Sikhi and abortion

puzzled

12 hours ago, Kaurr said:

I'm generally curious to know what they write for advertisement.

They just advertise the different things the clinic offers, while some just advertise the abortion. This was a while a back, not sure is they've been banned. I think a lot of work is going into making sure people don't abort female babies.   

15 hours ago, GurjantGnostic said:

It could be that being in the physical is extremely painful for an Atma that was just somewhere more spiritual less brutal. 

And forming a body? I wonder if it isn't really a physical hell for a little fresh returned thing to go through and if it doesn't take the hand holding of Vaheguru to do it. 

Who knows what metaphysical mentoring, or bonding time, happens between baby and Vaheguru Ji in this Samadhi. 

Yeah that makes sense. I've read that when the Atma leaves the body it sometimes feels painful depending on how attached the Atma got to the body. After being in the presence of God it must be painful to be put back into a body again. 

I've read how some people who were good people, before being sent back down again, they're rewarded by letting them sit among sangat up there and listening to kirtan. After experiencing that divine bliss it must feel very painful to be put back into the womb again!  

It has kind of bugged me why since 1901 census that was always more males than females, then after partition, the male ratio to female ratio born after a 5 year period reversed.

This may help to explain some of these reasons:

https://www.popsci.com/scitech/article/2008-12/why-does-war-breed-more-boys/

If Punjab has always sees violence through uprising and invasions, it stands to reason that Punjab for centuries has always been at a war-like state or have some low-level intensity conflict. This may help to explain that why Punjab may have traditionally had more males than females. You need more males to fight.

There was another link ( I cannot find) which said if there was a high impact short term war, this could skew ratios in one direction and if it is a longer term war, the ratio goes the other way.

(Found it: https://academic.oup.com/humrep/article/19/1/218/690115)

Partition was a high impact but very short term (a lot of people were killed in a very short period of time) and when this happens, something kicks in at the biological level. I am no expert, but in Punjab's circumstances, more girls are born in this type of scenario

The only other country that probably that had the level of genocide that is comparable to partition is Rwanda. They are a population that seems to have  traditionally have more females but in some categories of age group (particularly now have more males)

I think something like 250,000 people were killed or "missing" in a 10 year period from 1984-1994, this might have skewed the ratio in where more boys are born.

Between 1947 and 1981, Punjab had some relative stability which could explain why the ratios were narrowing.

Again I could be absolutely wrong in some of my conclusions here, but I think this a multi-faceted issue. One single factor cannot explain it all but it may play a contributing factor.

There are states that have a much higher rate of abortion than Punjab.

Punjab have below average rates as per the data provided.

The southern states have higher rates as well as the North East states.

It seems that urban and progressive areas of India tend to have higher rates than the more backward states. 

The question then is out of those abortions, how many were carried out because of sex-selection? 

I'd imagine in Punjab the number of abortions carried out because of sex selection increased in the late 90s and 2000s.

100,000s men were murdered, mainly men in their 20s,30s. And then after that Punjab had an explosion of drugs, particularly in the same areas where most of the false encounters happened. So more guys started dying.

Dowry should be looked at very closely when talking about abortion. But not in the simplistic way most people do. It should analysed for the role it plays in Indian society as a whole. Overall, I think it's a bad practice that's disapproved of by our religion, BUT in some cases I've seen the "fear" of dowry is the difference between an unruly and troublesome bride behaving herself at her in-laws (because she realises her father has paid for these items beyond his actual means, and if she has to return home due to her kartootah, she's going to be in trouble) and a bride who destroys her marital home because there's no "fear" to keep her check. In a perfect world we wouldn't require something like dowry to make people behave themselves, but we don't live in a perfect world.

6 minutes ago, puzzled said:

I'd imagine in Punjab the number of abortions carried out because of sex selection increased in the late 90s and 2000s.

100,000s men were murdered, mainly men in their 20s,30s. And then after that Punjab had an explosion of drugs, particularly in the same areas where most of the false encounters happened. So more guys started dying.

I think in the 80's when our boys were getting slaughtered it scared a lot of parents.

You get into survival mode, you try to protect your boys and you try to replenish the population with boys. 

This will come with detriment and neglect of girls.

So when sex-selected abortions take off, it is with the paranoia and anxiety of there not being enough boys. 

You have to remember in some societies, the sons are your pension. They are the ones to look after you in your old age. Your daughter will join another family. 

However, when the troubles taper off, the practice at some level carries on.