Sikhs in Poverty and Future of Panjab

Kau89r8

On 6/28/2021 at 1:07 PM, dallysingh101 said:

Another thing I've seen is financially established Sikhs have contempt for their brethren who are struggling.

It is in part related how we Sikhs judge ourselves by a different standard. It relates to a degree with our values in that if one Sikh has particular values of hard work and picking up themselves by the bootstraps and made success of themselves then other Sikhs should have the same outcome.

Also, it is in part related to human nature and it is one of the great paradoxes. We tend to be more helpful of people who do not need help than the ones that do.

but when it comes to their own, they treat them like second rate citizens, like they want to keep them down instead of giving them a hand up.

This particular mentality comes from thinking that this particular person may compete with them down the line or become more successful than them.

That being said, even those who come up through this, go on to do the same thing when the ball is on the other foot. 

There is very little difference between the well-off Sikh and the not so well off Sikh in this instance, if the roles were reversed they would behave exactly the same.

I have some poorer distant relatives in Punjab which we use to help out with money. The only reason they came after some time is because they were going to get money from us and after that they started to demand we build them a house. It is at this moment one becomes sceptical about one's generosity. After a while, you dread going to visit them because they do not want to see you but what you will give to them and offer them.

That is why we have to help them in the right way, it like giving them the tools to help themselves but wash your hands off them straight afterwards.

2 hours ago, Ranjeet01 said:

I think this comes down to a scarcity mentality. Too many pieces for a small pie.

I think the scarcity mentality needs to be changed to an abundance mentality. Abundance mentality is the Sikh way.

One way is to make the pie bigger. 

The other way is to our people to stop being like lemmings and look for different pies. 

It boils down to lack of diverse Sikh economy in the end. Our own lot seem very blockheaded in this respect, they don't seem to have any creativity to develop new markets, instead they just pile into any avenues one apna creates. Example being how so many rural Sikhs just want to come here and be builders. Or how they all buy the same white maruti. Something weird going on there.  

23 minutes ago, Ranjeet01 said:

If someone carves a successful path for themselves, a template gets created and people tend to follow that path as they are too lazy.

It takes a great deal of authenticity to carve your own niche.

If you've grown up in a multicultural environment, like I presume you and I both have, and you do some cross-cultural comparisons, it's pretty hard not to notice that this blockheadedness is very strong amongst apnay. It's not good. 

I feel like we suffer from this to a much higher degree than many other quoms. To say this is limiting is a gross understatement. 

A good few years ago I remember reading about an apna farmer in Canada (on Sikhnet I think) who was crushing it with modern tech (polly tunnels and various technological ways to monitor his crops), and he specifically said that when he goes back home and tells others about it, they aren't remotely interested. There's some strange culture going on by the looks of it?   Or is it that most apna are just strangely 'lazy' like that (and I don't mean physically lazy, because our lot can graft with the best of them). 

How the f**k are we going to go forward with this type of mentality? 

2 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

If you've grown up in a multicultural environment, like I presume you and I both have, and you do some cross-cultural comparisons, it's pretty hard not to notice that this blockheadedness is very strong amongst apnay. It's not good. 

I feel like we suffer from this to a much higher degree than many other quoms. To say this is limiting is a gross understatement. 

A good few years ago I remember reading about an apna farmer in Canada (on Sikhnet I think) who was crushing it with modern tech (polly tunnels and various technological ways to monitor his crops), and he specifically said that when he goes back home and tells others about it, they aren't remotely interested. There's some strange culture going on by the looks of it?   Or is it that most apna are just strangely 'lazy' like that (and I don't mean physically lazy, because our lot can graft with the best of them). 

How the f**k are we going to go forward with this type of mentality? 

"A good few years ago I remember reading about an apna farmer in Canada (on Sikhnet I think) who was crushing it with modern tech (polly tunnels and various technological ways to monitor his crops), and he specifically said that when he goes back home and tells others about it, they aren't remotely interested. There's some strange culture going on by the looks of it?   Or is it that most apna are just strangely 'lazy' like that (and I don't mean physically lazy, because our lot can graft with the best of them). 

How the f**k are we going to go forward with this type of mentality? "

The only way apneh take notice is if it makes lot of money and the material success it brings. 

Thinking outside the box is not our forte unless it is profitable. 

5 minutes ago, chatanga1 said:

The reason is generational education. The older generation are set in their ways and fearful of new innovations, prefering to do things the way they have for the last 40 odd years, while a younger generation are not that interested in farming any more so don't hold an interest in learning new techniques or technologies, even though they can see it works.

I have seen a similiar video and wanted to try and do it in my own garden but haven't managed to do it yet.

The older generation may not be educated in the academic sense, however they are educated in what works, particularly if they have worked in agriculture since practically birth.

They have particular knowledge that maybe academics may not have and they have particular insights as they have tradition of knowledge passed down from generation to generation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lindy_effect

I think that the older generation may be set in their ways but we should not necessarily discount their wisdom.