Wearing kirpan without being amritdhari

Guest EBirk

Guest EBirk

Waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh

I have been practicing sikhi for a while now, I do nitnim everyday and I do naam simran as well everyday. I am still living at home with my parents who do not approve of me taking amrit and I have chosen to respect them on this until I move out and find my own place. In the meantime however, I have been living the life of an amritdhari essentially and this includes wearing a kirpan and I feel as though if they don't wish me to actually take amrit I can at least do as much as I can to be prepared when I do finally take it. I recently saw some posts on here that suggest that you can't wear a kirpan without being an amritdhari which isn't something I had heard of before I started reading threads on here. Can anybody confirm if this is correct and the reasoning behind this. I personally can't see a reason in my situation why I wouldn't be allowed to wear a kirpan but I also don't want to be accidentally disrespectful. 

Many thanks