Sikhi parchar among Hindu Jaats

proactive

These Jaats are an interesting people. From my research they are split into three groups. The Punjabi Jaats, these are Jats from Punjab who moved into western UP possibly before the Jats in Punjab converted to Sikhism en masse or when Jats had only started to convert to Sikhism. They have the same gots as us, such as Sidhu, Sandhu, Chahal, Dhillon etc and are probably about 15-20% of the Jaats. The ones in UP are virtually Nanakpanthi Sikhs and they use the Guru Granth Sahib in their ceremonies. The ones in Haryana are more Hindu than Sikh. The next are the Deswali Jaats, they are the majority of Jaats and have gots of which only a few are found among Sikhs such as Jakhar, Ahlawat, Malik, Sangwan etc. They are probably about 50-60% of Jaats and they have no connection to Sikhism because no parchar had ever taken place among them. They are in south western UP, Haryana and Bharatpur and Dholpur districts of Rajasthan. The Punjab Jaats are mostly in Moradabad district and northern Haryana. The last group are the Bagri Jaats, they mostly inhabit Hissar and Sirsa districts of Haryana and Bikaner districts of Rajasthan. There are some Bagri Jaats in Fazilka and Abohar tehsils of Punjab. Some of these Bagri Jaats are Sikhs in Punjab but no parchar has ever taken place among the ones outside of Punjab. 

We have relatives in Haryana, they live in Hisar and Rohtak, basically my nanis cousins and their sons, grandkids. I've been told some of them were from UP but sold all their jameen and settled in Haryana. Despite being distant relatives, my nanis nanke and dhadke, they still invite us and we invite them. I've never been Haryana but my mother has visited them. She said its absolutely identical to Punjab, same people, houses, fields etc But they talk Hindi there, while the Sikhs speak Punjabi, the Hindus speak Hindi but they fully understand Punjabi. The Hindu neighbours were really friendly, when my mum visited our relatives all the Hindu neighbours came to say hello. My mother said everyone is really friendly and mixed there.  

Other than that its a proper macho culture! They all have swords, guns and rifles in their houses and displayed on the walls lol! My Nanis cousin took a big rifle out of the draw and showed it to my mum lol   I wish I went as well lol 

The men wear chaddars and have big moustache! and they walk around with axes and canes, its like the culture there. Which is pretty cool imo  much better than the skinny jeans and f@g hairstyles you see in Punjab today. 

9 minutes ago, puzzled said:

We have relatives in Haryana, they live in Hisar and Rohtak, basically my nanis cousins and their sons, grandkids. I've been told some of them were from UP but sold all their jameen and settled in Haryana. Despite being distant relatives, my nanis peke and dhadke, they still invite us and we invite them. I've never been Haryana but my mother has visited them. She said its absolutely identical to Punjab, same people, houses, fields etc But they talk Hindi there, while the Sikhs speak Punjabi, the Hindus speak Hindi but they fully understand Punjabi. The Hindu neighbours were really friendly, when my mum visited our relatives all the Hindu neighbours came to say hello. My mother said everyone is really friendly and mixed there.  

Other than that its a proper macho culture! They all have swords, guns and rifles in their houses and displayed on the walls lol! My Nanis cousin took a big rifle out of the draw and showed it to my mum lol   I wish I went as well lol 

The men wear chaddars and have big moustache! and they walk around with axes and canes, its like the culture there. Which is pretty cool imo  much better than the skinny jeans and f@g hairstyles you see in Punjab today. 

What do you feel their thinking is behind adopting that particular style? I don't think we can entirely blame Western influence because they get triggered when anyone suggests they are trying to assume a non-Indian or non-Punjabi manner derived from Westernised fashion. But it's not classic Punjabi style, is it? So, could it be a natural progression of Indian style in the modern era being influenced by the larger urban or metropolitan areas?

33 minutes ago, puzzled said:

We have relatives in Haryana, they live in Hisar and Rohtak, basically my nanis cousins and their sons, grandkids. I've been told some of them were from UP but sold all their jameen and settled in Haryana. Despite being distant relatives, my nanis nanke and dhadke, they still invite us and we invite them. I've never been Haryana but my mother has visited them. She said its absolutely identical to Punjab, same people, houses, fields etc But they talk Hindi there, while the Sikhs speak Punjabi, the Hindus speak Hindi but they fully understand Punjabi. The Hindu neighbours were really friendly, when my mum visited our relatives all the Hindu neighbours came to say hello. My mother said everyone is really friendly and mixed there.  

If you take a train from Punjab to Delhi, Haryana is virtually indistinguishable from Punjab. 

I have relatives near Delhi and one of their friends is Haryanvi. That is the only Haryanvi I've ever met. Seemed like a nice chap.

But I know people in Delhi and Gurgaon are scares of them.

10 minutes ago, MisterrSingh said:

What do you feel their thinking is behind adopting that particular style? I don't think we can entirely blame Western influence because they get triggered when anyone suggests they are trying to assume a non-Indian or non-Punjabi manner derived from Westernised fashion. But it's not classic Punjabi style, is it? So, could it be a natural progression of Indian style in the modern era being influenced by the larger urban or metropolitan areas?

I honestly think it is their own style. A bit like how Japanese young people dress really weird, you can't tell which is the boy and which is the girl sometimes with the Japanese.

The Punjabi/Indian singers first come up with the looks, for example Punjabi singer Parmesh Verma started doing his beard in a particular way and then every guy in Punjab started doing it, and when Parmesh Verma released his next song he mentions in it how every guy in Punjab copied his dhari. 

The Celebs do it first, then the shahry lot and then the pendus. But this particular look is far more popular with the Indian pendus, while a lot of the Indian kids in the urban and metropolitan areas go for a goofy geeky look. 

The look is inspired by the west but they add their own wacky look to it which makes them look like g@ndus. And that is the Punjabi look.

A lot of the guys get their eyebrows done as well and arms waxed, my cousin gets his eyebrows done and arms waxed as well. When i used to be a mona and get my haircut and dhari done in india they also used to ask me if i want to get my eyebrows threaded. The guys also get full body massages done by the nai's. Guys in Punjab visit the beauty parlour and get pampered more than the women basically, the pendu girls say this as well. 

So they basically have created their own look, which is inspired by the west but they add their own twist to it. 

The bazurgs think the youngsters look like bandhars these days, which is quite accurate.

Most pendu guys think us westerners are plain Janes (the male version)   My cousin told me how they do a lot more shakeeni then us. 

A recent trend is wearing 2 or 3 earrings on each ear. 

8 minutes ago, Ranjeet01 said:

If you take a train from Punjab to Delhi, Haryana is virtually indistinguishable from Punjab. 

I have relatives near Delhi and one of their friends is Haryanvi. That is the only Haryanvi I've ever met. Seemed like a nice chap.

But I know people in Delhi and Gurgaon are scares of them.

Yeah that's true,  we took a train from Phagwara to Nanded and all the way up to Delhi everything was the same. After Delhi peoples appearances started changing and everything just looked different. After Delhi It was like a completely culture/country. 

6 minutes ago, puzzled said:

Yeah that's true,  we took a train from Phagwara to Nanded and all the way up to Delhi everything was the same. After Delhi peoples appearances started changing and everything just looked different. After Delhi It was like a completely culture/country. 

If you have ever been to Gurgaon, it is actually South of Delhi, it is still Haryana but it is right on the borders of Madya Pradesh.

That is far down Haryana goes.

38 minutes ago, MisterrSingh said:

Some people grow out of shakeeni as they grow older and mature. Others spend their entire lives under its influence.

Yeah a bit like those 45  year old Punjabis who still dress like Jazzy B, well Jazzy B himself falls under that category now lol! 

I think that's a midlife crisis. 

13 minutes ago, puzzled said:

Yeah a bit like those 45  year old Punjabis who still dress like Jazzy B, well Jazzy B himself falls under that category now lol! 

I think that's a midlife crisis. 

I think it's more than that. You've probably heard of the phrase, "An old soul" used in reference to a young child or youth who has a mature or sensible air about them that's ingrained in their sense of Self, whereas there's guys like those you mentioned who spend most of their lives as if they're unruly teens.