India has finally discovered the Nihung Singhs

Guest jigsaw-puzzled-singh

Guest jigsaw-puzzled-singh

This farmers protest has thrown up some curious developments. The most obvious is the way in which different regions and peoples have put aside past animosities and embraced each other. For example I never thought I'd see the day in which Haryanvis describe Punjab as their big brother but I've lost count how many times I have heard them say that over the course of the last few days. And.....then there is the curious case of the Nihangs. After they showed up at the Singhu border a few days ago Indian channels, especially South Indian channels who had never seen or heard  of a nihang before, have been doing newscast after newscast about what they describe as fascinating people. The whole of India has become fascinated by nihangs. It's all really quite amazing but really the unity among different people that this thing has brought about is truly a wonderful thing to see. Long may it continue.

also, sikh usually described as lawless, violent savage people...sikhs showing the world how peaceful protest is done, just like they did under british rule, way before Gandhi got involved.

Gandhi had to write to the gorah Tolstoy to get encouragement for non-violent protest, even though his parents were Jains.

Sikhs didn't need advise or encouragement from a gorah.

Guest jigsaw_puzzled-singh
On 12/9/2020 at 10:24 PM, Guest guest said:

also, sikh usually described as lawless, violent savage people...sikhs showing the world how peaceful protest is done, just like they did under british rule, way before Gandhi got involved.

That's very true.  We have inspired a whole nation of a billion people. A couple of my wife's nephews who went down to Delhi late last week video called my wife during the journey and showed how, throughout the long journey, Hindus all over Haryana were clapping their tractor convoy and offering milk and food - in every single village they passed through.  Sikhs have shown all of India how to love one another, take care of one another and fight for each other's rights. This unity on show is really something truly special. I was reading the other day about a group of poor farmers in far away Madhaya Pradesh. They say they saw the news footage a week ago of soldiers hitting elderly sikh farmers and something inside them stirred. Right there and then they decided to get in the tractors and drive to Delhi and stand alongside the Sikhs. 

Carrying on with this theme of unity - I remember I got a lot of stick here on this forum last year when I said how important it was that Sikhs stand by and help the muslim protestors in Delhi's Shaheen Bagh. I said if we don't - and let the fascists win - they will come after us next. I got a lot of abuse here for saying that. I hope today people are seeing how right I was. Unity is strength.