Farmers Protests - What should be the next step?

Guest jigsaw_puzzled-singh

OK....let's take a look at where we actually are now, where we need to get to and how we're gonna get there. First things first, I think we've all been caught up in a huge wave of emotion and been overwhelmed by the huge level of grassroot support among ordinary Indians. So much support in fact that we have not properly comprehended that we are not even in Delhi. Never mind not in the centre of Delhi but not even it's outer-outer suburbs. We are camped 50 km from Delhi. 

Now, I wrote a thread a couple of days ago explaining how modern politics work. Strange, but not unusual that one of the Mods here has discarded it and not posted it, but a shame because it gave a bit of an insight into how this battle with Modi can be won. First things first, a march on Washington can not end with a rally in Pleasantville, North Carolina and a sit-in protest in London can not take place in Hitchin, Hertfordshire. You see where I'm getting at here?  The enthusiasm and zeal of the above protestors is as real as ever but you begin to understand that the point of these types of demonstrations is to break the will of the powers that be and to do that you absolutely, positively, must strike at the heart of power. This is a must. This is why such action is called 'taking to the streets' because you 'take to the streets' of where power resides. Modi understands this. He understands that if this mass movement is allowed in Delhi itself it will not only topple the Farm Bills but will topple him also. 

Delhi signifies something, especially to we Sikhs. For farmers now encamped at Singhu, it may feel like being in Delhi given that they'd been on a 14 hour trek to get there but they must understand that Singhu is not physically, politically and psychologically Delhi. It is not the 'streets'. The farmers have not 'taken to the streets' but have instead taken to the muddy dirt tracks of a nothing town in the middle of nowhere far away from anywhere. We all have to understand how psychologically that is so important to Modi. Right now in Delhi, the young - the artists and the academics have come out in support of the farmers. But for the ordinary Delhi citizens, the priority is that the roads are not disrupted, the buses and trains run on time and there is no disruption to their daily routine. Right now, while we're all caught up in the emotion but we have to understand that Modi isn't even slightly startled let alone shaken. To shake someone one must first at least get within touching distance. The farmers MUST, at all costs, change tactics and get inside Delhi - the heart of Delhi.

12 hours ago, Guest jigsaw_puzzled-singh said:

OK....let's take a look at where we actually are now, where we need to get to and how we're gonna get there. First things first, I think we've all been caught up in a huge wave of emotion and been overwhelmed by the huge level of grassroot support among ordinary Indians. So much support in fact that we have not properly comprehended that we are not even in Delhi. Never mind not in the centre of Delhi but not even it's outer-outer suburbs. We are camped 50 km from Delhi. 

Now, I wrote a thread a couple of days ago explaining how modern politics work. Strange, but not unusual that one of the Mods here has discarded it and not posted it, but a shame because it gave a bit of an insight into how this battle with Modi can be won. First things first, a march on Washington can not end with a rally in Pleasantville, North Carolina and a sit-in protest in London can not take place in Hitchin, Hertfordshire. You see where I'm getting at here?  The enthusiasm and zeal of the above protestors is as real as ever but you begin to understand that the point of these types of demonstrations is to break the will of the powers that be and to do that you absolutely, positively, must strike at the heart of power. This is a must. This is why such action is called 'taking to the streets' because you 'take to the streets' of where power resides. Modi understands this. He understands that if this mass movement is allowed in Delhi itself it will not only topple the Farm Bills but will topple him also. 

Delhi signifies something, especially to we Sikhs. For farmers now encamped at Singhu, it may feel like being in Delhi given that they'd been on a 14 hour trek to get there but they must understand that Singhu is not physically, politically and psychologically Delhi. It is not the 'streets'. The farmers have not 'taken to the streets' but have instead taken to the muddy dirt tracks of a nothing town in the middle of nowhere far away from anywhere. We all have to understand how psychologically that is so important to Modi. Right now in Delhi, the young - the artists and the academics have come out in support of the farmers. But for the ordinary Delhi citizens, the priority is that the roads are not disrupted, the buses and trains run on time and there is no disruption to their daily routine. Right now, while we're all caught up in the emotion but we have to understand that Modi isn't even slightly startled let alone shaken. To shake someone one must first at least get within touching distance. The farmers MUST, at all costs, change tactics and get inside Delhi - the heart of Delhi.

so what do you propose that they allow themselves to be kettled into the prepared killing parade grounds  in Delhi city?  I think they are wise to NOT comply with the GOIs wishes ,  They know that turning public opinion takes time and there is no rush , waiting has allowed the other farmers to join them from other quarters. blocking the arteries to and from Delhi will unnerve the GOI much more . This is a psychological war

3 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

so what do you propose that they allow themselves to be kettled into the prepared killing parade grounds  in Delhi city?  

Why on earth would anyone be proposing his own people go into killing zones to be killed ?  I'm a Jatt, jkvlondon. My farming family have spent the last 50 years accumulating land in Doaba - this fight is everything to me. I have family on the ground there and this is my fight - read what I had said about the truth about farming in this thread:

Farmers in india - GUPT | ANONYMOUS - SIKH SANGAT

I think they are wise to NOT comply with the GOIs wishes

That is a totally ludicrous thing to say when I just took the time and effort to succintly explain to you how it not only suits the government of india to have the farmers where they now area but is actually absolutely vital for the govt to survive. 

They know that turning public opinion takes time and there is no rush ,

I don't think you have a proper grasp of anything that is happening on the ground in  India jkvlondon. In fact, you seem to have no clue at all. Right now - at this present moment in time - the farmers enjoy the support of the mass public in India. Support like this for a single cause has never been seen before in a nation of a billion people so I don't know which world you're living in where you waiting for something that will happen 'over a long period of time'.  The time is now - support is at record high - the longer it goes on the support will naturally decline. The farmers will slip from the national attention - The TV news will move on to the next story and the public will forget about the farmers. The farmers will be easily forgotten because they're sitting in a muddy field 50km from any big city.

They already have mass public opinion on their side now. One must strike while the kettle is hot.

waiting has allowed the other farmers to join them from other quarters. blocking the arteries to and from Delhi will unnerve the GOI much more

You see this is why I wrote what I wrote in my opening thread but you don't seem to pay attention at all. You don't seem to have even a slight understanding of how politics are played in the modern age - how protests are won and lost - where government does and does not want protestors to be. Modi knows though. He knows that once the protest is inside Delhi itself it will mean the toppling of not only the Farm Bills but also of him.

There is a reason the govt has set up vast barricades to prevent them getting in. Right now, we're exactly where the govt want us to be. How do we get in ? I don't know - but where there is a will there is a way and where this is support there is a way. Take 2 weeks ago when they beat the barricades all through Haryana. We've all seen alot of footage of barricades being broken on the highway but my own relatives on the ground tell me that there were hundreds of such barricades and most of them were breached with the help of local Hindus who opened up their own land as a way of avoiding public roads and finding a back way in. There is always a way.

On 12/15/2020 at 2:11 AM, Guest jigsaw_puzzled-singh said:

Why on earth would anyone be proposing his own people go into killing zones to be killed ?  I'm a Jatt, jkvlondon. My farming family have spent the last 50 years accumulating land in Doaba - this fight is everything to me. I have family on the ground there and this is my fight - read what I had said about the truth about farming in this thread:

Farmers in india - GUPT | ANONYMOUS - SIKH SANGAT

That is a totally ludicrous thing to say when I just took the time and effort to succintly explain to you how it not only suits the government of india to have the farmers where they now area but is actually absolutely vital for the govt to survive. 

I don't think you have a proper grasp of anything that is happening on the ground in  India jkvlondon. In fact, you seem to have no clue at all. Right now - at this present moment in time - the farmers enjoy the support of the mass public in India. Support like this for a single cause has never been seen before in a nation of a billion people so I don't know which world you're living in where you waiting for something that will happen 'over a long period of time'.  The time is now - support is at record high - the longer it goes on the support will naturally decline. The farmers will slip from the national attention - The TV news will move on to the next story and the public will forget about the farmers. The farmers will be easily forgotten because they're sitting in a muddy field 50km from any big city.

They already have mass public opinion on their side now. One must strike while the kettle is hot.

You see this is why I wrote what I wrote in my opening thread but you don't seem to pay attention at all. You don't seem to have even a slight understanding of how politics are played in the modern age - how protests are won and lost - where government does and does not want protestors to be. Modi knows though. He knows that once the protest is inside Delhi itself it will mean the toppling of not only the Farm Bills but also of him.

There is a reason the govt has set up vast barricades to prevent them getting in. Right now, we're exactly where the govt want us to be. How do we get in ? I don't know - but where there is a will there is a way and where this is support there is a way. Take 2 weeks ago when they beat the barricades all through Haryana. We've all seen alot of footage of barricades being broken on the highway but my own relatives on the ground tell me that there were hundreds of such barricades and most of them were breached with the help of local Hindus who opened up their own land as a way of avoiding public roads and finding a back way in. There is always a way.

the farmer sangarush has been going since last year , remember the footmarch of farmers from the south supported by gursikhs of Delhi gurdwarey providing langar these laws were being opposed for such a long time prior , it's just the flames have been turned up by BJP by forcing them onto statute books WITHOUT VOTING OR ACKNOWLEDGING OPPOSITION WITHIN LOK SABHA . You are not the only Sikh here affected by this dictatorship  my family is still doing khetibardi themselves , my cousins and their children are on the land doing the backbreaking work to feed this aghiratghan lok .

I know that there have been attempts to bring the morcha into disrepute by sending in women and girls at night to entice the farmers, attempts at sabotage and I believe that Baba Ram Singh was offed because this would break sikh honsla on the ground.

I do not believe hunger strikes are the right move as these folks want us dead, we need to mobilise the people through media bombing on SM .Langars should have armed guards to prevent tampering .

8 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

the farmer sangarush has been going since last year , remember the footmarch of farmers from the south supported by gursikhs of Delhi gurdwarey providing langar these laws were being opposed for such a long time prior , it's just the flames have been turned up by BJP by forcing them onto statute books WITHOUT VOTING OR ACKNOWLEDGING OPPOSITION WITHIN LOK SABHA . You are not the only Sikh here affected by this dictatorship  my family is still doing khetibardi themselves , my cousins and their children are on the land doing the backbreaking work to feed this aghiratghan lok .

I know that there have been attempts to bring the morcha into disrepute by sending in women and girls at night to entice the farmers, attempts at sabotage and I believe that Baba Ram Singh was offed because this would break sikh honsla on the ground.

I do not believe hunger strikes are the right move as these folks want us dead, we need to mobilise the people through media bombing on SM .Langars should have armed guards to prevent tampering .

See this is the thing. This protest has been continous for over a couple a months. I know my own relatives have been on the road continously since the summer.  It didn't get any attention because they were doing their protest in Jalandhar and Patiala etc and not in Delhi. So they decided to take it to Delhi. The same thing is gonna happen with this leg of the protest unless they actually get inside Delhi. We (the farmers) need to stop thinking what might be good tactics from our point of view and start getting inside the Modi. We are exactly where Modi wants us to be and Modi knows all too well that public opinion will turn against the farmers once it goes from the national attention and they start seeing it disrupting their daily lives.

Secondly, when you look at the various threads on this forum you realise that people here are generally clueless about reality on the ground.

For example, a favourite of posters here is to blame the 'liberal elite' and 'academics' for all ills. But now those posters here are lost and confused. They don't know what to say because it is India's 'liberal elite' and 'academics' who have voiced the strongest support or the farmers. And then you have so many posters here saying things about Hindus when, if you talk to any farmer on the ground t both Singhu and Tikri border they will tell you that, so far, although the Sikhs and the local Gurdwaras have been grabing the attention regarding the langars, every single sabji, dudh, daal, atta etc that has gone into those langars has been delivered daily for free by local Hindu Haryana Jat farmer familes. Every single thing. And then you have those posters continously going on about the anti-Sikh sentiments of a section of the media when they have absolutely no idea about how facist politics work....i..e a strong man leader and a dedicated media channel that peddles the lies for the strong leader. Zee news is the Fox News of India. 

I've lost track of how many times I've tried over the years to explain politics to people here but each time it's been lost in translation. I'll try again:  Modi is a facist. The facist leader has his support in the base that appreciates a strong leader that doesn't bend. A facist leader never bends. Once he bends he will no longer be seen as 'strong' and so will lose the support o his base. Therefore, we should all forget this idea of Modi having a heart and backing away from the Bills after saying sorry. As demonstrated by the facist politics of Trump, the whole point of being a facist leader is the illusion that you are super-powerfull, super-correct, and never display feminine weaknesses such a saying sorry.  Modi is not an ordinary, decent human being. He is a facist. He will not remove these bills when he doesn't have to. And when a group of farmers are sitting 50km from the city and the cameras and news crews have gone away because they've lost interest he would have proved why he doesn't have to. The only time he will 'have to' is when the farmers enter Delhi itself.

Now, you know me jkvlondon, you know with my poetry that I'm actually quite a romantic as well as an historian. Knowing that Ambani also runssome petrol stations and that another facist leader, Mussolini, also met his fate when the masses entered Rome and strung him up on the petrol station forecourt - I'd like to picture in my head Modi being hung from one of Amabani's petrol station by 2 people: a Punjabi Jatt and a Haryana Jat.

On 12/16/2020 at 2:17 PM, jkvlondon said:

and I believe that Baba Ram Singh was offed because this would break sikh honsla on the ground.

You talk to anybody at the protests and you'll find that less than 0.01% had even heard of him, let alone that he was there in Delhi. And yet here on this forum you'll find people thinking he was a major part of it and so the government of India assassinated him.

On 12/17/2020 at 6:29 PM, Guest jigsaw_puzzled-singh said:

You talk to anybody at the protests and you'll find that less than 0.01% had even heard of him, let alone that he was there in Delhi. And yet here on this forum you'll find people thinking he was a major part of it and so the government of India assassinated him.

One last thing before I go: I think it's very important that you all take on board things I said here on this thread and that other farmers thread: Farmers in india - GUPT | ANONYMOUS - SIKH SANGAT

This protest has taught alot of things to us about ourselves and has taught India even more about how to run a country.  You all know how I am a true 100% believer in an independent Punjab and Punjabyat in general. But I never let that desire manifest itself in hate. But hate has been all too evident on this forum with regards to the protests. Blind hatred. Towards Hindus.      Let me tell you a story:  A couple of days ago some of my relatives who have been at the protest for weeks now sent us a live video of when they woke up. They said it's happened loadsa times before but the first time for them and their jatha from the pend so they made the live video of it. They woke up to find crate after crate of vegetables and milk left by their trolleys. While they were sleeping, during the night, local villages in Haryana had done the donation collections they do every day and left supplies for the protesting farmers. 

This is not an isolated case. I've now got scores of family down there at the sites and they all say that the love and affection they receive from Hindus deserves recognition and respect. What is does not deserve is the kind of ignorant comments made by posters of this forum who have absolutely no idea of the reality on the ground. But I can see how many of you are lashing out at Hindus in general without understanding that it is a facist regime that operates in the name of Hindus that the farmers are fighting.  I can see how hard it must be for some of you to form an opinion and be able to articulate your views when you have spent so long criticising artists, poets, intellectuals, academics and 'liberal elites' only to find that it is the artists, poets, intellectuals, academics and 'liberal elites, who have been the most vocal and powerful supporters of the farmers. I can see how that confuses you and makes you lash out. But you must desist. You must cease all of your previous thoughts. People like dallysing101 must now open his eyes and see how those "unpadh backward pendus" he likes to talk about are not only able to bring facist regimes to their knees but also able to show a billion people how to run a caring sharing country properly. People like jkvlondon need to realise that the govt of India is not sending in elite assassination squads to kill obscure sikh bhais that nobody has ever heard of. 

We get facetime live video calls everyday from the protest. There is love. You wouldn't believe the number of times we've been introduced on the calls to some random Kapoor, Bedi or Sethi Hindu family from Delhi who, as a whole family unit, had given up their day to bring their kids and grandchildren to the protest sites to both lend support and witness a revolution in the making. 

What I'm saying is this: Enough of all the hate. We're fighting a facist regime that gets it power in the name of Hinduvta but we are not fighting Hindus. Understand that there are thousands of Hindu bajoorgs there from Haryana and beyond that have been sleeping on the freezing concrete slabs at the protests for over 2 weeks while you have been sleeping in the comfort of your centrally heated bedrooms in the UK. They deserve far more respect than you've been giving them.

• 1 month later...
Guest Singhu Border

https://www.cadtm.org/How-Britain-stole-45-trillion-from-India

How Britain stole $45 trillion from India

And lied about it.

31 December 2018 by Jason Hickel

How Britain stole $45 trillion from India

And lied about it.

31 December 2018 by Jason Hickel

arton16972-93db5.jpg?1593779826

(Photo credit: https://theconversation.com)

There is a story that is commonly told in Britain that the colonisation of India - as horrible as it may have been - was not of any major economic benefit to Britain itself. If anything, the administration of India was a cost to Britain. So the fact that the empire was sustained for so long - the story goes - was a gesture of Britain’s benevolence.

New research by the renowned economist Utsa Patnaik -just published by Columbia University Press - deals a crushing blow to this narrative. Drawing on nearly two centuries of detailed data on tax and trade, Patnaik calculated that Britain drained a total of nearly $45 trillion from India during the period 1765 to 1938.

It’s a staggering sum. For perspective, $45 trillionis 17 times more than the total annual gross domestic product of the United Kingdom today.

How did this come about?

It happened through the trade system. Prior to the colonial period, Britain bought goods like textiles and rice from Indian producers and paid for them in the normal way - mostly with silver - as they did with any other country. But something changed in 1765, shortly after the East India Company took control of the subcontinent and established a monopoly over Indian trade.

Here’s how it worked. The East India Company began collecting taxes in India, and then cleverly used a portion of those revenues (about a third)to fund the purchase of Indian goods for British use. In other words, instead of paying for Indian goods out of their own pocket, British traders acquired them for free, “buying” from peasants and weavers using money that had just been taken from them.

It was a scam - theft on a grand scale. Yet most Indians were unaware of what was going on because the agent who collected the taxes was not the same as the one who showed up to buy their goods. Had it been the same person, they surely would have smelled a rat.

Some of the stolen goods were consumed in Britain, and the rest were re-exported elsewhere. The re-export system allowed Britain to finance a flow of imports from Europe, including strategic materials like iron, tar and timber, which were essential to Britain’s industrialisation. Indeed, the Industrial Revolution depended in large part on this systematic theft from India.

On top of this, the British were able to sell the stolen goods to other countries for much more than they “bought” them for in the first place, pocketing not only 100 percent of the original value of the goods but also the markup.

After the British Raj took over in 1847, colonisers added a special new twist to the tax-and-buy system. As the East India Company’s monopoly broke down, Indian producers were allowed to export their goods directly to other countries. But Britain made sure that the payments for those goods nonetheless ended up in London.

How did this work? Basically, anyone who wanted to buy goods from India would do so using special Council Bills - a unique paper currency issued only by the British Crown. And the only way to get those bills was to buy them from London with gold or silver. So traders would pay London in gold to get the bills, and then use the bills to pay Indian producers. When Indians cashed the bills in at the local colonial office, they were “paid” in rupees out of tax revenues - money that had just been collected from them. So, once again, they were not in fact paid at all; they were defrauded.

Meanwhile, London ended up with all of the gold and silver that should have gone directly to the Indians in exchange for their exports.

This corrupt system meant that even while India was running an impressive trade surplus with the rest of the world - a surplus that lasted for three decades in the early 20th century - it showed up as a deficit in the national accounts because the real income from India’s exports wasappropriatedin its entirety by Britain.

Some point to this fictional “deficit” as evidence that India was a liability to Britain. But exactly the opposite is true. Britain intercepted enormous quantities of income that rightly belonged to Indian producers. India was the goose that laid the golden egg. Meanwhile, the “deficit” meant that India had no option but to borrow from Britain to finance its imports. So the entire Indian population was forced into completely unnecessary debt to their colonial overlords, further cementing British control.

Britain used the windfall from this fraudulent system to fuel the engines of imperial violence - funding the invasion of China in the 1840s and the suppression of the Indian Rebellion in 1857. And this was on top of what the Crown took directly from Indian taxpayers to pay for its wars. As Patnaik points out, “the cost of all Britain’s wars of conquest outside Indian borders were charged always wholly or mainly to Indian revenues.”

And that’s not all. Britain used this flow of tribute from India to finance the expansion of capitalism in Europe and regions of European settlement, like Canada and Australia. So not only the industrialisation of Britain but also the industrialisation of much of the Western world was facilitated by extraction from the colonies.

Patnaik identifies four distinct economic periods in colonial India from 1765 to 1938, calculates the extraction for each, and then compounds at a modest rate of interest (about 5 percent, which is lower than the market rate) from the middle of each period to the present. Adding it all up, she finds that the total drain amounts to $44.6 trillion. This figure is conservative, she says, and does not include the debts that Britain imposed on India during the Raj.

These are eye-watering sums. But the true costs of this drain cannot be calculated. If India had been able to invest its own tax revenues and foreign exchange earnings in development - as Japan did - there’s no telling how history might have turned out differently. India could very well have become an economic powerhouse. Centuries of poverty and suffering could have been prevented.

All of this is a sobering antidote to the rosy narrative promoted by certain powerful voices in Britain. The conservative historian Niall Ferguson has claimed that British rule helped “develop” India. While he was prime minister, David Cameron asserted that British rule was a net help to India.

This narrative has found considerable traction in the popular imagination: according to a 2014 YouGov poll, 50 percent of people in Britain believe that colonialism was beneficial to the colonies.

Yet during the entire 200-year history of British rule in India, there was almost no increase in per capita income. In fact, during the last half of the 19th century - the heyday of British intervention - income in India collapsed by half. The average life expectancy of Indians dropped by a fifth from 1870 to 1920. Tens of millions died needlessly of policy-induced famine.

Britain didn’t develop India. Quite the contrary - as Patnaik’s work makes clear - India developed Britain.

What does this require of Britain today? An apology? Absolutely. Reparations? Perhaps - although there is not enough money in all of Britain to cover the sums that Patnaik identifies. In the meantime, we can start by setting the story straight. We need to recognise that Britain retained control of India not out of benevolence but for the sake of plunder and that Britain’s industrial rise didn’t emerge sui generis from the steam engine and strong institutions, as our schoolbooks would have it, but depended on violent theft from other lands and other peoples.

Source: Al Jazeera

Jason Hickel 

Dr Jason Hickel is an academic at the University of London and a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts.

Indian farmers should force britain to pay what they stole to IMF, WT and whosoever India owes money to.