contemplate Him, even for a moment, you shall be saved. ||4||

Guru sahib talks about ajaamal in gurbani who was a great sinner who was forgiven in an instant

The version of the ajamal story that I have posted below is from a Hindu website so they have used some of their terminology, but just apply it to Sikhi, vaheguru  and vaheguru mantar

There was once a young brahmana named Ajamila [pronounced aj-a-meel], who was a reservoir of good character and conduct. He was mild and gentle, always truthful, well versed in the Vedic scriptures, and very pure.

One day, on the request of his father, Ajamila went to the forest to collect fruit, flowers and grasses. On the way home, he came upon a very lusty low-class man embracing and kissing a prostitute. Both of them were drunk, and the man was smiling, singing and enjoying himself without shame. The prostitute’s eyes were rolling in intoxication, and her dress had become loose. When Ajamila saw her, the lusty desires in his heart awakened, and in illusion he fell under their control.

Remembering the instructions of the scriptures, Ajamila tried not to gaze at the woman. He strained to control his lusty desires with the help of his knowledge and intellect, but he failed and as a result lost all his good sense. In the days that followed he always thought about the prostitute, and within a short time he took her as a servant in his house and abandoned all the brahminical principles.

Ajamila began spending the money he had inherited from his father on various gifts to satisfy the prostitute. He even abandoned his beautiful young wife, who came from a very respectable family. Thus Ajamila spent his long life irresponsibly breaking all the rules and regulations of the holy scriptures. He was unclean and addicted to forbidden activities. Living extravagantly, he maintained his family by harassing others, cheating, gambling and theft.

Over the eighty-eight years of Ajamila’s life, he fathered ten sons by the prostitute. Ajamila’s youngest son, a baby named Narayana, was naturally very dear to both his father and mother. The child’s broken language and awkward movements greatly endeared him to old Ajamila, who always took care of him and enjoyed his activities.

Narayana [pronounced nar-eye-an] is a name for God, and thus unintentionally the old man was always chanting the holy name of the Lord. Although he was referring to his son and not the original Narayana,Ajamila was becoming purified because the holy name of Narayana is very powerful. Always taking care of his son and calling his name, Ajamila was not aware that his own life was now exhausted. As the time of death approached for the foolish Ajamila, he began thinking exclusively of his son Narayana.

At the moment of death, Ajamila saw three awkward persons with deformed bodily features, fierce and twisted faces, and hair standing erect on their bodies. They were the Yamadutas (the servants of Yamaraja, the lord of death), and they had come to take Ajamila away to their master’s abode. When Ajamila saw them, he became extremely bewildered, and because of his attachment to his child, who was playing a short distance away, he loudly and tearfully called the child’s name: “Narayana!”

Immediately the Visnudutas, the servants of the Supreme Lord Visnu (Narayana), arrived on the spot. They had heard the holy name of their master from the mouth of the dying Ajamila, who had chanted without offense because he had chanted in complete anxiety. As the Visnudutas arrived, the Yamadutas were snatching the soul from the body of the dying Ajamila. With resounding voices, the messengers of Lord Visnu ordered them to stop and thus saved Ajamila from death. Although the servants of Yamaraja have jurisdiction over all sinful living beings, the messengers of Visnu are capable of punishing even Yamaraja himself if he wrongs a devotee of Visnu, the Supreme Lord.

When the Yamadutas were thus forbidden from carrying out their mission, they exclaimed, “Who are you, sirs, that you dare challenge the jurisdiction of Yamaraja? Whose servants are you, where have you come from, and why are you forbidding us to touch Ajamila? You may know that this man Ajamila did not undergo atonement for his sins. Because of his sinful life, we must take him to the court of Yamaraja for punishment. According to the extent of his sinful acts, he will be punished and thus purified.”

The Visnudutas replied, “Ajamila has already atoned not only for sins performed in one life but for those performed in millions of lives, for in a helpless condition he chanted the holy name of Narayana. Although he was calling his son’s name, he nevertheless uttered the four syllables na-ra-ya-na. Simply by chanting the name of Narayana in this way, he sufficiently atoned for the sinful reactions of millions of lives.

“Chanting the holy name of the Lord is the best process of atonement for a thief, for a drunkard, for one who betrays a friend or relative, for one who kills a brahmana, for one who indulges in sex with the wife of his guru or another superior, for one who murders women, the king or his father, for one who slaughters cows and for all other sinful men. Simply by chanting the holy name of the Lord, such sinful persons can attract His attention.

At the time of death, Ajamila helplessly and very loudly chanted the holy name of the Lord. That chanting alone has already freed him from the reactions of all sinful life. Therefore, O servants of Yamaraja, do not try to take him to your master for punishment. One who chants the holy name is immediately freed from the reactions of unlimited sins, even if he chants indirectly to indicate something else, jokingly, for musical entertainment, or even neglectfully. This is accepted by all the learned scholars of the scriptures. If one chants the holy name of Hari and then dies because of an accidental misfortune, one is immediately absolved from having to enter hellish life, even though he is sinful.

“Although one may neutralize the reactions of sinful life through austerity, charity, vows and other such methods, these pious activities cannot uproot the material desires in one’s heart. However, if one serves the Personality of Godhead, he is immediately freed from all such contaminations. If a person unaware of the effective potency of a certain medicine takes that medicine, it will act even without his knowledge because the medicine’s potency does not depend on the patient’s understanding. Similarly, even though one does not know the value of chanting the holy name of the Lord, if one chants knowingly or unknowingly, the chanting will be very effective.”

The Visnudutas released the brahmana Ajamila from the bondage of the Yamadutas and thus saved him from death. Ajamila, now free from fear, came to his senses and immediately offered respects to the Visnudutas by bowing his head at their feet. He was extremely pleased by their presence, for they had saved him from the Yamadutas. When the Visnudutas saw that Ajamila was attempting to say something, they suddenly disappeared.

Having heard the discourse between the Yamadutas and the Visnudutas, Ajamila could now understand the transcendental religious principles concerning the relationship between the living being and the Supreme Personality of Godhead. Furthermore, since Ajamila had heard their glorification of God, he was now a perfectly pure devotee and could thus remember all his past sinful activities, which he greatly regretted having performed.

I am such a sinful person,” he said. “But now since I have this opportunity, I must completely control my mind, life and senses and always engage in devotional service so that I may not again fall into the deep darkness and ignorance of material life. Because I identified myself with my body, I was subjected to desires for sense gratification and thus performed many pious and impious acts. That was my material bondage.But now I shall disentangle myself from that bondage. Being a most fallen soul, I was victimized by illusions and was like a dancing dog led around by a woman’s hand. Now I shall give up these lusty desires and free myself from these illusions. I shall become a merciful, well-wishing friend to all living entities and always absorb myself in Krsna consciousness.”

Because of a moment’s association with devotees of the Supreme Lord, Ajamila was able to detach himself with determination from the material conception of life. Freed from all material attraction, he immediately started for the city of Hardwar on the Ganges River. In Hardwar, Ajamila stayed at a Visnu temple, where he executed bhakti-yoga, the process of devotional service. He controlled his senses and fully applied his mind in the service of the Lord. When his intelligence and mind were fixed on the form of the Lord, Ajamila once again saw before him the four celestial messengers of Visnu. Recognizing them as the ones he had seen previously, he offered his respects by bowing down before them.

The Visnudutas had gone away for some time to allow Ajamila to become firmly fixed in meditation on the Lord. Now that his devotion had matured, they returned to take him back to the spiritual world. Upon seeing the Visnudutas, Ajamila gave up his material body and regained his original spiritual body, which was just suitable for an associate of the Lord. This is the result of perfection in Krsna consciousness: after giving up the material body, one is immediately transferred to the spiritual world in one’s original spiritual body to become an associate of the Supreme Personality of Godhead.

Accompanied by the Visnudutas, Ajamila then boarded a golden airplane that took him through the airways, directly to the abode of the Supreme Lord Visnu, the husband of the goddess of fortune. Although he had been destined to be carried away to hell by the Yamadutas, Ajamila was saved by the Visnudutas and was able to go back home, back to Godhead, because he chanted the holy name of the Lord at the time of his death. Therefore if a person faithfully and inoffensively chants the holy name of the Lord, who can doubt that he will return to Godhead?

At the time of death one is certainly bewildered because his bodily functions are in disorder. At that time, even one who throughout his life has practiced chanting the holy name of the Lord may not be able to chant the Hare Krsna mantra very distinctly.

Nevertheless, such a person receives all the benefits of chanting the holy name. While the body is fit, therefore, we should chant the holy name of the Lord loudly and distinctly. If one does so, it is quite possible that even at the time of death he will be able to properly chant the holy name of the Lord with lo

love and faith and return home, back to Godhead, without a doubt.

On 11/9/2020 at 8:15 AM, Guest jm1991 said:

I am a 28 year old Sikh girl. I used to drink alcohol but I quit, I used to eat meat but I quit. I feel bad eating animals now and I know in our religion it’s preferred I don’t eat meat. I have never ever treated someone unequally or have had ego problems. I do my work honestly and help the community. I have a soft heart. I just really regret some decisions I made before which makes me feel like I’ll be put in an endless cycle again. I lost my virginity before marriage and I’ve been regretting it everyday. I don’t know how I can make up for this or what I can do to better practice my religion. I’m always scared I will go to a bad place after death but I always try to be an honest person. Can someone please guide me and tell me what’s right or wrong. I couldn’t find the answer to this. I dont know if god will forgive me and I feel really bad doing these mistakes I did 

Do an ardas to maharaj ji and keep on going on the Sikhi path.

Guest LADLIFAUJ

Don't be disheartened we all make mistakes nobody is perfect. Even those of us who look 'religious'. Its only when we practically apply maharajs teachings that we can begin to improve our jeevan. Unfortunately we have those in our community who abuse trust and take advantage of vulnerability instead of doing the right thing. According to gurmat we commit actions which are undesirable due to the lack of knowledge of self. Maharaj isn't asking us to be perfect in every way, they urge us to understand our true selves which is akaal. Having regret of committing the act and vowing not to make a similar mistake in future would be a good start. With genuine sincerity apologise in an ardas to maharaj and ask for the blessing of maharajs knowledge so you can have a deeper understanding of self. ALSO apologise to yourself for forgetting your value and worth which caused this situation to happen. We are so blessed to have taken birth in the house of Sikhs, and Guru Sahib is an ocean of compassion. If you do your ardas with sincerity there is no way maharaj won't forgive you. Not only will maharaj overlook your shortcomings, but if you enshrine  Guru Sahibs teachings in your heart maharaj will exalt you and preserve your honour.

On a side note if the guy is sikh and your from the uk, there's  fauj out here that can help teach this guy a lesson for taking advantage of a vulnerable sikh girl. You wont need to meet them and they will be very interested in handling this as a matter of principle. DM akalisoorma on IG. 

I hope this helps gurbarakaaalll 

read as much baani as you can 

one of my friends told me he had a similar issue and he asked a Katha vachak what to do and the was told to doo lots of japji sahib da paath he told me he guy said  to try to do savah lakh in a year

but that Singh already was used too reading lots of bani I think you should do how much you can even if that is 5 mool mantras

Try to read Gurbani and understand it. And listen to kirtan. Maybe find some good sangat, some bibiyan who are of similar age to connect with to support your journey.

Maybe see a counsellor to deal with any underlying issues about past actions and what you said about regretting everyday.

I dont think anyones is in a position to comment or offer advice on whats right or wrong without knowing the full story or judging from the outside which isnt helpful. Except that whilst you cant change the past you can change now.  The Guru is your guide.

On 11/12/2020 at 6:51 PM, Guest Dasmesh Nihang said:

ਕਾਮਿ ਕਰੋਧਿ ਮੋਹਿ ਵਸਿ ਕੀਆ ਕਿਰਪਨ ਲੋਭਿ ਪਿਆਰੁ ॥
kaam karodh moh vas keeaa kirapan lobh piaar ||
When you are under the power of sexual desire, anger and worldly attachment, or a greedy miser in love with your wealth;
ਚਾਰੇ ਕਿਲਵਿਖ ਉਨਿ ਅਘ ਕੀਏ ਹੋਆ ਅਸੁਰ ਸੰਘਾਰੁ ॥
chaare kilavikh un agh ke'ee hoaa asur sa(n)ghaar ||
if you have committed the four great sins and other mistakes; even if you are a murderous fiend
ਪੋਥੀ ਗੀਤ ਕਵਿਤ ਕਿਛੁ ਕਦੇ ਨ ਕਰਨਿ ਧਰਿਆ ॥
pothee geet kavit kichh kadhe na karan dhariaa ||
who has never taken the time to listen to sacred books, hymns and poetry
ਚਿਤਿ ਆਵੈ ਓਸੁ ਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ ਤਾ ਨਿਮਖ ਸਿਮਰਤ ਤਰਿਆ ॥੪॥
chit aavai os paarabraham taa nimakh simarat tariaa ||4||
-if you then come to remember the Supreme Lord God, and contemplate Him, even for a moment, you shall be saved. ||4||

Guru sahib talks about ajaamal in gurbani who was a great sinner who was forgiven in an instant

The version of the ajamal story that I have posted below is from a Hindu website so they have used some of their terminology, but just apply it to Sikhi, vaheguru  and vaheguru mantar

There was once a young brahmana named Ajamila [pronounced aj-a-meel], who was a reservoir of good character and conduct. He was mild and gentle, always truthful, well versed in the Vedic scriptures, and very pure.

One day, on the request of his father, Ajamila went to the forest to collect fruit, flowers and grasses. On the way home, he came upon a very lusty low-class man embracing and kissing a prostitute. Both of them were drunk, and the man was smiling, singing and enjoying himself without shame. The prostitute’s eyes were rolling in intoxication, and her dress had become loose. When Ajamila saw her, the lusty desires in his heart awakened, and in illusion he fell under their control.

Remembering the instructions of the scriptures, Ajamila tried not to gaze at the woman. He strained to control his lusty desires with the help of his knowledge and intellect, but he failed and as a result lost all his good sense. In the days that followed he always thought about the prostitute, and within a short time he took her as a servant in his house and abandoned all the brahminical principles.

Ajamila began spending the money he had inherited from his father on various gifts to satisfy the prostitute. He even abandoned his beautiful young wife, who came from a very respectable family. Thus Ajamila spent his long life irresponsibly breaking all the rules and regulations of the holy scriptures. He was unclean and addicted to forbidden activities. Living extravagantly, he maintained his family by harassing others, cheating, gambling and theft.

Over the eighty-eight years of Ajamila’s life, he fathered ten sons by the prostitute. Ajamila’s youngest son, a baby named Narayana, was naturally very dear to both his father and mother. The child’s broken language and awkward movements greatly endeared him to old Ajamila, who always took care of him and enjoyed his activities.

Narayana [pronounced nar-eye-an] is a name for God, and thus unintentionally the old man was always chanting the holy name of the Lord. Although he was referring to his son and not the original Narayana,Ajamila was becoming purified because the holy name of Narayana is very powerful. Always taking care of his son and calling his name, Ajamila was not aware that his own life was now exhausted. As the time of death approached for the foolish Ajamila, he began thinking exclusively of his son Narayana.

At the moment of death, Ajamila saw three awkward persons with deformed bodily features, fierce and twisted faces, and hair standing erect on their bodies. They were the Yamadutas (the servants of Yamaraja, the lord of death), and they had come to take Ajamila away to their master’s abode. When Ajamila saw them, he became extremely bewildered, and because of his attachment to his child, who was playing a short distance away, he loudly and tearfully called the child’s name: “Narayana!”

Immediately the Visnudutas, the servants of the Supreme Lord Visnu (Narayana), arrived on the spot. They had heard the holy name of their master from the mouth of the dying Ajamila, who had chanted without offense because he had chanted in complete anxiety. As the Visnudutas arrived, the Yamadutas were snatching the soul from the body of the dying Ajamila. With resounding voices, the messengers of Lord Visnu ordered them to stop and thus saved Ajamila from death. Although the servants of Yamaraja have jurisdiction over all sinful living beings, the messengers of Visnu are capable of punishing even Yamaraja himself if he wrongs a devotee of Visnu, the Supreme Lord.

When the Yamadutas were thus forbidden from carrying out their mission, they exclaimed, “Who are you, sirs, that you dare challenge the jurisdiction of Yamaraja? Whose servants are you, where have you come from, and why are you forbidding us to touch Ajamila? You may know that this man Ajamila did not undergo atonement for his sins. Because of his sinful life, we must take him to the court of Yamaraja for punishment. According to the extent of his sinful acts, he will be punished and thus purified.”

The Visnudutas replied, “Ajamila has already atoned not only for sins performed in one life but for those performed in millions of lives, for in a helpless condition he chanted the holy name of Narayana. Although he was calling his son’s name, he nevertheless uttered the four syllables na-ra-ya-na. Simply by chanting the name of Narayana in this way, he sufficiently atoned for the sinful reactions of millions of lives.

“Chanting the holy name of the Lord is the best process of atonement for a thief, for a drunkard, for one who betrays a friend or relative, for one who kills a brahmana, for one who indulges in sex with the wife of his guru or another superior, for one who murders women, the king or his father, for one who slaughters cows and for all other sinful men. Simply by chanting the holy name of the Lord, such sinful persons can attract His attention.

At the time of death, Ajamila helplessly and very loudly chanted the holy name of the Lord. That chanting alone has already freed him from the reactions of all sinful life. Therefore, O servants of Yamaraja, do not try to take him to your master for punishment. One who chants the holy name is immediately freed from the reactions of unlimited sins, even if he chants indirectly to indicate something else, jokingly, for musical entertainment, or even neglectfully. This is accepted by all the learned scholars of the scriptures. If one chants the holy name of Hari and then dies because of an accidental misfortune, one is immediately absolved from having to enter hellish life, even though he is sinful.

“Although one may neutralize the reactions of sinful life through austerity, charity, vows and other such methods, these pious activities cannot uproot the material desires in one’s heart. However, if one serves the Personality of Godhead, he is immediately freed from all such contaminations. If a person unaware of the effective potency of a certain medicine takes that medicine, it will act even without his knowledge because the medicine’s potency does not depend on the patient’s understanding. Similarly, even though one does not know the value of chanting the holy name of the Lord, if one chants knowingly or unknowingly, the chanting will be very effective.”

The Visnudutas released the brahmana Ajamila from the bondage of the Yamadutas and thus saved him from death. Ajamila, now free from fear, came to his senses and immediately offered respects to the Visnudutas by bowing his head at their feet. He was extremely pleased by their presence, for they had saved him from the Yamadutas. When the Visnudutas saw that Ajamila was attempting to say something, they suddenly disappeared.

Having heard the discourse between the Yamadutas and the Visnudutas, Ajamila could now understand the transcendental religious principles concerning the relationship between the living being and the Supreme Personality of Godhead. Furthermore, since Ajamila had heard their glorification of God, he was now a perfectly pure devotee and could thus remember all his past sinful activities, which he greatly regretted having performed.

I am such a sinful person,” he said. “But now since I have this opportunity, I must completely control my mind, life and senses and always engage in devotional service so that I may not again fall into the deep darkness and ignorance of material life. Because I identified myself with my body, I was subjected to desires for sense gratification and thus performed many pious and impious acts. That was my material bondage.But now I shall disentangle myself from that bondage. Being a most fallen soul, I was victimized by illusions and was like a dancing dog led around by a woman’s hand. Now I shall give up these lusty desires and free myself from these illusions. I shall become a merciful, well-wishing friend to all living entities and always absorb myself in Krsna consciousness.”

Because of a moment’s association with devotees of the Supreme Lord, Ajamila was able to detach himself with determination from the material conception of life. Freed from all material attraction, he immediately started for the city of Hardwar on the Ganges River. In Hardwar, Ajamila stayed at a Visnu temple, where he executed bhakti-yoga, the process of devotional service. He controlled his senses and fully applied his mind in the service of the Lord. When his intelligence and mind were fixed on the form of the Lord, Ajamila once again saw before him the four celestial messengers of Visnu. Recognizing them as the ones he had seen previously, he offered his respects by bowing down before them.

The Visnudutas had gone away for some time to allow Ajamila to become firmly fixed in meditation on the Lord. Now that his devotion had matured, they returned to take him back to the spiritual world. Upon seeing the Visnudutas, Ajamila gave up his material body and regained his original spiritual body, which was just suitable for an associate of the Lord. This is the result of perfection in Krsna consciousness: after giving up the material body, one is immediately transferred to the spiritual world in one’s original spiritual body to become an associate of the Supreme Personality of Godhead.

Accompanied by the Visnudutas, Ajamila then boarded a golden airplane that took him through the airways, directly to the abode of the Supreme Lord Visnu, the husband of the goddess of fortune. Although he had been destined to be carried away to hell by the Yamadutas, Ajamila was saved by the Visnudutas and was able to go back home, back to Godhead, because he chanted the holy name of the Lord at the time of his death. Therefore if a person faithfully and inoffensively chants the holy name of the Lord, who can doubt that he will return to Godhead?

At the time of death one is certainly bewildered because his bodily functions are in disorder. At that time, even one who throughout his life has practiced chanting the holy name of the Lord may not be able to chant the Hare Krsna mantra very distinctly.

Nevertheless, such a person receives all the benefits of chanting the holy name. While the body is fit, therefore, we should chant the holy name of the Lord loudly and distinctly. If one does so, it is quite possible that even at the time of death he will be able to properly chant the holy name of the Lord with lo

love and faith and return home, back to Godhead, without a doubt.

Wow... What a beautiful reply Dashmesh Nihang Ji.. 

I just finished reading the story of Ajamila... really interesting ..

Thank you :)

On 11/9/2020 at 12:15 PM, Guest jm1991 said:

You have a beautiful soul.. Being vegetarian, honest and treating everyone equally is not easy these days.. you are doing great.. Yes, Kaam (lust) in one of the 5 vices and Many of us are doing it these days... but not many are aware of it...

Waheguru ji love their children.. you are trying to be a better human.. It is Waheguru's Kirpa that you have realized  what is wrong and right... it is Waheguru's kirpa that you feel bad about certain things and it is Waheguru's kirpa that  you want to be better human :)

Please don't go so much into your past.. Enjoy your present...No more regrets and only a grateful heart with Guru's Kirpa..