Sanskar of Guru Photos

Guest Gupt

So I’ve been racking my brains over this for a while and wanted everyone’s opinions and if we have written evidence on this. 

I was clearing my house and found a load of old calendars and photos of Gurus which have been kept in the attic. I was going to put them in the recycling bin because it’s paper at the end of the day and recycling them is environmentally friendly but my sass stopped me and said that’s paap! As Sikhs we care about the environment, the Earth being our mother so we should do everything in our power to ensure we do our bit for the environment even if this means recycling.

My question is what is so punishable about recycling pictures of Gurus? There’s no Gurbani on the photos just images, which are not actual images of the Gurus anyway. So what I want to know, is it just superstition and am I gonna be sent to hell for recycling and caring about the environment or is there a Maryada that we have to burn them? 

Religious pictures

Shred the paper then recycle ♻️ 

Paper containing Gurbani

Ardaas & Agan bhet in a respectful way 

- check calendars they can contain the odd pangati, or ikonkar even. 

- Also dispose wedding invitations which contain gurbani(!)? same method 

I'd suggest agan bhet both the photos and gurbani out of adab and sarkar. Respect and Sharda is something you can develop within and bring yourself to not bin them. 

Dont feel like your saving the environment by recycling a few photos

I'm all for the recycling of things day to day but also dont fall for the whole if you burn something you dont care for the environment.

The west while plundering the world for so many years now sell us the great sustainability thing to fool us. All the world pollution was initiated by the west until it got so bad they are now trying to paint the whole 'caring for the earth'.

But instead they make us believe that recycling the milk bottle means we are being sustainable  while they continue  to pollute at an unimaginable rate without and concern for the earth.

But back to the topic, your Saas is right on this one.

its showing respect.  we don't worship the picture but the picture brings Guruji to our heart and mind.  its a form of remembering them.

i suggest you put them in a clean river.  they are paper and will biodegrade.

this is why i object to punjabi newspapers quoting Gurbani and putting photos of Saroops or even just drawings of Gurus, aswell as names of Shaheeds and Sants and other historical Gursikhs, because people may put those papers in the bin, so panjabi papers should not print them.

• 1 year later...

Although pics can be thrown away normal any shabds must be burnt. This is a respectful way. 

However, do not go against your Sass neither! It won't be right. And explaining to elders can be difficult... 

I remember at my old job at a Desi factory. Old pic of Gurus fell on the floor once. An Aunty looked gloomy and told me t pick it up and put it back on the "shelf." She was in pain a Baba Ji's pic fell... 

Few weeks later... 

Pic fell on the floor again amidst the mess, I picked it up... Looked sneakily over my shoulder... Coast is clear. Looked over me right shoulder... No Bibia in sight! It was a paper cut out of Maharaj. I took the pic and, as ye old coast is clear, picked up the old dusty calendars from beneath the table and chucked it all in the bin. 

Now, let's look at the reason for throw aways... For quite some time an old Bibi was against throwing them in the bin. The "Boss" would suggest it but no! "Ehna d satkar kro pr sitio naa." I was fed up with this, aren't we here to work!? And this SAME Bibi is against matha teaking of pictures of Gurus! (HEY thas everyone's each n own sharda). I knew where my beliefs stood. 

Months later... "Hey! Where them pics go? Singh Ji, has it fallen on the floor again?" Fully knowing the pic is probably stuck at the bottom of something untoward, I looked at the bottom of table n said ", It's not here now." Nobody questioned the disappearance of the san 47 (year 1947's) calendars. 

I could finally breath again... And all the men too I bet. 

23 hours ago, Singh1989 said:

Although pics can be thrown away normal any shabds must be burnt. This is a respectful way. 

However, do not go against your Sass neither! It won't be right. And explaining to elders can be difficult... 

I remember at my old job at a Desi factory. Old pic of Gurus fell on the floor once. An Aunty looked gloomy and told me t pick it up and put it back on the "shelf." She was in pain a Baba Ji's pic fell... 

Few weeks later... 

Pic fell on the floor again amidst the mess, I picked it up... Looked sneakily over my shoulder... Coast is clear. Looked over me right shoulder... No Bibia in sight! It was a paper cut out of Maharaj. I took the pic and, as ye old coast is clear, picked up the old dusty calendars from beneath the table and chucked it all in the bin. 

Now, let's look at the reason for throw aways... For quite some time an old Bibi was against throwing them in the bin. The "Boss" would suggest it but no! "Ehna d satkar kro pr sitio naa." I was fed up with this, aren't we here to work!? And this SAME Bibi is against matha teaking of pictures of Gurus! (HEY thas everyone's each n own sharda). I knew where my beliefs stood. 

Months later... "Hey! Where them pics go? Singh Ji, has it fallen on the floor again?" Fully knowing the pic is probably stuck at the bottom of something untoward, I looked at the bottom of table n said ", It's not here now." Nobody questioned the disappearance of the san 47 (year 1947's) calendars. 

I could finally breath again... And all the men too I bet. 

sad.  you should be ashamed of yourself.

Guest Maha Purkh

I will say are we that advanced. or is this backwards. We can feel Guru Jee in our heart just by looking at a picture. Didn't Guru Gobind Singh jee say Don't worship me. Worship the words of the great lord. I see so much fake in those pictures. We claim we are not Hindus but we sure act like them. I have translations of Guru Granth Sahib Jee but no pictures. Shall I remind you learn the ways of the Force. Please Guru Jee said repeat Wahaguru in every breath you take.