abortion

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

i was reading a post about abortion on sikhnet and i came across the following written by one of the moderators:

I'm afraid that you have been misinformed. As Sikhs, we believe that the soul enters the body at the 120th day of pregnancy. Therefore it is perfectly fine to have an abortion before the 120th day or 4th month...in the first trimester of pregnancy

i've never heard of this before, is it true? does anyone have any qoutes from the sggs ji to back this statement up ??

Guest SikhForLife
"As Sikhs, we believe that the soul enters the body at the 120th day of pregnancy"

i dont kno about that..!!!!

science says the child doesnt become 'alive' untill the 120th or so day

i dont think that has anything to do with sikhi..

waheguru ji ka khalsa

waheguru ji ki fateh...

I was talking to my mum ji about this...

a topic came up...

sometimes .. when ppl find out if the child is a female they tend to get an abortion... One of my mums freinds did this.. because her husband wanted a boy who could keep the family going..

After that lil talk.. i seriously went into deep thoughts...

i felt really bad.... i don get it.. why would ppl do that..

infact my question is.. how exactly do you expect the guy to keep the family going.. it takes two.. and the mom goes through a tougher time then the dad...

waheguru ji forgive me if i said anything wrong...

i just can't control my emotions when something like this comes up... :D

bhul chuk muaaf...

waheguru ji ka khalsa

waheguru ji ki fateh

Guest balwinderkaur

dear simran kaur bhainjee...female infancticide is TOTALLY WRONG and goes against sikhee. gurujee has condemned this harsh practice. it is WRONG to abort a child solely because its a girl and the couple only wants a boy simply because girls are a "burden"(in their eyes and mistaken perception)

hmm how does the guy keep the family going.....well he gets married and passes the name on to his kids and so on so forth. but in my opinion, keeping a family going does not ONLY comprise of having the descendants carrying the name but they should also have the GOOD VALUES imbibed by a particular family. and that, even a daughter can do it...

That's my take on the issue... :D

I have fixed stand. I am against abortion, except in the case where the mother's life is also threatened.

I am still against abortion because I believe the child is innocent. The man is the one at fault. But I also know the mother is in pain, so if she abort, I will well comfort her. But if she won't abort, I will go all out to support her. If I am the raped victim, I will NOT abort. But I might give my child to someone else to raise.

I believe that if I said something must be done, I must also do it when that something happens to me. Or I will be a hypocrite. Of course, sometimes, human has limited strength so I might end up not doing what I believe I must do. Because I know I am like that, I will forgive and tolerate people who also fail to hold onto the correct stand, as long as their hearts really want to change,or who has a heart that loves God.

In case you are wondering who this fellow is, I am Jasmine Chong Shipei, Balwinda's overzealous Christian friend, whose heart. soul, mind are into the Christian religion... or to be specifice Jesus. Anyway, it is interesting to look at what sikh thinks of abortion. And well, if you find me disturbing, blame me not. Balwinda is the one with fault.

Jasmine

• 2 months later...

GUR FATEH!!!

Abortion is used to wipe out the Sikh female population given that weat the moment we have the worst gender imbalances in the world:

874 : 1000 and declining :) @

Its one of the lowest in India... thats basically due to illiterate Peasant Sikh population in villages, where in some districts the sex ratio is as low as 550 : 1000...

Absolutely disgraceful for a community that claims to be against 'kurimar' and one which goes around telling people how we respect women and all...

So pardon any harsh comments from me in this regard, but here's my gut feeling on this topic:-

This is not news, this is merely the dark side of Indian and largely Punjabi and Rajisthani culture -the abhorrent attitude towards the female principle, so much so that we now have a grossly unbalanced sex ratio in the region with one of the results being the rise in homosexual behaviour and incidents evident within the region in addition to increased rape cases (heterosexual and homosexual).

[Note; I am not intending to begin a debate on homosexuality here, nor am I intending to exhort any homophobic comments, this is a observational comment only]

I say that this the “dark side of Indian and largely Punjabi and Rajisthani culture” on account of the fact that in almost every Rehitnama that exists within the Sikh Tradition, there is explicit reference to the sins of female infanticide and relationship with Kuri-Mars (those who commit female infanticide) is forbidden for Gursikhs. Cle

arly this tragedy has been occurring for centuries that the Gurus and GurSikhs after them saw the need to make such explicit reference owing to the widespread nature of this disease.

In fact, this side of Punjabi culture is visible throughout the Diaspora; in Canada, the UK and the US, I know of many families (from purely Punjabi families to Keshdhari/Amritdhari Sikh families) who continue this attitude of detesting the female child, evident throughout the life of the girl, particularly so through her adolescent years and then when she is a finally married woman...right through to her death...

...one only needs to compare the celebrations that follow the birth of a son in Punjabi families and compare it to the feelings present when a girl is born...frankly, it’s disgusting to say the least...

...in fact the detesting of the female principle is also evident within certain supposed Gurmukh circles who through their self-concocted ideals actively seek to masculine femininity and weaken the female status, evidence of this has be easily found today in the numerous events that we have seen around us in the past year (amply discussed on this and other forums)...

To add to this audacity, we find that Sikh leaders regularly fall back upon the cultural excuse when trying to justify outdated practices that are still manifest within the Panth...there is a lot more I can add on this matter...however this posting is already too long...I just hope that we can move forward from this plague and that our Leaders in Punjab take due note of what is occuring...

Forever at the feet of the Sadh Sangat,

BIR RAS DE NAAAL...

GURBAR AKAAAAAAAL! SAT SRI AKAAAAAAAL!!!!