Discussion on Shaster Vidya

1 hour ago, Koi said:

Fine tuning is one thing brother. But what you're talking about is reinventing the wheel. It's the equivalent of using a caravan to build a skyscraper. Other than twirling a stick around and cutting up sabji, what does gatka really have to offer? There is no battle strategy, no history, no depth, absolutely nothing.

I apologise if it seems like I'm berating gatka in a very cruel way, especially to those kids on this forum who are practising it. As I said before, if gatka is your only source of sangat, please continue going. But for those people on this forum who are a little older or have martial arts experience, let's stop kidding ourselves here...

I hear you bro. 

Martial arts in general suffer a lack of strategy and weapons. Really has my wheels turning. 

Would it be possible for Gatka and Shastar Vidhya to be combined together and to make it a unified Sikh martial art across the board? Gatka as stated before is more showy and can be used for conditioning. Shastar Vidhya can be used in hand to hand combat and ground fighting all the way up to confrontations involving Shastars.

4 minutes ago, intrigued said:

Would it be possible for Gatka and Shastar Vidhya to be combined together and to make it a unified Sikh martial art across the board? Gatka as stated before is more showy and can be used for conditioning. Shastar Vidhya can be used in hand to hand combat and ground fighting all the way up to confrontations involving Shastars.

This should be done. It requires fully versed practicioners of Shastar Vidya though. 

15 hours ago, intrigued said:

Not really. Firstly (again) one is exhibitionist, the other is a proper traditional lethal fighting art.

The other thing is that you'll pick up a lot of bad habits from gatka. You'll literally have to unlearn all those bad habits first.

• 5 months later...