Khalsa TV fined 50,000 pound for inciting violence, terror reference

Premi5

KTV had aired a music video and a discussion programme which gave out an indirect call to Sikhs living in the UK to commit violence. The material also contained a terror referenc

twitter-logoBusinessToday.In | February 13, 2021 | Updated 19:18 IST

lg.php?bannerid=1200&campaignid=278&zone
KTV is a television channel which broadcasts content for the Sikh community in the United Kingdom

United Kingdom's media watchdog has slapped a fine of GBP 50,000 (approx Rs 50.2 lakhs) on Khalsa Television Ltd (KTV) for inciting British Sikhs to commit violence. KTV had aired a music video and a discussion programme which gave out an indirect call to Sikhs living in the UK to commit violence. The material also contained a terror reference, as per news agency PTI.  

The Office of Communications (Ofcom), the UK's media watchdog, issued the order on Friday following its findings dating back to February and November 2019.

"We have today fined KTV GBP 50,000 for airing content which had the potential to incite violence and cause harm. KTV also must not repeat the content concerned, and air a summary of our decision," Ofcom said in a tweet.

Ofcom has levied two financial penalties on KTV for failing to comply with the watchdog's broadcasting rules. A GBP 20,000 has been imposed for the music video and GBP 30,000 for the discussion programme, according to the Ofcom order.  

Ofcom's order to KTV also includes direction for the channel to air a statement regarding the media watchdog's findings in a form which will be determined by the regulatory body itself. KTV has also been ordered to not repeat telecast the music video and discussion programme in question.  

On July 4, 7, and 9 in 2018, KTV had aired the music video for a song called 'Bagga and Shera'. After the investigation, Ofcom has concluded that the music video gave an indirect call to action for Sikhs in the UK to commit violence.  

According to Ofcom, the music video appeared to be seeking to influence people by communicating a message to the viewers without them being aware or fully aware. This was in violation of the watchdog's rules.  

The discussion programme was broadcasted on March 30, 2019, with the title 'Pantak Masle'. Ofcom discovered that the programme gave a platform to individuals to express their views which amounted to indirect calls to action and were likely to incite crimes.  

Ofcom also found that the programme included a reference to  Babbar Khalsa, a proscribed terrorist organisation. Ofcom concluded that this could be taken as an attempt at legitimising the terrorist organisation and normalising its aims and actions

KTV is a television channel which broadcasts content for the Sikh community in the United Kingdom under a licence held by Khalsa Television Limited.

13 minutes ago, kcmidlands said:

Hardly, it took Ofcom 2 years, and before coming out with some huge conspiracy theory about how Ofcom target Sikh channels I'd look into the history of Ktv a little, especially Jeeta Singh, every time someone say's something against them they come out wit the same "oh, they're against Sikhi" diatribe,  I've seen Nigerian satellite channels that are run better than Ktv.

There's some things that just can't be said on TV. Hold those views in private, but don't clown yourself and endanger your entire enterprise. 

26 minutes ago, kcmidlands said:

Exactly, they released a statement and video but even that show a clear lack of understanding as to how broadcasting rules work, they placed the blame on the guests they had but don't seem to understand that the responsibility lies with them as broadcasters, there's a reason most live tv show's aren't really live, they have a delay of about 10-20 seconds so things can be cut that may breach broadcast guidelines.

It's just what the Sikh community needs at the moment, India are using every trick in the book to paint us all as terrorist's and you get idiots like this running their mouths off.

Anyone with some sharam won't bother trying to defend the cause because they know they'll have to try to justify and explain the mistakes of these kinds of guys. So what you'll get is a bunch of unintelligent albeit passionate people fronting a cause where they'll be baited into obliteration by scheming media people. In the court of public opinion, where much of the opinion forming and propaganda is done nowadays, it's over before it's even begun.

Two groups or causes that CAN get away with incitement: 1) Destroy whitey (as evidenced by the BBC on their comedy panel shows of all places, lmao. 2) Anything to do with transgenderism, which is fast becoming our modern day civil rights issue.

We don't belong to either of these groups, therefore we will not be granted leeway to shoot off our mouths! ?

1 hour ago, kcmidlands said:

Hardly, it took Ofcom 2 years, and before coming out with some huge conspiracy theory about how Ofcom target Sikh channels I'd look into the history of Ktv a little, especially Jeeta Singh, every time someone say's something against them they come out wit the same "oh, they're against Sikhi" diatribe,  I've seen Nigerian satellite channels that are run better than Ktv.

Did I miss a joke or you vote for your own posts?

13 minutes ago, GurjantGnostic said:

Did I miss a joke or you vote for your own posts?

You said "Amazing how fast things happen when people want it to.", my point was it took Ofcom nearly 2 years to make a decision, it was hardly fast, i don't know you could vote for your own posts, i might just go through and do that to all my posts now.......

56 minutes ago, kcmidlands said:

You said "Amazing how fast things happen when people want it to.", my point was it took Ofcom nearly 2 years to make a decision, it was hardly fast, i don't know you could vote for your own posts, i might just go through and do that to all my posts now.......

Right. Bump that rating. Jk.  Yeah I had no idea about this so it seemed it pertained to current events. Thank you for clarifying.