Why does India have a major rape issue

puzzled

2 hours ago, Niara said:

Sexual repression I'd guess, men get frustrated and take it out on women in the street or young girls and boys. The caste system probably adds another element to it since many feel they can sexually abuse the lower castes and get away with it

Then again, some of the most sexually liberal countries which are in Latin America also have some of the highest levels of sexual violence against women in the world so not sure if that's the reason.

I think the country side in many Latin American nations is quite conservative, unlike major urban centers. 

3 hours ago, puzzled said:

Could it be the media? the movies and music videos in India are very suggestive and sexual, while Indian society is mostly very conservative. Highly sexual music videos in a conservative country surely can create some damage and weird behaviour ? which eventually leads to horrific crime.

it was never a women friendly society , just look who their heroes are devte who rape, committed incest , sexually harassed women bathing etc etc , who call women kalankni , polluter , unclean . It is amazing how dalits are unclean and shunned unless your lustful evil thoughts need satisfying . They call the invaders malaech what are they themselves , who made the rasam of dheeaaan to satisfy the invaders and allow themselves to go free and enjoy life? Who refused to give sanctuary to their daughters and daughters-in-law , wives after being freed by Singh. 
This is the curse of becoming like those you serve and focus on ...

Thankfully things are better in Punjab. Sikhi really did civilise people. I have seen countless dirty comments and rape threats online from Indians, they have all been from Hindus.

The reasons for India's shocking rape statistics are:

1. Sexual frustration and Indians getting married later in life. Previously people used to get married as teenagers or in their early 20s, nowadays it's late 20s or early 30s.

2. India in general is a very conservative country  which leads to a lot of sexual repression and when Indians see highly sexuallised scenes in Bollywood movies this makes them act out.

3. Law and order is pathetic, in a lot of states the higher caste people can do whatever they please with lower castes and the police won't do anything about it.

4. Women are seen as objects, second class citizens by a lot of the male populace.

I'm sure things are even worse in Pakistan but they probably don't report it as much over there and I've heard in Sharia Law another man has to witness the rape for it to be believable, <banned word filter activated>!

2 hours ago, ChardikalaUK said:

Thankfully things are better in Punjab. Sikhi really did civilise people. I have seen countless dirty comments and rape threats online from Indians, they have all been from Hindus.

I was giving this subject a thought last night, and I think you're correct. We may have serious intra-communal issues when it comes to certain cultural norms and things of an ingrained nature, but Sikhi has helped to civilise us in certain respects. 

You have to realise India is a big place with 1.3bn folks. The media and things like Bollywood are very Pervy these days, and they are all in a race to the bottom in terms of morality. Then you have the idea that being 'modern' means having western values (relationships etc)...and critically these days everyone has a smart phone and access to the internet...so for the first time millions have ready access to 'filth'. India is in trouble 

I think it has to do with city life and media and immigration.

We used to live in villages where you knew everyone since childhood. And could be disciplined by any elder (takes a village to raise kids etc)

All the oldies say that boys and girls used to play together till seventeen eighteen, no bad thoughts anywhere. 

But moving to cities and the media have changed the dynamic on how to relate to ppl and no elders to pass on dharmic values. And most indian cities have immigrants from all over. And i think the rurals have the wrong image of city women and are probably frustrated that their Moving to the Big City dream hasnt materialized.

This is not only an indian problem. Most ppl in the west say the same, that they used to play outside and roam anywhere in the small towns. But once different ethnicites moves in, the unity of  a city, the trust in the neighbors disappears. 

Also, statistically, i think rape is less in india than in western countries thats why it makes the news so mucb.

But this whole gang rape thing does seem to be prevalent in the Middle Asia only( middle east counties plus india). 

Europeans were shocked by it when the 'refugees' moved in.

I think its cuz only in crowds can they forget that what their doing is wrong, and they need the mob madness to get over their inhibitions. 

So in a way, prevalence of gang rapes over rapes in a society shows that it isnt that dangerous/fallen?