Sign in to follow this  
shastarSingh

Maharaja Ranjit Singh had full Dasam Granth memorized!

This is a great katha done by Gyani Sher Singh, several videos long.

People who become Kings and Queens I'm guessing they did a lot of bhakti in their past lives ? 

• Like 1

On 12/6/2020 at 5:19 AM, puzzled said:

People who become Kings and Queens I'm guessing they did a lot of bhakti in their past lives ? 

Definetly, that's how they became kings and queens in the first place.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChardikalaUK said:

He was a drunk and serial fornicator.

He was a bit more than this: a political and military genius. And that's not to sideline your criticism of him, it's just (in my opinion) he was infinitely more complex and capable than what you posted seems to suggest. 

But yes, he wasn't perfect - none of us are.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

He was a bit more than this: a political and military genius.

True, but I don't think his mother-In-law sardarni Sada Kaur gets the credit or recognition she should, she was responsible for his rise to power and conquering Lahore the capital.  He was a 13/14 year old orphan belonging to the sukerchakia misl which was one of the smallest misls ruling over Gujranwala and a few villages. Sada Kaur on the other hand led the Kanheya misl after her husband died, it was one of the biggest and strongest misls. She saw potential in the 14 year old Ranjit Singh and took him under her wing and helped him conquer important cities including Lahore. She was the mastermind behind it all, a true visionary, and she was damn right about it too. But unfortunately got on his wrong side later on lol!   

• Like 2

3 hours ago, puzzled said:

True, but I don't think his mother-In-law sardarni Sada Kaur gets the credit or recognition she should, she was responsible for his rise to power and conquering Lahore the capital.  He was a 13/14 year old orphan belonging to the sukerchakia misl which was one of the smallest misls ruling over Gujranwala and a few villages. Sada Kaur on the other hand led the Kanheya misl after her husband died, it was one of the biggest and strongest misls. She saw potential in the 14 year old Ranjit Singh and took him under her wing and helped him conquer important cities including Lahore. She was the mastermind behind it all, a true visionary, and she was damn right about it too. But unfortunately got on his wrong side later on lol!   

How? 

I don't know too much about Sada Kaur, but did they somehow go against each other?

• Like 1

Impressive that he managed to memorize it in between stumbling around his palace drunk and fornicating with random concubines

When will people stop worshiping a manmukh who, in the final analysis, probably did more to harm sikhi than to help it?

• Downvote 2

3 hours ago, Kaurr said:

How? 

I don't know too much about Sada Kaur, but did they somehow go against each other?

Puzzled wrote the truth which sadly hidden from our history. Sada Kaur was the reason why Sikh rule was strong like iron back in days.. Sada Kaur was the reason why all misls/jathay gathered under one person Ranjit Singh.  Ranjit Singh married her daughter Maharani Mehtab Kaur and their only child was Mahraja Sher Singh. Ranjit Singh did not treat her good when they had a fallout and i believe it was when credit was not given and he got married to rani jind kaur.

Sada kaur's end was not good as she was basically home arrested and her property was given to Ranjit Singh. 

Despite that and many of his weakness and if compared with all other rulers of this world, Ranjit singh will always stay at the top. 

Do the Italians go on about Julius Caesar, the French about William The Conqueror, the Muslims about Aurangzeb anywhere near the amount as we do about Maharaja Ranjit Singh?

6 hours ago, ChardikalaUK said:

Do the Italians go on about Julius Caesar, the French about William The Conqueror, the Muslims about Aurangzeb anywhere near the amount as we do about Maharaja Ranjit Singh?

Why isn't he in history books? We learn about say Christopher Columbus. A mass murdering, thieving, disease ridden, <banned word filter activated>, who had no idea where he was sailing and "discovered" a land that had not only been inhabited for countless tens of thousands of years, but also had been visited by the chinese, vikings and others who could actually sail a ship properly. And yet we have to learn about and celebrate this dirty animal every year and if you protest his holiday as an indigenous person chances are you get murdered. 

Then we have what by way of comparison is a luminary...a giant among worldy rulers by and large, and also not in any way the best Sikh. And yet he isn't even found in western history. I think as Sikhs we should continually reference Maharaja Ranjit Singh Ji truthfully. That by the world standards he was beyond any of these clowns and by Sikh standards he was just beginning. 

Look what kind of men are immortalized by western "history" and on our currency? 

George Washington's teeth he had ripped out of someone else's mouth look great. 

On 12/8/2020 at 1:48 AM, Kaurr said:

How? 

She was a extraordinary woman, the mastermind behind Ranjit Singh's rise and the unification of Punjab, very unlikely he would have achieved that without her guidance. 

Well it was like an agreement, Sada Kaur helped Ranjit Singh conquer Lahore and become Maharaja and in return he had to marry her daughter Mehtab Kaur. Problem was Ranjit Singh never liked Mehtab Kaur lol, they just didn't get on. It was quite a rocky marriage and she soon left him and started living with her mother. One of the reasons was because Ranjit Singhs father, Maha Singh, had killed Sada Kaurs husband (Mehtab Kaurs father) during a clash between the two Misls. Sada Kaur on the other hand saw the potential in Ranjit Singh and took him under her wing even though his father had killed her husband. Many say that Sada Kaurs real motive behind helping Ranjit Singh become Maharaja was that one day her Grandson would become Maharaja.

The relationship got worse when Ranjit Singh married Rani Datar Kaur from the Nakai misl, Ranjit Singh really liked her, she was his favourite wife. Sada Kaur was furious that Ranjit Singh married a 2nd wife, and it got even worse when Rani Datar kaur gave birth to a son Kharak Singh, Sada Kaurs daughter Mehtab Kaur was still childless as her relationship with Ranjit Singh was really bad.

Eventually years later her daughter Mehtab Kaur did have a child, Sher Singh, but Ranjit decided that Kharak Singh (Datar Kaurs son)  would be the next in line to become Maharaja. Things didn't turn out how she had expected they would and Sada Kaur soon became a distant memory.

Out of vengeance she along with her daughter started communicating with Ranjit Singhs enemies but Ranjit Singh found out and arrested her and forced her to give up her property and wealth! 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, puzzled said:

She was a extraordinary woman, the mastermind behind Ranjit Singh's rise and the unification of Punjab, very unlikely he would of achieved that without her guidance.

Punjab was never unified.

Most of what is now the current state of Punjab in India was not part of Ranjit Singh's empire.

Probably half of the Sikh population of the time lived outside of the borders of Ranjit Singh's empire.