Glasgow Rangers Sikh family caught singing offensive anti-Irish/Catholic song

Niara

Dude sports a nice Dhari. He's clearly very fit and well versed in Gurbani. 

Who needs Dharam when you have football?

Ultimately the true blame rests on the imperialist culture that wrote the hate lyrics, destroyed both our cultures and gave us football to replace the Paanth with. 

Got to hand it to them. They know their business. That dude is sitting drunk proof. 

10 hours ago, ChardikalaUK said:

Imagine being 60 and being so passionate about a bunch of men kicking a ball around. Pathetic.

I can see your perspective and agree to an extent 

but most of the older supporters of football teams mellow by the age of 50-60

also, for some (not all) supporters, the team is closely linked to their identity/their family’s identity, e.g many football teams were founded in areas where people had a certain trade/industry

in this case if they are Sikh, it’s a little surprising they support Rangers who are very much a British Union-linked team (unlike their big rivals  Celtic who represent Irish Ctholic immigrants and by extension, Irish nationalism)

a lot of the soccer rivalries around the world are linked to deeper socio-economic history 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56460653

Connor Goldson had to be held back as he charged after Ondrej Kudela Connor Goldson had to be held back during the incident

Rangers' Connor Goldson admits he "wanted to hurt someone" on the pitch after the alleged racist abuse of team-mate Glen Kamara and says things will never change with "token gestures".

The Ibrox club have urged Uefa to act after Thursday's Europa League loss to Slavia Prague ended in heated scenes.

Kamara - and Kemar Roofe - have since been subjected to racial slurs online.

"It never will get eradicated because there are so many token gestures out there," said defender Goldson.

"I'll be honest, taking a knee - token gesture from the higher authorities to make it look like they are doing something to help. But they are not because when these things happen there is no consequence.

"There might be a fine but it's never enough. You get fined more for showing an advertisement on your underwear than you do for being racist. It will never change.

"We're in an age now where I feel we're making steps forward, but then with things like social media, it's a move backwards. 

"You have the incident on the pitch where you are already angry. Then you come into the changing room and the boys look at their phones and you see all sorts of emojis and racism from sections of their fans. It's just hard to take."

Slavia Prague's Ondrej Kudel said he swore at Kamara while covering his mouth during a fracas late in the game, but denied using racist language during the second leg of the last-16 tie, which nine-man Rangers lost 2-0 to go out 3-1 on aggregate.

Uefa has confirmed that it will conduct an investigation into events at Ibrox, while the Czech champions released a statement, saying "any form of racial discrimination is contrary to our values and principles".

Kudel was immediately surrounded by furious Rangers players, including Goldson, who said he was "disgusted with what happened". 

He added: "I know it was said, 100%. I didn't hear it myself but I know how Glen is. 

"In the two and a half years he's been here I don't think you've ever seen him angry or emotional in any way. So for him to get like that then I know something was said and I believe him 100%.

"That's why I reacted in the way I did. The player couldn't even look me in my eyes or speak to me. I've never been so angry on a football pitch.

"I'll be honest, I completely lost my cool and for the remainder of the game all I wanted to do was hurt someone. I've never been like that before on a football pitch."

The statement from Slavia called for a full Uefa investigation and added that Kudela is a "decent and modest person with a strong moral integrity".

It said: "We are shocked that his reputation and the club's reputation are being smeared without a single piece of evidence."

5 hours ago, Premi5 said:

I can see your perspective and agree to an extent 

but most of the older supporters of football teams mellow by the age of 50-60

also, for some (not all) supporters, the team is closely linked to their identity/their family’s identity, e.g many football teams were founded in areas where people had a certain trade/industry

in this case if they are Sikh, it’s a little surprising they support Rangers who are very much a British Union-linked team (unlike their big rivals  Celtic who represent Irish Ctholic immigrants and by extension, Irish nationalism)

a lot of the soccer rivalries around the world are linked to deeper socio-economic history 

I see your point as well but at the end if the day it is just a game, a game in which men are kicking and running after a ball. It shouldn't be attached to your identity in my opinion. You should never get worked up about a game, you have no control over what happens on the pitch. When your favourite team wins, it is they who put in the effort to win, yet the fans will bask in reflected glory and claim the victory as theirs.

I stopped caring about football in my early 30s, I realised there's far more important things in life. I will watch the Champions League final and  World Cup/Euros but that's it.

You have to look at the environment they are living in.

This is Glasgow. It is a place where there is a lot of deprivation, no opportunities, bad diet,  low life expectancy and a lot of booze. 

It is a depressing place, people have nothing to live for. 

The only thing they look forward to is football. It is the only thing that gives them joy. Plus the fact there are only 2 football teams in Scotland that actually win anything. 

5 hours ago, Ranjeet01 said:

You have to look at the environment they are living in.

This is Glasgow. It is a place where there is a lot of deprivation, no opportunities, bad diet,  low life expectancy and a lot of booze. 

It is a depressing place, people have nothing to live for. 

The only thing they look forward to is football. It is the only thing that gives them joy. Plus the fact there are only 2 football teams in Scotland that actually win anything. 

It's not that bad. You make it sound like it's Mogadishu. It qasba very violent place in the 80s and 90s but I think it's improved a lot since then.