Sahejdhari

Guest guest

Hi

there seems to be this idea that sikhi is for only for keshdaris or amritdharis.  that if you are a sahejdhari you have at somepoint become amritdhari in order to be religous.  keshdharies /amritdharis promote this idea heavily and when i was younger i thought it was true.  but now, after years of study of SGGS, I don't think this is true.

alot of sahejidharis don't want to keep kesh and still maintain complete faith in SGGS.  

don't think you have to keep  kesh if you don't want to.  don't do those things if they are not in your heart.  

just wanted to give this message to those who may be making the same mistake in thinking.

Dear Guest guest, 

You got the definition of Sehajdhari wrong. From various sources: 

Sehajdhari Sikhs (literally "slow adopter") is a person who has chosen the path of Sikhism, but has not yet become an Amritdhari. A sehajdhari believes in all the tenets of Sikhism and the teachings of the Sikh Gurus but may or may not adorn the five symbols of the Sikh faith.This is not to be confused with the term Mona Sikhs. “A person cannot claim to be a Sehajdhari Sikh by trimming/cutting his/her hair, beard or eyebrows in any manner.” – SGPC Expert Panel Report 

‘SIRGUMM’ – If a keshadhari whose birth and naming ceremony has been solemnized in accordance with gurmat, and under the influence of debauched company,  discards the holy kesh he is,  a ‘sirgumm’ (patit)

Sikh Rahit Maryada makes no mention of the term Sehajdhari Sikh.   Section 4. (Chapter X). (Article XVI)(i) of the Sikh Rahit Maryada, which is applicable to all Sikhs (including Sahajdharis) makes  it mandatory to keep the Kesh of his children intact. 

Living in consonance with Guru’s Tenets……..A Sikh should, in no way, harbour any antipathy to the hair of the head with which his child is born. He should add the suffix “Singh” to the name of his son. A Sikh should keep the hair of his sons and daughters intact.(p.24)

For More detailed answer: Read here.

Note: Due to sensitivity nature of this topic, we will not open this thread for public discussion. 

• The topic was locked