Discussion on Shaster Vidya

9 hours ago, GurjantGnostic said:

There's a catch 22 in martial arts. 

If you have the real thing. You can't just go show anyone and everyone...because it's lethal and sacred or special. So you stay gupt and your art dies. And many schools didn't want to tip their hand by showing anybody how they move. 

If you do demonstrations you have to...sterilize your demo to only show so much.  If you try and attract followers with showmanship it becomes more about that and maybe you keep practitioners but then they're not doing the art exactly and your art dies. 

There's a balance that's hard to keep. 

I'm still open to the idea of Ghatka practitioners having something profound to offer but yes it's showy. But we might not be seeing the whole thing or talking to the right people about it. 

Gatka really doesn't. Honestly, there is no depth to it. To even call it a "martial art" is innacurate.

22 hours ago, ipledgeblue said:

well not really. Even Guru Hargobind ji and Guru Gobind Singh had guns. so why did they still use swords and have Singhs wear kirpaana?

Guns run out of bullets too!

Do you know how guns used to operate in those days? They were extremely slow, often you'd have to reload after every single shot. 

Today you have high power hand guns and machine guns with large cartridges and high rates of fire. Welcome to the 21st century.

4 hours ago, Koi said:

One thing that was really awesome about him is that you could literally ask him any question regarding ideology, and he'd answer it fully. Now, you may not necessarily agree with it, but he clearly laid out his reasoning, evidence and logic, which I greatly respected ??

The thing with rumors and keyboard warriors is that, they are exactly that, and nothing more. I've always encouraged all the naysayers that, if you have an issue, go up to him and ask. It really is that simple. That's what I always did.

I agree, just a PSA to be careful for those wanting to learn from him. Pre-Covid, I learned Shastar Vidya from one of his students who warned me as well.

I still have a lot to learn though as I was only on the first Panthira ?.

4 hours ago, Koi said:

The akhara does not "follow" anyone. It teaches anyone who respects the vidiya and will not misuse it. It is completely free from politics. Again, this is something which Gurdev Nidar Singh Ji has cleared up many times, but people still don't get it...

I disagree a little on this part as he calls himself the last master of Shastar Vidhya and has been excommunicated by the Nihangs and I think Damdami Taksal as well. So there are some politics...

4 hours ago, Koi said:

Finally, even if you disagree with the ideology, the vidiya is proper authentic. The irony is, when he taught our community, we did not appreciate it, we vilified him completely. And now, he teaches it all over the world to many martial artists who all attest to it's greatness and authenticity, and our people still have a problem ("you're teaching non-Sikgs" etc.). Lost opportunity...

Unfortunately this is true as well. We still have a problem with him even though it is proved that the Vidhya is authentic.

Fateh jio,

The gatka these days wouldn't help anybody in real life unless they got lucky..

After viewing the thread and this my question is...

If Niddar Singh has the real shaster vidiya... why do none of the nihang singhs in India have it? Many of them have asthaans, relics etc belonging to guru sahibaans e.g Baba Avtar Singh Bidhichandiye Sursinghwale have Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji's tegha and are Bidhi Chand's current blood lineage. Wouldn't these nihangs have the real vidiya and not someone born in the west? 

How could all the nihangs lose it expect him? Like someone mentioned harzoor sahib still carries on puratan maryada.

Plus why are the nihang singhs vs niddars singhs views on sikhi and history SO DIFFERENT? 
Like even the ardasa of nihang singhs is almost like the normal one and niddars one in the video is different with loads of gods?

12 minutes ago, Babbar_Singhsta said:

If Niddar Singh has the real shaster vidiya... why do none of the nihang singhs in India have it? Many of them have asthaans, relics etc belonging to guru sahibaans e.g Baba Avtar Singh Bidhichandiye Sursinghwale have Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji's tegha and are Bidhi Chand's current blood lineage. Wouldn't these nihangs have the real vidiya and not someone born in the west? 

Nihang Singhs know to keep it gupt. Nidar Singh is trying to monetize it by saying he is the last grandmaster and he is trying to sell it in the west. Nihangs have the real vidhya, he learned it from them and now is changing it.

14 minutes ago, Babbar_Singhsta said:

Plus why are the nihang singhs vs niddars singhs views on sikhi and history SO DIFFERENT? 
Like even the ardasa of nihang singhs is almost like the normal one and niddars one in the video is different with loads of gods?

I recommend looking at this site for anyone to know the full truth of the beadbi that he is doing - http://www.shastervidiya.org/

It shows how he began changing the narrative for more fame and money.

5 hours ago, ChardikalaUK said:

Do you know how guns used to operate in those days? They were extremely slow, often you'd have to reload after every single shot. 

Today you have high power hand guns and machine guns with large cartridges and high rates of fire. Welcome to the 21st century.

Yes. We all know the brits prefer a good ol stabbin. 

On 1/16/2021 at 12:41 PM, intrigued said:

I agree, just a PSA to be careful for those wanting to learn from him. Pre-Covid, I learned Shastar Vidya from one of his students who warned me as well.

I still have a lot to learn though as I was only on the first Panthira ?.

I disagree a little on this part as he calls himself the last master of Shastar Vidhya and has been excommunicated by the Nihangs and I think Damdami Taksal as well. So there are some politics...

Unfortunately this is true as well. We still have a problem with him even though it is proved that the Vidhya is authentic.

I never used to teach anyone because he used to tell us to keep it gupt.

but since he is teaching to public I may pass on some knowledge. 

I haven't been for years and and haven't been able to find the local akhara (West London) even before covid pandemic.

By first pentra do you mean mool pentra which is the way to walk, or actual varha pentra, wild boar style? mool pentra is something to implement into real life. I am still trying to become efficient in using mass to efficiently hit the opponent. for varha. The pentras higher than this, I am having difficulty in learning although I have picked up some kicks from grur (bird style), the cockerel kick is just nasty, oh and another kick which I am censoring lol!!!

He can't be excommunicated from DamDami/Bhindra Taksal since he is not part of it. Again there are branches of Damdami Taksals so again being excommunicated from one doesn't excommunicate you from the other, such as the parallel late Baba Mohan Singh Taksal.

4 hours ago, ipledgeblue said:

By first pentra do you mean mool pentra which is the way to walk, or actual varha pentra, wild boar style?

I was on the wild boar style ? 

4 hours ago, ipledgeblue said:

He can't be excommunicated from DamDami/Bhindra Taksal since he is not part of it. Again there are branches of Damdami Taksals so again being excommunicated from one doesn't excommunicate you from the other, such as the parallel late Baba Mohan Singh Taksal.

True but from what I understand the taksal rejected him - most probably for his ideology shift