Can Indians ever get past idolatry

puzzled

14 minutes ago, NaamTiharoJoJape said:

oh okay now I remember a bit bout baba balak nath

he is very famous yes I heard about women not being allowed to gi in

dont know bout the rest 

women are allowed at kaharpur gurudwara, but baba ji doesnt sit in sangat with them when they outside to meet him, but stands across a wall from where he talks (on the other side there is a mango tree my nanaji tells stories bout from his youth lol) , but they sat with us since he is familiar with us 

yes basically tomb worshipping, at mai dian kangan i think, we did matha tek to i think the balan of bhai manj (am not sure, because I think when he fell in the well or something like that might have been at amritsar instead so it makes sense for the balan to be used in langar over there) 

beside that area is guru maharaj vrajman as well (as well as downstairs)

i have very faint memories so am not sure entirely 

Yeah, I don't know that much about baba Balak Nath. As a boy basically lived in an old ladies house who he treated like a mother. He used to look after her cows etc  but the cows used to eat the crops of other farmers and they would always complain. The lady that Baba Balak Nath lived with wasn't a very kind or motherly lady! one day the farmers came and complained to her how baba Balak Nath always lets her cows into their fields and eat their crops. The lady then got very angry with baba Balak Nath and told him he is ungrateful etc, He then said he will leave her and never bother her again, she then said first pay me back all the years I made roti for you!  He then performed a miracle and all these rotts(sweet bread) started falling from a tree. She then realized that he was no ordinary kid and begged him to stay but he refused and went off! apparently she spent the rest of her life looking for him but never found him.

That's all I know ... 

I have no idea how he ended up becoming so popular in Punjab ... 

7 minutes ago, puzzled said:

Yeah, I don't know that much about baba Balak Nath. As a boy basically lived in an old ladies house who he treated like a mother. He used to look after her cows etc  but the cows used to eat the crops of other farmers and they would always complain. The lady that Baba Balak Nath lived with wasn't a very kind or motherly lady! one day the farmers came and complained to her how baba Balak Nath always lets her cows into their fields and eat their crops. The lady then got very angry with baba Balak Nath and told him he is ungrateful etc, He then said he will leave her and never bother her again, she then said first pay me back all the years I made roti for you!  He then performed a miracle and all these rotts(sweet bread) started falling from a tree. She then realized that he was no ordinary kid and begged him to stay but he refused and went off! apparently she spent the rest of her life looking for him but never found him.

That's all I know ... 

I have no idea how he ended up becoming so popular in Punjab ... 

maybe due to proximity like naina devi mandir

is his place in jammu or himachal, or further away in lahaul/spiti or uttarakhand

43 minutes ago, puzzled said:

Its scary, because I've heard some terrifying stories of what happens if you don't serve the jagga! 

Once you start serving these places they demand worship!

Do you guys think that fear is a factor in why they are still practicing idolatry?

If Sikhs as a whole know it is wrong why do we keep on doing it?

1 minute ago, puzzled said:

In Himachal Pradesh. 

Himachal Pradesh is very beautiful. The highlight of my trip was a monkey turning the tap and then drinking water! it happened right before me lol   he literally bounced onto the ground, turned the tap and then stuck his face under the water and had a drink, lol.  

so it was practically punjab at one point 

its literally on border between bilaspur and hamirpur (next to nawanshahr/hoshiarpur)

bilaspur was kahlur back in guru sahibs day, whose raja bhim chand attacked guru sahib and lead the other pahari rajay

19 minutes ago, puzzled said:

In Himachal Pradesh. 

Himachal Pradesh is very beautiful. The highlight of my trip was a monkey turning the tap and then drinking water! it happened right before me lol   he literally bounced onto the ground, turned the tap and then stuck his face under the water and had a drink, lol.  

Love it. Monkey snatched my food in Japan once.  

They'll also have one run up and snatch from a street vendor and if he chases it the other five come clean him out. 

They look all cute and small until they want your food, then suddenly they look much bigger and you realize as they jump from feet away and snatch it..that yes...it is indeed their food. 

11 minutes ago, GurjantGnostic said:

Love it. Monkey snatched my food in Japan once.  

They'll also have one run up and snatch from a street vendor and if he chases it the other five come clean him out. 

They look all cute and small until they want your food, then suddenly they look much bigger and you realize as they jump from feet away and snatch it..that yes...it is indeed their food. 

haha its so true. Initially they look cute, they look like little people lol, with their hands, feet and expressive faces, but when they see food in your hands they go crazy! 

The males and also the females with babies clinging onto them can be quite aggressive! 

19 minutes ago, puzzled said:

Yeah fear plays a big part, if you don't serve the tomb then people fear they will face consequences. 

That's why you should stay away from these places and not get involved. Its the same with the Muslim graves.

My mothers brother who lives here in the UK, if he doesn't do tuf or light diva for the jagga on Sundays, he starts seeing a black figure!  So even though the jagga is all the way in India, if he doesn't light a diva and tuf he starts seeing a dark figure in the house here in the UK!   He can't tell if its a man or a woman! one day he was going down to the basement and started seeing flashes of a dark figure on the staircase. But when he lights a diva and tuf he stops seeing the figure.

Its messed up!  

I've told my mother I'm not going to get involved in any of this, lighting divas for it etc     

People should stay away from this stuff. 

Our guru doesn't frighten us like that when we forget him or get lazy, he has subtle ways of reminding us, we just don't have the ears or eyes to notice these subtle reminders. 

These jaggas on the other hand frighten the life out of you!  

haha akaal purakh endows upon us the greatest reminder 

aging