Jump to content
Premi5

Veganism

Recommended Posts

Lifelong vegetarian. Definitely have some intolerance to lactose, so not a typical big mild drinker for example, as many punjabis are.

Veganism has grown massively in recent years. It seems even more popular than vegetarianism. I am aware that the dairy industry is not 'clean' - a lot of 'supplements' like steroids and antibiotics are given to the cows that produce the milk. It seems these cows are probably not treated very well, e.g. live in overcroded conditions, and are likely being 'milked' (excuse the pun) as much as possible which probably is not too healthy for them and the subsequent milk produced.

A couple of thoughts/queries on this. 

Why is milk so revered and such a big part of the Indian/Hindu culture, of which Sikhi is closely linked (but different)? Was milk in the older days different? Is there such a big difference between buffalo vs cow's milk? Is milk from goats for example any good?

Milk is supposedly a great source of calcium and therefore essential for bone health, but I understand the Japanese are very low consumers of dairy and have the lowest rates of osteoporosis worldwide- is there something different in their lifestyle that protects their bones?

A majority of meat-free vegan food and staple of vegan diets is soya which seems to contain and/or promote estrogen production - is this another game being played by 'them' to change society and feminise it ?

Hopefully what I have said makes sense. 

@jkvlondon - especially awaiting your views!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been mainly vegan since March this year, but not 100%. I still eat mitai because I can't help myself or stop myself from eating it. I ate 2 boxes of besan and around 2kg jalebis over the Dushera and Diwali season. But that's only over the festive season. 

But since eating mainly vegan i personally haven't felt any changes at all, same size, weight etc no difference at all ...

I eat a lot of apples, tomatoes, grapes , carrots, bananas, almonds and other nuts, porridge etc  At night i have roti. 

B4 all this I used to drink a lot of milk and I loved cheese.  

I stopped dairy products because how animals are treated in farms, they are punched, kicked and beaten, constantly impregnated which makes their life expectancy half of what it should be, i don't want to be part of any of that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been having some very strong meat cravings the last few days though, been veggie since for nearly 5 years now, so not sure where these cravings came from. Really fancy a Doner Kebab or a nice chunky beef burger, but I'm obviously not going to lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Premi5 said:

Lifelong vegetarian. Definitely have some intolerance to lactose, so not a typical big mild drinker for example, as many punjabis are.

Veganism has grown massively in recent years. It seems even more popular than vegetarianism. I am aware that the dairy industry is not 'clean' - a lot of 'supplements' like steroids and antibiotics are given to the cows that produce the milk. It seems these cows are probably not treated very well, e.g. live in overcroded conditions, and are likely being 'milked' (excuse the pun) as much as possible which probably is not too healthy for them and the subsequent milk produced.

A couple of thoughts/queries on this. 

Why is milk so revered and such a big part of the Indian/Hindu culture, of which Sikhi is closely linked (but different)? Was milk in the older days different? Is there such a big difference between buffalo vs cow's milk? Is milk from goats for example any good?

Milk is supposedly a great source of calcium and therefore essential for bone health, but I understand the Japanese are very low consumers of dairy and have the lowest rates of osteoporosis worldwide- is there something different in their lifestyle that protects their bones?

A majority of meat-free vegan food and staple of vegan diets is soya which seems to contain and/or promote estrogen production - is this another game being played by 'them' to change society and feminise it ?

Hopefully what I have said makes sense. 

@jkvlondon - especially awaiting your views!

OK here's the low down Calcium is abundant in all leafy veg , and fruits and nuts , I cured my saura's osteoporosis by telling him to skip the calcium supplements  and eat leafy  green veg every day and oranges  , our bazurg had healthy bones back in the day because of  thandaii - almond, poppyseed based drink , loads of saag (including wild plants not just sarson ), sabjiaan, dhal  , til de ladoo etc   , and loads of weight bearing activities . 

you need phosphorus , magnesium. vitamin K, loads of sunshine/vitamin D, calcium , selenium, silica   to have strong pliable bones .

Hindus worship Kamdhen  the cow who nutures all  thus the elevation of her milk  but even in India you can see how they are mistreated, left to roam and eat rubbish and this is how they treat their 'mother' .

Japanese at lots of greens including seaweeds  and tofu is naturally calcium rich

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/15-calcium-rich-foods

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

Hindus worship Kamdhen  the cow who nutures all  thus the elevation of her milk  but even in India you can see how they are mistreated, left to roam and eat rubbish and this is how they treat their 'mother' .

Never understood this hypocrisy, they worship the animal yet millions of starving cows are roaming the streets, just skin and bone. Many eat plastic bags out of desperation. India really is a land of contradictions. 

Was talking to this old chap in my dads pind, he was around 80 years old and he said that back in his days the bamhans in the pind used wake up in the morning and touch the cows feet! he was like look at the state of the cows today.

Cows are actually intelligent animals, they can experience a lot of complex emotions and even shed tears. There was a video online from India during Eid and cows were lined up for slaughter and each and every cow had tears running down their eyes.

A few years back when i went India i went to one of those gau ashrams and fed cows lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, puzzled said:

I've been mainly vegan since March this year, but not 100%. I still eat mitai because I can't help myself or stop myself from eating it. I ate 2 boxes of besan and around 2kg jalebis over the Dushera and Diwali season. But that's only over the festive season. 

I can't go vegan. Literally impossible for me. My mum would kill me if I stop drinking milk.

Back to OP, a lot of people go vegan for health as well. Gorey loose a lot of weight from cutting back all the meat.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm pretty close to turning Vegan, the older i get the more by body disagrees with certain things, diary is pretty much at the top of the list, I've reduced my paneer intake (no easy thing in a Punjabi household) because i started getting severe headaches when eating it too often, i've gone over to plant/nut based milks, the only problem is Gulab Jamuns, damn that milk powder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Kaurr said:

I can't go vegan. Literally impossible for me. My mum would kill me if I stop drinking milk.

Back to OP, a lot of people go vegan for health as well. Gorey loose a lot of weight from cutting back all the meat.

 

Your still young so I'm not surprised lol, w8 another couples years then you can decide your own diet. 

I watched a documentary about Australian farming and slaughter houses which made me vegan, its called Dominion 2018.

I know this Sikh family who are all vegan and they introduced me to being vegan. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gladiators actually had a plant based diet! So people who say being veggie or vegan makes you weak are just talking crap. Obviously Gladiators were mostly selected because of their size/strength, but they still had a plant based diet and wrestled with lions and bulls! 

I believe, and correct me if I'm wrong, but Baba Deep Singh mainly ate beris.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, GurjantGnostic said:

Maintaining muscle mass has more to do with glucose levels than it does protein intake. A fruit rich diet can easily sustain muscle mass. 

Really Veerji ?

Not heard that before

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Premi5 said:

Really Veerji ?

Not heard that before

According to the united states military the single most important factor to keeping muscle mass is preventing your body from cannibalizing it's own muscle to get the atp out of it. Which it does any time the brain does not have enough glucose.  The brain trumps muscle in the body hierarchy of needs.  And so if needed it will dump muscle to get at sugar in a heartbeat.  And the best way to prevent that is have a really stable and ample blood sugar. Which is readily achievable with the variety sugars in fruit. 

They also no longer encourage rationing food for the same reason. They now recommend to eat enough of your food supplies to take care of your body's needs or no food at all and let it go into pure fat burning mode. Which it won't do if you eat anything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Premi5 said:

Really Veerji ?

Not heard that before

the human body grows the quickest in the first year of life building mass at exponential rate , you would think then that breastmilk is protein heavy to do that, but it is not, it is : 3%--5% fat, 0.8%--0.9% protein, 6.9%--7.2% carbohydrate  , so it is clear that protein has been oversold as the reason muscle mass is growing . In fact , too much protein hikes up IG2 levels which is not good long term as it leads to insulin resistance and therefore knockon  symptoms like high cholestrol , high BP even diabetes , whey protein is notorious for this . Take your proteins as wholefoods plantbased  and the added fibre will lessen the spiking of insulin, additional plant minerals and amino acids will help with muscle recovery and firing , Remember the body will reutilise proteins from broken down cells with additional intake so the needs are not really that high , Gladiators and soldiers would eat barley to keep their body glucagon levels steady at a cheap price monetarily.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/2/2020 at 11:45 AM, puzzled said:

I've been having some very strong meat cravings the last few days though, been veggie since for nearly 5 years now, so not sure where these cravings came from. Really fancy a Doner Kebab or a nice chunky beef burger, but I'm obviously not going to lol. 

Could be due to deficiencies. Start taking iron b12 supplements or any multivitamin.. Also eat quinoa, has complete protein

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/3/2020 at 5:46 AM, kcmidlands said:

I'm pretty close to turning Vegan, the older i get the more by body disagrees with certain things, diary is pretty much at the top of the list, I've reduced my paneer intake (no easy thing in a Punjabi household) because i started getting severe headaches when eating it too often, i've gone over to plant/nut based milks, the only problem is Gulab Jamuns, damn that milk powder.

You should try the satvic diet as promoted by satvic movement youtube channel. Punjabis have big risk of diabetes..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...



  • Topics

  • Posts

    • The most stupidist idiotic thing I heard. Disgusting.
    • Two wrongs together dont make a right. You will probably mislead her and make her rebel against her parents.
    • Just do EXACTLY as your parents say. When you grow up you will understand why they were right. if you dont listen to them now, you will likely spend your entire life regretting what u did.
    • Look at it this way - if we theoretically say yes one can take birth again as a Sikh, how will that affect their Simran now? Also if one takes birth again how will they remember that they are supposed to do Simran? What will stop them from asking this question again? http://sttm.co/s/48/524 ਭਈ ਪਰਾਪਤਿ ਮਾਨੁਖ ਦੇਹੁਰੀਆ ॥ bhiee paraapat maanukh dhehureeaa || This human body has been given to you. ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਮਿਲਣ ਕੀ ਇਹ ਤੇਰੀ ਬਰੀਆ ॥ gobi(n)dh milan kee ieh teree bareeaa || This is your chance to meet the Lord of the Universe. ਅਵਰਿ ਕਾਜ ਤੇਰੈ ਕਿਤੈ ਨ ਕਾਮ ॥ avar kaaj terai kitai na kaam || Nothing else will work. ਮਿਲੁ ਸਾਧਸੰਗਤਿ ਭਜੁ ਕੇਵਲ ਨਾਮ ॥੧॥ mil saadhasa(n)gat bhaj keval naam ||1|| Join the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy; vibrate and meditate on the Jewel of the Naam. ||1|| ਸਰੰਜਾਮਿ ਲਾਗੁ ਭਵਜਲ ਤਰਨ ਕੈ ॥ sara(n)jaam laag bhavajal taran kai || Make every effort to cross over this terrifying world-ocean. ਜਨਮੁ ਬ੍ਰਿਥਾ ਜਾਤ ਰੰਗਿ ਮਾਇਆ ਕੈ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ janam birathaa jaat ra(n)g maiaa kai ||1|| rahaau || You are squandering this life uselessly in the love of Maya. ||1||Pause|| ਜਪੁ ਤਪੁ ਸੰਜਮੁ ਧਰਮੁ ਨ ਕਮਾਇਆ ॥ jap tap sa(n)jam dharam na kamaiaa || I have not practiced meditation, self-discipline, self-restraint or righteous living. ਸੇਵਾ ਸਾਧ ਨ ਜਾਨਿਆ ਹਰਿ ਰਾਇਆ ॥ sevaa saadh na jaaniaa har raiaa || I have not served the Holy; I have not acknowledged the Lord, my King. ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਹਮ ਨੀਚ ਕਰੰਮਾ ॥ kahu naanak ham neech kara(n)maa || Says Nanak, my actions are contemptible! ਸਰਣਿ ਪਰੇ ਕੀ ਰਾਖਹੁ ਸਰਮਾ ॥੨॥੪॥ saran pare kee raakhahu saramaa ||2||4|| O Lord, I seek Your Sanctuary; please, preserve my honor! ||2||4||
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use