Sikhs /Sikhi in UK vs USA

Premi5

5 hours ago, Ranjeet01 said:

Forgot to add:

Sikh communities in the UK largely built around employment.

For example, Southall's Sikh community originally was based around a rubber factory. 

If Sikhs in the US had migration around a large employer in a particular town then a community would develop around that.

Where we do have big beuatiful Gurudwaras they don't seem to operate the same here. 

7 minutes ago, Kau89r8 said:

image.png.334ed5e6ebec452518af8453bf3a2ecb.png

Why do they always stem from USA/Canada ? 

She's raised in the same feminism and equality movements that are ruining everyone's families. Both those movements have legitimate roots but have been twisted and used as a way to totally dismantle people. 

I hope she realizes she can have zero babies and not call people with a mind to not go extinct ethnically as nazis. 

Probably nobody will be able to speak with her since she has no respect for anything but her own selfish blown out of proportion desires. It's sad. Media has everyone proper twisted mentally. 

She will never hear a male voice and didn't pay attention to her Sister really in passing, trying to feed her a moderate moment. 

And she's clearly mistaken about how many children some women can have heathily. You'd think someone had her stuck in a breeding rack the way she talks. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2021 at 6:31 AM, californiasardar1 said:

There is a massive difference between the Sikh experience in the UK vs the US. The UK is a much better place to be a Sikh.

The biggest difference-maker is population density.

According to the 2011 census, there were (at the time) about 432,000 Sikhs in the UK. Accounting for some population growth and uncounted people (such as illegal immigrants), there are probably at least 500,000 Sikhs in the UK today. Now take into consideration that the UK has a population of about 67 million crammed into a relatively small island. And also consider that most of the Sikhs live in certain parts of the UK that have relatively large Sikh populations (e.g. West London, Birmingham area, etc.).

There are not official figures on Sikhs in the US, but based on data about people from and Indian background and Punjab-speaking background, 250,000 is probably a very conservative upper bound on the US Sikh population. And then consider that the US is a massive country and has a population of about 330 million.

As a consequence, Sikhs are much less visible and much less powerful (as a community) in the US than they are in the UK. In the UK, I feel like most people have an awareness of who Sikhs are. When I have been in the UK, it is a bit of a relief to not feel like I have to constantly point out that I'm not an Arab or a Muslim. In the US, nobody had a clue what a Sikh was when I was growing up. It is getting a bit better now, but it's still not great.

Anyway, aside from how Sikhs are viewed by the general population, I think the population density of Sikhs is most important for the Sikh community itself. It makes for a greater support system for more religiously inclined Sikhs. Further, the critical mass enables people who don't come from religious families to nevertheless gain exposure to Sikhi and get into it as they grow older. That's probably why examples of monay who become Singhs are much more frequent in the UK than in the US.

In California, which groups of people seem to be best aware of Sikhs  - WASP types or non whites (including Mexicans) or is it just based on whether they live near Sikhs?