Being told what to do ?

Premi5

Don't know how long 'taking the knee' will continue for. Maybe best to keep the politics out of sport

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57412200

FA chief executive Mark Bullingham has said the booing of England's players for taking a knee is "incredibly disappointing".

And he confirmed the governing body is considering releasing a video message in an attempt to tackle the crisis before the team's opening Euro 2020 match.

The team were booed before two games last week as they made the gesture to highlight racial injustice.

In his first public comments on the controversy, Bullingham told BBC Sport: "We've been clear throughout, this is not a political gesture that the team is making.

"They are standing up for equality and they are using a gesture that's been around for hundreds of years and using it just to make a stance against racism.

"We're not asking every fan to copy that gesture. We're just asking them to respect it, and we do expect that they should respect it. They should get behind their team, cheer them on, and let's have a brilliant Euros with the country getting behind the team."

With mounting concerns England's opener against Croatia on Sunday at Wembley could be overshadowed by a repeat of the booing, Bullingham confirmed the FA was "looking at what we can do on matchday, including videos in the stadium".

He said: "Our general approach with anti-discrimination action is always focused on education, and we need to clarify, so every fan is 100% clear, this is not a political gesture. This is about equality, and we believe once they understand that they will get behind the team and cheer them on."

When asked how the FA felt about the Prime Minister Boris Johnson refusing to condemn fans who booed players taking a knee this week, Bullingham said: "We're really clear on our position.

"We are 100% behind the players, and we believe that once fans really understand it's not a political gesture there is absolutely no reason for them to boo. They should respect the players and get behind their team in the Euros.

"It's definitely not a positive for the players, but we want to move on, get the team fully supported by the fans, get everyone behind them."

Meanwhile, Uefa's tournament director Martin Kallen has also given his support to England's players.

"I hope they will not be booed by the people," he told BBC Sport.

"I think [England] want to make a signal, and we leave it up to the teams to do so."

"Of course we are always for fair play… and from our side, it's important that people are respecting other people's minds."

40 minutes ago, Premi5 said:

There are other ways to show support for the message, no one should feel compelled/forced to do what others are doing 

Amen bro. And visa versa. They wanna take a knee they shouldn't lose their multi million dollar contract. 

Let people protest based on the truth if they want. They don't want to? Fine. 

4 hours ago, Premi5 said:

There are other ways to show support for the message, no one should feel compelled/forced to do what others are doing 

Seeing as this has so many people's panties in a bunch, I'd say that this is probably one of the best ways to protest. 

And I know in england at least, anyone who tries to highlight racism in society, gets targeted in various ways. So I take my hats off for those who have the balls to protest, but I also understand that a lot of people are too scared, or self-centred to make any protest, despite feeling that racism is pervasive throughout society.   

1 hour ago, dallysingh101 said:

And I know in england at least, anyone who tries to highlight racism in society, gets targeted in various ways.   

Being 'woke' and 'virtue-signalling' and in support of causes like BLM etc seems to be very popular actually from my observation

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57422751

https://metro.co.uk/2021/06/08/oxford-students-vote-to-remove-queen-photo-as-she-is-colonial-symbol-14739698/

Seems those who have spoken against paedo gangs have been targeted more 

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2017/08/labour-mp-sarah-champion-resigns-over-grooming-gang-piece-sun

2 hours ago, Premi5 said:

Being 'woke' and 'virtue-signalling' and in support of causes like BLM etc seems to be very popular actually from my observation

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57422751

https://metro.co.uk/2021/06/08/oxford-students-vote-to-remove-queen-photo-as-she-is-colonial-symbol-14739698/

At risk of potential offence, I think you are dimwittedly becoming a crux for the very people who'd like the whole matter of discussing and combating racism and long standing, deep-rooted inequalities within their society, to disappear. 

Being averse to police brutality and racism doesn't make one 'woke' or 'virtue-signaling' but by adopting and using this language you personally give credence and support to the people who are trying to sweep this issue (that is very difficult to bring out) under the rug.

Seems a bit docile to be honest.    

Seems those who have spoken against paedo gangs have been targeted more 

The english establishment is covering up for paedos, and has been a long time. From the top to the bottom of their society. Some brave Sikhs in the UK have been at the forefront of highlighting this for decades.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2021 at 7:16 PM, dallysingh101 said:

At risk of potential offence, I think you are dimwittedly becoming a crux for the very people who'd like the whole matter of discussing and combating racism and long standing, deep-rooted inequalities within their society, to disappear. 

Being averse to police brutality and racism doesn't make one 'woke' or 'virtue-signaling' but by adopting and using this language you personally give credence and support to the people who are trying to sweep this issue (that is very difficult to bring out) under the rug.

Seems a bit docile to be honest.    

The english establishment is covering up for paedos, and has been a long time. From the top to the bottom of their society. Some brave Sikhs in the UK have been at the forefront of highlighting this for decades.  

Okay, but it seems you accept BLM or whoever forcing people to 'take the knee' rather than following their own actions? I thought you would be more independent-minded?

Maybe I am using the language others are using like 'woke' etc but I do think a lot of 'celebs' and people in society whether consciously or not want to be 'liked'/seen as 'good' so will just do whatever they think society wants them to rather than really believing in it.

Also, a lot of those who are supporting 'BLM' etc have made their fortunes from endorsements from big multinational  companies or sporting competitive/entertainment industries some of which will have had some racist/discriminatory policies. But rather than shunning the endorsements, they want to have their cake and eat it.