Veganism

Premi5

Lifelong vegetarian. Definitely have some intolerance to lactose, so not a typical big mild drinker for example, as many punjabis are.

Veganism has grown massively in recent years. It seems even more popular than vegetarianism. I am aware that the dairy industry is not 'clean' - a lot of 'supplements' like steroids and antibiotics are given to the cows that produce the milk. It seems these cows are probably not treated very well, e.g. live in overcroded conditions, and are likely being 'milked' (excuse the pun) as much as possible which probably is not too healthy for them and the subsequent milk produced.

A couple of thoughts/queries on this. 

Why is milk so revered and such a big part of the Indian/Hindu culture, of which Sikhi is closely linked (but different)? Was milk in the older days different? Is there such a big difference between buffalo vs cow's milk? Is milk from goats for example any good?

Milk is supposedly a great source of calcium and therefore essential for bone health, but I understand the Japanese are very low consumers of dairy and have the lowest rates of osteoporosis worldwide- is there something different in their lifestyle that protects their bones?

A majority of meat-free vegan food and staple of vegan diets is soya which seems to contain and/or promote estrogen production - is this another game being played by 'them' to change society and feminise it ?

Hopefully what I have said makes sense. 

@jkvlondon - especially awaiting your views!

I've been mainly vegan since March this year, but not 100%. I still eat mitai because I can't help myself or stop myself from eating it. I ate 2 boxes of besan and around 2kg jalebis over the Dushera and Diwali season. But that's only over the festive season. 

But since eating mainly vegan i personally haven't felt any changes at all, same size, weight etc no difference at all ...

I eat a lot of apples, tomatoes, grapes , carrots, bananas, almonds and other nuts, porridge etc  At night i have roti. 

B4 all this I used to drink a lot of milk and I loved cheese.  

I stopped dairy products because how animals are treated in farms, they are punched, kicked and beaten, constantly impregnated which makes their life expectancy half of what it should be, i don't want to be part of any of that.

2 hours ago, Premi5 said:

Lifelong vegetarian. Definitely have some intolerance to lactose, so not a typical big mild drinker for example, as many punjabis are.

Veganism has grown massively in recent years. It seems even more popular than vegetarianism. I am aware that the dairy industry is not 'clean' - a lot of 'supplements' like steroids and antibiotics are given to the cows that produce the milk. It seems these cows are probably not treated very well, e.g. live in overcroded conditions, and are likely being 'milked' (excuse the pun) as much as possible which probably is not too healthy for them and the subsequent milk produced.

A couple of thoughts/queries on this. 

Why is milk so revered and such a big part of the Indian/Hindu culture, of which Sikhi is closely linked (but different)? Was milk in the older days different? Is there such a big difference between buffalo vs cow's milk? Is milk from goats for example any good?

Milk is supposedly a great source of calcium and therefore essential for bone health, but I understand the Japanese are very low consumers of dairy and have the lowest rates of osteoporosis worldwide- is there something different in their lifestyle that protects their bones?

A majority of meat-free vegan food and staple of vegan diets is soya which seems to contain and/or promote estrogen production - is this another game being played by 'them' to change society and feminise it ?

Hopefully what I have said makes sense. 

@jkvlondon - especially awaiting your views!

OK here's the low down Calcium is abundant in all leafy veg , and fruits and nuts , I cured my saura's osteoporosis by telling him to skip the calcium supplements  and eat leafy  green veg every day and oranges  , our bazurg had healthy bones back in the day because of  thandaii - almond, poppyseed based drink , loads of saag (including wild plants not just sarson ), sabjiaan, dhal  , til de ladoo etc   , and loads of weight bearing activities . 

you need phosphorus , magnesium. vitamin K, loads of sunshine/vitamin D, calcium , selenium, silica   to have strong pliable bones .

Hindus worship Kamdhen  the cow who nutures all  thus the elevation of her milk  but even in India you can see how they are mistreated, left to roam and eat rubbish and this is how they treat their 'mother' .

Japanese at lots of greens including seaweeds  and tofu is naturally calcium rich

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/15-calcium-rich-foods

2 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

Hindus worship Kamdhen  the cow who nutures all  thus the elevation of her milk  but even in India you can see how they are mistreated, left to roam and eat rubbish and this is how they treat their 'mother' .

Never understood this hypocrisy, they worship the animal yet millions of starving cows are roaming the streets, just skin and bone. Many eat plastic bags out of desperation. India really is a land of contradictions. 

Was talking to this old chap in my dads pind, he was around 80 years old and he said that back in his days the bamhans in the pind used wake up in the morning and touch the cows feet! he was like look at the state of the cows today.

Cows are actually intelligent animals, they can experience a lot of complex emotions and even shed tears. There was a video online from India during Eid and cows were lined up for slaughter and each and every cow had tears running down their eyes.

A few years back when i went India i went to one of those gau ashrams and fed cows lol. 

10 hours ago, puzzled said:

I've been mainly vegan since March this year, but not 100%. I still eat mitai because I can't help myself or stop myself from eating it. I ate 2 boxes of besan and around 2kg jalebis over the Dushera and Diwali season. But that's only over the festive season. 

I can't go vegan. Literally impossible for me. My mum would kill me if I stop drinking milk.

Back to OP, a lot of people go vegan for health as well. Gorey loose a lot of weight from cutting back all the meat.

I'm pretty close to turning Vegan, the older i get the more by body disagrees with certain things, diary is pretty much at the top of the list, I've reduced my paneer intake (no easy thing in a Punjabi household) because i started getting severe headaches when eating it too often, i've gone over to plant/nut based milks, the only problem is Gulab Jamuns, damn that milk powder.

15 hours ago, Kaurr said:

I can't go vegan. Literally impossible for me. My mum would kill me if I stop drinking milk.

Back to OP, a lot of people go vegan for health as well. Gorey loose a lot of weight from cutting back all the meat.

Your still young so I'm not surprised lol, w8 another couples years then you can decide your own diet. 

I watched a documentary about Australian farming and slaughter houses which made me vegan, its called Dominion 2018.

I know this Sikh family who are all vegan and they introduced me to being vegan. 

Gladiators actually had a plant based diet! So people who say being veggie or vegan makes you weak are just talking crap. Obviously Gladiators were mostly selected because of their size/strength, but they still had a plant based diet and wrestled with lions and bulls! 

I believe, and correct me if I'm wrong, but Baba Deep Singh mainly ate beris.