Discussion on Shaster Vidya

2 hours ago, Koi said:

Without addressing attacks on his personal life, the main point still stands. Gatka is nothing more than an exhibitionist art, with no real practical application in a battle. Shastar Vidiya is the real deal. Even if you just look at it from a martial arts perspective. 

I tell you, if (hypothetically) he changed his ideology and started shouting Khalistan Zindabad slogans, you'd all be more accepting of the vidiya. The doubts people place on the Vidiya have got nothing to do with the Vidiya itself, but personal grievances against his ideology. And unless our community can be mature enough to separate the two, we're never going to grow as a martial kaum...

he is not the only teacher and his attitude of money money first is wrong attitude for an ustaad teaching such skills much like jujitsu/karate/escrima teachers the quality of the internal changes the whole transfer of knowledge and the final product. If the ustaad is full of ahankar he cannot show the student how to be a neutral minded warrior, which is vital for sikh warriors

1 hour ago, jkvlondon said:

he is not the only teacher and his attitude of money money first is wrong attitude for an ustaad teaching such skills much like jujitsu/karate/escrima teachers the quality of the internal changes the whole transfer of knowledge and the final product. If the ustaad is full of ahankar he cannot show the student how to be a neutral minded warrior, which is vital for sikh warriors

Do you know of any other teachers of Shastar Vidiya? If so, would you kindly share here ji?

And which "money first" attitude are you referring to? Since the Akhara has become more established, and the services provided by the Akhara (Gurdev ji travelling worldwide, publishing of books, interviews/seminars etc.), there will of course be a monetary element involved to sustain such ventures. And there is nothing wrong with this. Are you taking in to account the students he teaches for free because they can't afford lessons? Or more to the point, do you even know about this? I think not. I myself back in the day would train with students who trained for free.

On to your final point. Full of hankaar. Based on what? Every individual has their own temperament. And I for one do not have a "universal metre stick" which I use to measure everyone's avgun and judge whether or not they can teach the Vidiya. Have all your teachers been brahmgyanis? The mother is the first teacher of the children. You have children. Should one then assert that you are unworthy of teaching your children because you are "full of hankaar" (hypothetically speaking of course)?

Please, let us not split hairs with this. Time and time again over the years I hear the same thing with regards to Gurdev Nidar Singh Ji. Your grievances with him have nothing to do with the Vidiya, but with his ideology (which is not entirely different if you go through it properly). And again, it goes back to the same point. Gatka is an exhibitionist art, nothing more. Shastar Vidiya is the real deal.

1 hour ago, dharamyudh said:

Respectfully, I just wanted to ask who gave Nidar his vidya on the art. From what I heard, he back to Punjab and came across his ustaad randomly. Any idea who his master was? Was he a part of the Dals?

I heard he trained with all major Dals and that's how he recompiled it. Three or more different pieces. I'm no expert though.