The foundation stone of Harmander Sahib was place by Guru Arjan

Arsh1469

Yeah, all puratan Sikh literature says that Guru Arjan Dev placed the first brick. 

Not sure why someone decided to change that and write that Saint Mian Mir placed it ?

Unfortunately, most people still think that Mian Mir placed it.

I've seen people get upset on the internet when Singhs correct them and say Guru Sahib placed the first brick. 

Just now, puzzled said:

Yeah, all puratan Sikh literature mention that Guru Arjan Dev placed the first brick. 

Not sure why someone decided to change that and write that Saint Mian Mir placed it ?

Most people still think that Mian Mir placed it.

I've seen people get upset on the internet when Singhs correct them and say Guru Sahib placed the first brick. 

Giani Gian Singh made it up I believe to boost Sikh and Muslim Relations.

2 minutes ago, Arsh1469 said:

So many stories like these have popped up over the years.

You must of heard the story of how someone asked M.Ranjit Singh why he only has one eye, and he gave the cheesy reply so he can see Sikhs and Muslims equally. This is actually bs, he never said that, it's never been documented.

Sikhs have for far to long been trying to please others, even altering ithiaas so it sounds more pleasing to others.

Why ? 

Makes you think how many more fake stories there are that have been going around for decades. 

22 minutes ago, Arsh1469 said:

For someone with an honorific AND a first name that means 'wisdom' it disturbs me to see the lack of foresight in the statement he made. 

The Sikh intellectuals of the last century really bought into the "My enemy's enemy is my friend" mantra to a disturbing degree, to the point where they were willing to fabricate Sikh history for nonexistent or barely legible gain. 

34 minutes ago, puzzled said:

Yeah, all puratan Sikh literature says that Guru Arjan Dev placed the first brick. 

Unfortunately, most people still think that Mian Mir placed it.

For me, this is further evidence of us allowing our grasp on our historical moments (partly due to a non-existent power base that would otherwise prioritise our existence) that, in the grand scheme of history, aren't too long ago. We aren't talking biblical or mythological times as comparison where conjecture reigns. There should be no reason for us to be wondering what went down regarding something so fundamental to our being. 

1 hour ago, MisterrSingh said:

For me, this is further evidence of us allowing our grasp on our historical moments (partly due to a non-existent power base that would otherwise prioritise our existence) that, in the grand scheme of history, aren't too long ago. We aren't talking biblical or mythological times as comparison where conjecture reigns. There should be no reason for us to be wondering what went down regarding something so fundamental to our being. 

There far too many of these fake stories around.

Like that painting of bibi Nanki tying rakhri on Guru Nanak ji. Now, people can say oh it's just a painting, but for the simple minded, and those who don't know the basics of Sikh ithiaas, for them that painting is a fact! 

I've seen it hanging in peoples houses in India. In fact, when you tell uncles/aunties that rakhri is not Sikhi, they say oh but theres a painting of Bibi Nanki ji trying rakhri in Guru Nanak dev ji. Even your average British born who knows nothing about ithiaas will say that.

It takes these small things, and they spread and people start believing them.

Far too many of these stories, they all need to be scrapped out! 

Thing is, some Sikhs really like these stories! Why do they? I never understood that. And they then get upset and defensive when you tell them these are fake stories. Like there was a particular user on here a few days back, lol, the type that love these stories and get upset otherwise. They turn around and call your extremists. 

Strange.