A day in the life of Mister Singh

21 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

Erm...thanks for the compliment? I am pretty well educated (academically), but I think it's the knowledge you gain outside of that that is equally, if not more, important. Being a 'reader' helps big time, regardless of whether you are educated or not from what I've seen and experienced. I know people who are graduates who have very little knowledge outside of their specialty and can't even spell or write very well.....so?   Like I alluded to earlier, office work didn't agree with me, nor I with it, when younger - I found racism to be commonplace - especially the covert type. On the other side of the fence the racism is more out in the open. 

I have a relative who went college in Canada, he thought the education system was better out there. I've worked in education and most of my closest friends are teachers still - there are lots of dubious things going on in the state system here. I think some people are innately independent learners too (with Waheguru ji's kirpa), so they still end up getting educated regardless of the schools they went to.   One positive thing I will say about the UK system, is that it allows people to pursue education after school (used to be anyway, don't know now?).  So if you f**ked up your GCSEs when young (say you had drama at home), you can go college in the evenings as an adult and get them. 

Other than pushing untraditional gender roles and sexual education, what other dubious things do they tell you about ?

9 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

Can you elaborate, I don't get your question? 

On 5/29/2021 at 7:37 PM, dallysingh101 said:

I've worked in education and most of my closest friends are teachers still - there are lots of dubious things going on in the state system here. 

Bolded part

11 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

It's the usual, very selective promotion along racial lines, or of weak-willed ethnic people who toe the line. Funds being funneled away away from the front line by higher and middle management.  Targeting of ethnic teachers through the disciplinary procedure. 

Many of my teacher friends think that the system purposefully employs incompetent teachers in the state FE system to hamper the children's chance of success. Good teachers are demoralised by an excess of administration work, which doesn't help teaching. College teachers are encouraged to pass students to get funds, to the point that people who haven't even grasped basic literacy get passed. Generally a system where money generation for upper management is primary, and and sort of ideals to getting the best out of students is non-existence - a culture of low expectations if you like.

New teachers dropping out of the role after a few years is very common. Retention is an issue.  

Being a teacher I think, is a very difficult job in the UK outside of nice areas/selective schools/private schools because they are not respected the way they should be e.g. in Asian countries. A lot of people who have kids don't value education the way they should (although saying that, I have become increasingly sceptical over time of the value of education as I don't think beyond a minimum level enough for basic literacy, numeracy and a little bit more, that education is for everyone).

Are the teachers mainly female? I know a lot of females in society can stab each other in the back when they are in a competitive environment. 

FE system - is teaching a competitive/popular job ? I thought it was not and they'll take the best of whoever is available

Do Upper Management get paid bonuses ?

It's like a lot of jobs/professions now it seems ; the paperwork seems to be a big part of the stress and unhappiness in these jobs. 

More students should be encouraged to go out and work if they are not progressing in education. They can return later if they decide they need further education once they've sampled the working world. 

Which geographical areas do your friends work?

The British education system seems to be getting dumbed down increasingly over time (my observation from afar)