Discussion on Shaster Vidya

On 1/23/2021 at 11:54 AM, ipledgeblue said:

This grandmaster fights similar to some of the sword fighting in shastar vidiya. what is this martial art? a gatkabaji wouldn't stand any chance against this kind of knife work!

Maybe we should compile some youtube videos to help with shastar vidiya?

looks like escrima philipino knife art which I mentioned before apparentely he has filmed tutorial style  available here:

https://www.aperture.university/store/FyXFXwWP

On 1/23/2021 at 5:37 AM, Koi said:

I did gatka for a year before I came to Shastar Vidiya. And the thing I loved and still admire about gatka akharas is the sangat. It's good if you have no other sangat. If it inspires you to be closer to your Sikhi, that is great. But understand it's not the real deal. Never has been, never will be. I know people who practice gatka, and never discourage them, because I do not want the paap of breaking their sangat on my head ??

Why is it not the real deal? Whats the difference between Gatka and Shastar Vidya?

2 hours ago, PuzzledToo said:

Why is it not the real deal? Whats the difference between Gatka and Shastar Vidya?

Modern day Gatka is more of an exhibitionist sport now, it is a lot more "showy". In the practical aspect, Shastar Vidya is used in hand to hand combat and incorporates a lot of ground fighting, which Gatka doesn't do as much.

6 hours ago, Arsh1469 said:

Just want to say I thought it was in the rules to not talk about Nidar.

Why? We should never be afraid to discuss different things. Just because a scared pigeon closes it's eyes, doesn’t mean the cat's disappeared...

10 hours ago, ipledgeblue said:

if sikhs continue talking about gatka, then he is going to be brought up as well.

if gatka teachers can fix up, then, only then, will we not need to mention the name!!

Problem isn't with gatka teachers, problem is with gatka itself.