Can Indians ever get past idolatry

puzzled

29 minutes ago, NaamTiharoJoJape said:

waheguru ji 

I have a question if anyone can clear my doubts on shastar puja being similar to idolatry 

How I see it is, that when they worship idols, trees, animals, graves etc   they pray to it, so they ask it to answer their prayers. Like they go to a grave and ask the grave to answer their prayers and if the person buried under the grave answers their prayers they buy a green sheet and cover the grave with the sheet.

But with Shastar Puja, from my understanding, they aren't asking the shastars to answer their prayers, neither do they pray to them, or ask them for guidance. 

5 minutes ago, puzzled said:

How I see it is, that when they worship idols, trees, animals, graves etc   they pray to it, so they ask it to answer their prayers. Like they go to a grave and ask the grave to answer their prayers and if the person buried under the grave answers their prayers they buy a green sheet and cover the grave with the sheet.

But with Shastar Puja, from my understanding, they aren't asking the shastars to answer their prayers, neither do they pray to them, or ask them for guidance. 

so more close to token of respect as we touch the feet of a mahapurkh 

or do shastar namaskaar

either way, shastar are our saints as well 

so would you say sgpc was wrong to "ban" it 

also I request anyone to come to the baba sahib singh thread, I am trying to learn more about nihangs and traditionalists 

2 minutes ago, NaamTiharoJoJape said:

so more close to token of respect as we touch the feet of a mahapurkh 

or do shastar namaskaar

either way, shastar are our saints as well 

so would you say sgpc was wrong to "ban" it 

Yeah, but that's just my limited understanding of it, perhaps someone who knows more about shastar puja can answer.

Dusherra was celebrated in the Sikh empire. They would do shastar and cannon puja, extra charity, and then mock fighting, where one Singh would dress as Raavan and the other dress like Raam. 

10 minutes ago, NaamTiharoJoJape said:

yeah, every rakhri i still get in arguments lmaoo

i stopped doing matha tek of pictures when i gained some surt around age 12

I worshiped the paintings till I was around 14 lol    

Yeah I stopped rakhri too, my parents still get upset about it, but i don't feel comfortable wearing sparkly and colourful strings around my wrist! 

4 minutes ago, puzzled said:

I worshiped the paintings till I was around 14 lol    

Yeah I stopped rakhri too, my parents still get upset about it, but i don't feel comfortable wearing sparkly and colourful strings around my wrist! 

I still grudingly  have to do rakhri since I am an adolescent, but I take it off in a matter of 2 hours 

I honestly don't criticize anyone else practicing it, but I just want people to stop forcing me 

I dont rok tok others, just the annoying part is "bibi nanaki tied rakhri on guru nanak"

maybe Ill draw a picture of guru nanak in santa's sled helping him handout presents

plus isnt there a picture of guru sahiban worshipping gau mata by rss etc. 

as long as misinformation isn't spread and culture/religion are kept seperate, I dont care what people do 

36 minutes ago, NaamTiharoJoJape said:

I still grudingly  have to do rakhri since I am an adolescent, but I take it off in a matter of 2 hours 

I honestly don't criticize anyone else practicing it, but I just want people to stop forcing me 

I dont rok tok others, just the annoying part is "bibi nanaki tied rakhri on guru nanak"

maybe Ill draw a picture of guru nanak in santa's sled helping him handout presents

plus isnt there a picture of guru sahiban worshipping gau mata by rss etc. 

as long as misinformation isn't spread and culture/religion are kept seperate, I dont care what people do 

Same, I don't really tell my family what they should do or what they shouldn't. They can believe in what they want to believe. Though if they do something which I don't agree with, and it offends me, then I tell them. For example, how people started carving their names in karas!  I told my family in India that I'm strongly against that, and that it goes against what I believe. For a minute they were like "oh yeah, that's true, its wrong to do that" and then they went straight back to talking about getting their names carved in karas! 

Other than that I've never given my opinion!

When I go India they take me to all the odd places that they worship at, but I just pretend that I'm praying, lol 

49 minutes ago, puzzled said:

Same, I don't really tell my family what they should do or what they shouldn't. They can believe in what they want to believe. Though if they do something which I don't agree with, and it offends me, then I tell them. For example, how people started carving their names in karas!  I told my family in India that I'm strongly against that, and that it goes against what I believe. For a minute they were like "oh yeah, that's true, its wrong to do that" and then they went straight back to talking about getting their names carved in karas! 

Other than that I've never given my opinion!

When I go India they take me to all the odd places that they worship at, but I just pretend that I'm praying, lol 

haha im called a fundamentalist, and I haven't even taken amrit yet 

"tu ta bada kattar aa yaar" 

these things are why we are behind (especially intellectually, while we have puratan records, and we should be grateful for how much we have preserved, but I think most of would do anything to go back in time and record everything ourselves)

i feel tht those ppl are uneducated and when they start becoming educated they try becoming all modern and end up being athiests. My mom is messed up kinda one time she brought a pic of hindu gods to the house and placed it near entrance was really embarassing cos when my friends would come over theyd all say tu bahmin ban gayea? I got rid of it and my mom was pretty mad about it but my dad laughed and said i did good. I also see at the dollar store here thats owned by indian family have mini idols of Guru Nanak Ji. Should I go there one day and tell them polietly they shouldn't restock those?

16 minutes ago, justasking said:

. I also see at the dollar store here thats owned by indian family have mini idols of Guru Nanak Ji. Should I go there one day and tell them polietly they shouldn't restock those?

That's also in a lot of the Indian grocery stores here in the US as well.