Any Punjabi course for adult beginners

Guest Singh

I’ve notice a lot of my cousins in Canada can’t speak Punjabi let alone read it.  They are too old to go the the local Punjabi school offered in the gurdwara.  They don’t come from religious families and I feel really bad as I think their chances of connecting with Sikhi are pretty slim due to the language barrier.  A few have expressed regret that they weren’t encouraged to learn at a young age and their parents spoke only English at home.  Any suggestions? 

This may be the next level BUT... Go for santhia (or Sankhia). With Santhia start from Baal Updesh (Ooda Aeda), complete entire book THEN go for Santhia of Maharaaj. MUST be Keshdhaari as a minimum requirement (absolutely no cutting/ trimming of the hair anywhere on body). 

Second recommendation, getting a beginner's book from the library n studying it. Even if it's for toddlers! Main important thing is to make a start. 

Last recommendation, listening to Punjabi broadcasts radio. It will have a profound affect only within 6 months. Listen for a good hour each day. Then build up on read n writing. 

Good luck. 

On 2/11/2021 at 11:40 PM, Guest Singh said:

I’ve notice a lot of my cousins in Canada can’t speak Punjabi let alone read it.  They are too old to go the the local Punjabi school offered in the gurdwara.  They don’t come from religious families and I feel really bad as I think their chances of connecting with Sikhi are pretty slim due to the language barrier.  A few have expressed regret that they weren’t encouraged to learn at a young age and their parents spoke only English at home.  Any suggestions? 

Send them to India and have them live there for some months with relatives, that's how I learned, cant read it but you can speak it and hear it.

On 2/11/2021 at 11:40 PM, Guest Singh said:

They can connect with Sikhi in English, there is a youtube channel called "Basics of Sikhi" the videos done by Jagraj Singh  (Rest in peace) was done very well, in english too, and he himself was born in the UK and used to be a Mona.

On 2/12/2021 at 4:40 AM, Guest Singh said:

they can still connect with sikhi and they can still learn punjabi.  grown adults who failed colleague learn difficult languages like Mandarin and Arabic.  look on Youtube for language learning advice from people who have done it.

for learning punjabi- some good websites out there.  

for connecting with sikhi- do 2 mins silent naam simran in the morning, amrit vela bath, keep some sikh artwork that inspires them near their bed (e.g. like a drawing of Guru Gobind Singh) and do some basic Gurdwara seva once a week.  Connection with sikh comes by Grace of Guru/God and not by education alone.