Why do British Sikhs write "pen ji" instead of "bhan ji" and "pend" instead of "pind", etc.

10 hours ago, californiasardar1 said:

I have tried to refrain from commenting on this, but I have noticed these peculiarities in most posts on these forums over the years.

So what is the explanation? Is it due to a different pronunciation in the Doabi dialect that most of you speak (I know most of you have roots in the Doaba region)?

Where in Punjab are your family from?

I think it’s because of someone doesn’t know Gurmukhi , they don’t appreciate the Bh- sound as much and not know difference between ‘pappa’ and ‘’bhabha’

in Gurmukhi 

4 hours ago, Dsinghd said:

Yes most Punjabis here from Jalandhar district. 

More accurately, I think you mean Doaba including Kaputthala, Nawansheher And Hoshiarpur districts

as above, it’s not IMO the region people’s family are from just that they are not versed in Gurmukhi 

17 minutes ago, Premi5 said:

I think it’s because of someone doesn’t know Gurmukhi , they don’t appreciate the Bh- sound as much and not know difference between ‘pappa’ and ‘’bhabha’

in Gurmukhi 

It’s just a regional thing.  The same as when people from Doaba pronounce the V&W’s as B’s, such as Vaal/Baal, Vatta/Batta, Vinga/Binga, Vaisakhi/Baisakhi, Video/Bideo and not forgetting Window/Bindow.  Slight differences between Maja, Doaba and Malwa.  

1 hour ago, TigerForce1 said:

It’s just a regional thing.  The same as when people from Doaba pronounce the V&W’s as B’s, such as Vaal/Baal, Vatta/Batta, Vinga/Binga, Vaisakhi/Baisakhi, Video/Bideo and not forgetting Window/Bindow.  Slight differences between Maja, Doaba and Malwa.  

People from Malwa can also mix the B/v sounds and actually some of your examples can be correct either way in written Punjabi 

Those who speak Punjabi as first language or know Gurmukhi know when sounds are -bh rather than -p 

i have noticed the ‘pend’ rather than pind is a Doabia thing though 

• 2 weeks later...