Why do we have certain memories

puzzled

Why do we have random memories from years ago, especially our childhood? most of the time irrelevant stuff.  

For example, I have this random memory from around 20 years ago of seeing a dead crow. It crossed my mind again today. I must have been like 7/8 years old, maybe younger. I clearly remember it as if it only happened a few years back. My mama/mami from Birmingham were around, and my family and mama/mami decided to walk to another relatives house who lives like a 10 min walk from our house. I clearly remember it was in the evening, it was getting dusky, and we crossed the busy road to the other side, and that's where I saw the dead crow! on the pavement, it was completely flat, face turned to one side! I got upset.  My mami moved to this country when she was around1 years old back in the 50s. I remember pointing at the dead crow and telling her to look, and she sarcastically said "aww"  and looked at me. I even remember she had her chunni on her head and a shawl wrapped around her!

So, why do we have these random, irrational, irrelevant memories stored in our heads?  what is the point of this being stored in my head, when it has no purpose.

You forget most things, but then clearly remember these random things which are mostly useless! and its not like you choose to remember these random these things. 

How does it work? and why? 

1 hour ago, puzzled said:

Why do we have random memories from years ago, especially our childhood? most of the time irrelevant stuff.  

For example, I have this random memory from around 20 years ago of seeing a dead crow. It crossed my mind again today. I must have been like 7/8 years old, maybe younger. I clearly remember it as if it only happened a few years back. My mama/mami from Birmingham were around, and my family and mama/mami decided to walk to another relatives house who lives like a 10 min walk from our house. I clearly remember it was in the evening, it was getting dusky, and we crossed the busy road to the other side, and that's where I saw the dead crow! on the pavement, it was completely flat, face turned to one side! I got upset.  My mami moved to this country when she was around1 years old back in the 50s. I remember pointing at the dead crow and telling her to look, and she sarcastically said "aww"  and looked at me. I even remember she had her chunni on her head and a shawl wrapped around her!

So, why do we have these random, irrational, irrelevant memories stored in our heads?  what is the point of this being stored in my head, when it has no purpose.

You forget most things, but then clearly remember these random things which are mostly useless! and its not like you choose to remember these random these things. 

How does it work? and why? 

Vaheguru ji ka khalsa Vaheguru ji ki fateh

Veerji, I personally think that sometimes these memories come to remind us something. Maybe those memories have a lesson in them to remind us of something that we forgot cause we are distracted by Maya.Maybe your memory of the crow is to remind you life is short and we should not take it for granted, and that we should Jap more Naam.

Bhul Chuk Maf ?

2 hours ago, puzzled said:

Maybe you are associating your memories with stimulants from the environment. The more you think about these memories, the stronger the neural pathway associated with that memory becomes.

I've wondered this aswell. Not just memories, but even dreams amaze me. Most of my dreams take me to a certain home i lived in my youth for a few years. It wasn't the longest duration  out of all the places ive lived in, but it's where most of my dreams get based at.

Perhaps it's an impression that's left in our brains which is beyond our control. The brain finds that important for whatever reason and keeps bringing it up.

39 minutes ago, Jai Tegang! said:

I've wondered this aswell. Not just memories, but even dreams amaze me. Most of my dreams take me to a certain home i lived in my youth for a few years. It wasn't the longest duration  out of all the places ive lived in, but it's where most of my dreams get based at.

Perhaps it's an impression that's left in our brains which is beyond our control. The brain finds that important for whatever reason and keeps bringing it up.

Some people think you have a dream home that represents your space in the dream world where a lot of dreams occur, especially those with other consciousnesses. 

Like in the matrix when neo fights the train man. The train man has him come to the subway which is his domain in the matrix. Where he has greater ownership. 

We can discount the night dream as not real. And that's true. That's ultimately true of this too though. 

4 hours ago, GurjantGnostic said:

Like in the matrix when neo fights the train man. The train man has him come to the subway which is his domain in the matrix. Where he has greater ownership. 

How many hours a day you waste watching movies?

btw, one last question - How old are you? I just want to make sure I didnt waste my time with a 15 year old.

Just now, Kaurr said:

I still have a memory from when I was like 2 and I was picking up goa (cow poop). I think that's one of my earliest memories. Don't know what that's supposed to mean.

Yeah, my earliest memory is when I was 2 years old as well. We used to have this older Jamaican man living in our house on rent when I was a baby. Weird thing is I completely remember him! I described him to my mother and she was completely shocked how I remember him because I was only 2 year old back then. He used to have a small afro and wear those afro hats, light brown skin, tall and thin. He used to take me to the local shops and buy me milkyway chocolate, I remember it all!  He also gave me a big brown teddy bear.

Its so weird how remember him. 

Mum said he had quite a sad life ? 

His wife divorced him and kicked him out of the house and she didn't let him see their son. The brown bear he gave me, mum said it was his sons. 

He's one of my earliest memories  lol  

I do have a really good memory, I don't forget things easily lol 

It's weird how we remember these things, like poster Jai Tegang! said, its beyond our control, but brain decides to remember these things, for whatever reason.