Sobha Singh- Guru Nanak Dev ji - self portrait?

puzzled

Came across this a few years back. Some believe that the really famous painting of Guru Nanak Dev ji, painted by Sobha Singh was actually a based on Sobha Singhs own face! or was at least the inspiration behind it.

If you look at it then there definitely are some similarities between Sobha Singhs self portrait and the portrait of Guru Nanak Dev ji. Especially the nose, moustache and lips area, the shape of the beard and how he painted Guru jis beard white but did his eyebrows black, just like his own!    Made me think twice about the Sobha Singh Guru Nanak portrait hanging in my living room!  I know it's just an artists imagination but it could really just be Sobha Singh staring back at us! 

I've personally never liked Sobha Singhs work, though his painting of SonhiMahiwal is quite beautiful. 

PAINTING OF GURU NANAK …FAKE? WHAT A WONDER … SOMEONE SEEMS TO HAVE THE  ORIGINAL?? | Gur Vichar

4 hours ago, puzzled said:

Came across this a few years back. Some believe that the really famous painting of Guru Nanak Dev ji, painted by Sobha Singh was actually a based on Sobha Singhs own face! or was at least the inspiration behind it.

If you look at it then there definitely are some similarities between Sobha Singhs self portrait and the portrait of Guru Nanak Dev ji. Especially the nose, moustache and lips area, the shape of the beard and how he painted Guru jis beard white but did his eyebrows black, just like his own!    Made me think twice about the Sobha Singh Guru Nanak portrait hanging in my living room!  I know it's just an artists imagination but it could really just be Sobha Singh staring back at us! 

I've personally never liked Sobha Singhs work, though his painting of SonhiMahiwal is quite beautiful. 

PAINTING OF GURU NANAK …FAKE? WHAT A WONDER … SOMEONE SEEMS TO HAVE THE  ORIGINAL?? | Gur Vichar

Don’t look much alike to me

ive been told Sant Mohinder Singh Ji (Rara Sahib/Jarg) said Sobha Singh’s picture of 1st Guru was very good as it most resembles 1st Guru true likeness

3 hours ago, Premi5 said:

Don’t look much alike to me

ive been told Sant Mohinder Singh Ji (Rara Sahib/Jarg) said Sobha Singh’s picture of 1st Guru was very good as it most resembles 1st Guru true likeness

I think it was bhai vir Singh hi or some other famous gursikh that sobha called to have a look at the painting and the gursikh was displeased and said “my guru Nanak dev ji doesn’t look like that”. 

We shouldn’t even have paintings of guru sahib anyway smh

• 1 year later...