Gursikhs can only eat food made by other Gursikhs?

Guest Harky

Waheguru Ji Ki Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Im 13 years old and I’m planning to take Amrit. I’m trying to gain as music information about Sikhi as possible. I heard that Amritdhari Sikhs can only eat food made by other Amritdhari Sikhs. Is this true? If it is then this follows the Brahmin way of eating food. Guru Nanak Dec Ji taught us that everyone is equal. Also do Amritdhari Sikhs have to eat from a steel or iron plate?

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

Very good of you finding yourself on the path to follow sikhi. You have a lot to learn and one thing i would suggest you is not to reach to conclusion swiftly until you actually spent time researching/reading texts (not google search). Read the basic Rehat Maryada and if you find your soul clashing with its content and disagreee with it then you should wait and not hurry up. Study study study...

• Like 2
Guest Harky

I have read the Rehat Maryada a few times and it does not say that Amritdhari Sikhs can only eat food made by other Amritdhari Sikhs, it only says that Amritdhari Sikhs can not eat the leftovers of a Non-Amritdhari Sikh.

On 5/28/2021 at 9:43 AM, Guest Harky said:

Im 13 years old and I’m planning to take Amrit. I’m trying to gain as music information about Sikhi as possible. I heard that Amritdhari Sikhs can only eat food made by other Amritdhari Sikhs. Is this true? If it is then this follows the Brahmin way of eating food. Guru Nanak Dec Ji taught us that everyone is equal. Also do Amritdhari Sikhs have to eat from a steel or iron plate?

That's not the way Brahmins treated food. 

You'd spoil their food just looking at it. According to them.

The Guru Sahiban fed everyone. 

Having trusted, spiritual, clean people cook each other food  provides nothing but benefits and protections and that safe food is given to everyone. Totally different. 

Also remember during the entirety of the birth of Sikhi it was under attack. Sikhs were at war. You don't eat the enemy's food bro. You cook your food and share it with them. 

So you're like okay, we aren't at war now so...

Wrong. We are. One, toxic food is killing everyone, and if you don't eat that stuff you're protected. And it's a cruel joke of Famine.   

Two. Sikhs that rise to any prominence are still at risk for poisining and if you think Shaheeds haven't been poisoned, you're wrong. 

On 5/30/2021 at 1:24 PM, Guest Harky said:

I have read the Rehat Maryada a few times and it does not say that Amritdhari Sikhs can only eat food made by other Amritdhari Sikhs, it only says that Amritdhari Sikhs can not eat the leftovers of a Non-Amritdhari Sikh.

Sarbloh Rehit?

On 5/30/2021 at 9:24 PM, Guest Harky said:

My parent's (and Grand-Parents before them) are devout Amritdhari Sikhs, they live by this rule, they don't eat leftover's from anybody but only share with other Amritdhari's, me and my siblings aren't Amritdhari but because we were bought up like this we live by the same rules.

I've come across a few families who won't eat foot that isn't prepared by non-Amritdhari's, we have one in our extended family and their father wouldn't eat anything at his daughter's house after she got married because the son-in-laws family weren't amritdhari, my father's a pretty devout Sikh and even he found that a bit extreme, each to their own i suppose.

• Like 1

The idealistic answer is yes. Let's see why?

Food prepared in restaurants, NOBODY knows who cooked it and the "Finer" ingredients popped in the meal. We all been in restaurants, put food in stomach and claimed "Hm, I wonder how this was made?" Also, during the food making process, a pi55ed off chef is preparing your meal. Now, will they think "I must do prayers as am preparing food to pop in that positive energy" or are they thinking of krodh, hatred and terrible things, as they're pi55ed off?? YOU HAVE ZERO CONTROL WHAT THEY THINK! If YOU think negative thoughts do not affect the food, then positive thoughts also will NOT affect the food. So no need to do prayers during making rotias. But it is REHATNAMA to do prayers during cooking, as it adds positive vibes to the food, which one will consume. 

Not to forget, are the chef's hands soochi or jooti? Had they tasted YOUR meal to check salt n spices then used the SAME spoon in the saucepan??? JOOTA!!! 

• Like 1

If your 13, you could start practicing living the amritdhari lifestyle and then take amrit after a uear or so of practice.

Also in your future is college, living in dorms, marriage and living outside. 

So keeping this in mind, I would advise you divide rehit into 3 parts. 

1. Rehit written in rehit maryada and given to you by panj pyare. This is the very basic stuff: comb hair 2x daily, wear dastaar, 5 bania, 5 kakaar, stay away from 4 kurehits. Be vegetarian.  These you must ALWAYS follow no matter the circumstances.

2. These you will try your best to follow. Do darshan of Guru sahib daily, wear a usable practical shastar. Do simran.  Wake up at amritvela. Learn martial arts. Do sehaj paath. Learn kirtan. Give daswand. Do good deeds. Dont eat jooth. Stay away from drug addicts, bad sangat. Avoid dirty sings, etc

3. These rehits you will follow at special occasions. (For example when living at home during summer vacation, when living at a dera/ashram, when deciding to do intense bhagti): Wear bana. Eat from sarab loh/steel. Do chalisa. Sukhmani sahib daily. Read sakhis, sikh history. Listen to katha. Only eat homecooked/amritdhari cooked food. Only associate with gurmukhs. Avoid all TV, entertainment. Take cold kesi showers daily. Wake up at 2 am daily. 

As you see. Required stuff is very little (that listed in #1). Otherwise you can keep making rules and adding rehits. If ppl tell you extra rehits not mentioned by panj pyare tell them thanks, and try that rehit when convenient for you. A sikh has many roles: saint, soldier, householder, scholar(not only of our own religion but others and world), earning a living, supporting parents, studying, learning santhiya etc.  

Its impossible to do all at once. Best to get good at one thing then move on to others. This is done 1. By starting young (which you are doing so good). 2. Dedicating certain time of life to certain things. Like learn kirtan and santhiya before college. In high school, build ur jeevan, this means follow the hardest rehits and do most bhagti.  As you will be too busy later on. Then focus on simran and working out (gym, martial arts) in college cuz besides nitnem thats all you have time for.  During job time, focus on listening to katha on commutes. During married life, focus on conquering mind and panj chor. As you will be challenged and stressed to the max. Then empty nest syndrome become parchaarik, local granthi, and be a scholar

• Like 1
Guest Guest Harky
On 6/3/2021 at 3:33 AM, GurjantGnostic said:

That's not the way Brahmins treated food. 

That’s not what I meant, what I meant was that the Brahmins would only eat food made by other Brahmins and not from anyone of a lower caste. Guru Nanak Dev Ji taught us that everyone is equal, and when they were offered a dinner at Brahmins house they declined and went to the poorest person and ate food there.

Guest Guest Harky
On 6/3/2021 at 2:11 PM, Singh1989 said:

The idealistic answer is yes. Let's see why?

Food prepared in restaurants, NOBODY knows who cooked it and the "Finer" ingredients popped in the meal. We all been in restaurants, put food in stomach and claimed "Hm, I wonder how this was made?" Also, during the food making process, a pi55ed off chef is preparing your meal. Now, will they think "I must do prayers as am preparing food to pop in that positive energy" or are they thinking of krodh, hatred and terrible things, as they're pi55ed off?? YOU HAVE ZERO CONTROL WHAT THEY THINK! If YOU think negative thoughts do not affect the food, then positive thoughts also will NOT affect the food. So no need to do prayers during making rotias. But it is REHATNAMA to do prayers during cooking, as it adds positive vibes to the food, which one will consume. 

Not to forget, are the chef's hands soochi or jooti? Had they tasted YOUR meal to check salt n spices then used the SAME spoon in the saucepan??? JOOTA!!! 

The only problem I have with praying while making food is that I’m 13 years old and I don’t know how to make food and my parents who make the food aren’t Amritdhari and they do not pray while making so I don’t know any solution to this.

On 6/13/2021 at 8:59 PM, Guest Guest Harky said:

The only problem I have with praying while making food is that I’m 13 years old and I don’t know how to make food and my parents who make the food aren’t Amritdhari and they do not pray while making so I don’t know any solution to this.

Just add a pinch of Naam Jaap at first and watch. You'll be cooking Naam in no time. Start helping cook to learn then add the Naam yourself. 

On 6/13/2021 at 8:56 PM, Guest Guest Harky said:

That’s not what I meant, what I meant was that the Brahmins would only eat food made by other Brahmins and not from anyone of a lower caste. Guru Nanak Dev Ji taught us that everyone is equal, and when they were offered a dinner at Brahmins house they declined and went to the poorest person and ate food there.

It's an entirely different practice and mindset. 

4 hours ago, scali said:

If this was true why would Gangu be employed as a cook in Guru Gobind Singh ji's house. This Jhoota food  is Bhamanvaad creeping into Sikhi.

That would be the second best example why you trust Amritdharis. So both examples show us to do that. Prithi Chand and Gangu bro. 

..he must be having a go lol..

First of all I commend you thinking in this direction. No one will have the right answers to all the questions,  you will end up getting more confused. After taking Amrit Keep Rehat (stay away from four bajjar Kureiths) do nitnem banis and naam jaap. Just know that you can always take Amrit again after peshi to panj pyaaras if kureith occurs. If you need direction pray to Guru Sahibs they will show you the way. Thats all Good Luck.