Career advice

Guest Guest

Wjkk Wjkf,

Sangat ji I would be very glad if someone could advice on the way of leading professional life according to Gurbani. Is it wrong to aim big? If not, then how can we ask for Gurusahib to help us achieve our aim?

1. Honour God in your heart before starting any new work or venture

2. pray to Guruji to assist you and give you wisdom

3. keep moral (dharmic) behaviour- don't involve in corruption, cheating, exploitation of people, animals, plants or the environment

4. share some of your wealth with the poor (dasvandh)

5. start each day with Gurbani to put you in the write state of mind.

aim big, however don't let career take over your life as it did for previous generations who migrated to the uk. They let career take over and didn't teach gurmukhi or sikhi to their children, or presevre kesh, they were too busy making money.

We need to change and preserve sikhi instead of concentrating on money all the time.

I want to change career as well so that I can spend more time on sikhi....

3 hours ago, ipledgeblue said:

aim big, however don't let career take over your life as it did for previous generations who migrated to the uk. They let career take over and didn't teach gurmukhi or sikhi to their children, or presevre kesh, they were too busy making money.

We need to change and preserve sikhi instead of concentrating on money all the time.

I want to change career as well so that I can spend more time on sikhi....

We need to get back to one or less person working full time per family. It's the only way to properly educate children and have time for Gursikhi practice and application. 

We need family groups like kibutz. 

We need every Gurudwara to have a rural plot with wells and farming for Sangat to fall back to or meet at for training. 

On 1/9/2021 at 5:16 AM, Guest Guest said:

Wjkk Wjkf,

Sangat ji I would be very glad if someone could advice on the way of leading professional life according to Gurbani. Is it wrong to aim big? If not, then how can we ask for Gurusahib to help us achieve our aim?

I think I am qualified to answer this question. If you want a short answer, then according to Gurmat - the answer is “Yes, it is wrong to aim big in life, except aimimg for God.”

Why? Keep reading below.

More than 20 years ago. I started in Sikhi school and after 20 years. I am still at Level Zero. Do you know why?

Because, it took me 20 years of my life to understand what you just asked. Im going to explain this to you in 3 minutes, what took me 20 years to learn. 

Whatever you ask from the Guru, the Guru will give it to you. 

“Jo Maageh Thakur apney thae, soe soe dehvai” 

“Whatever I ask from my Lord, so I receive.

For me whatever material success, I asked I got. I wanted a good job, wanted to be in a good country, wanted money and beautiful wife and I got all these things in the 20 years. Just like I asked God.

Then Guru Ji also says 

“Vin tudh hor je mangna sir dukha kay dukh”

20 years ago. I was a gursikh. I got everything I wanted. After 20 years whatever I got, those thing separated me from my Guru. My rehat, kakkars all came off. From a Gursikh...I became a Patit. The want to be “big” kept getting more intense. 

Therefore, I have come to the conclusion that all this “big career, success, money, properties, big houses, good jobs” .... are all anti-Gurmat.

Do you know what I ask Guru ji now?

”Please take everything back and give me your Naam. Bcoz I have seen how fake this world is.”

I have seen this not only with myself, but with those ppl toooo, who did seva at Golden Temple for decades to get big in life. They got big and now they drink, dont follow Gurmat and are suffering in life.

This means all things are worthless, except Naam.

However, I know that my post will sound bitter to you. You will read posts of other ppl and try to justify that what I said is not right and you will follow your own mind. 

Ultimately, the desire to get big in life is sooooo intense for you, that u will justify to yourself that you can balance Gursikhi with desiring maya at the same time. BUT Sorry to shatter your belief—- in reality it is exactly the opposite.

All AIMS IN LIFE ARE A PIECE OF S*H*I*T and if you Aim S*H*I*T ... you become like one. 

The only and only Aim should be Naam.