42 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

Well maybe you should have higher expectations? Academia is only a part of any solution. You've said yourself that rural types will only get on board with anything that materially benefits them personally (a kind of super selfishness). There is an alternative, a vision that includes all the panth and not just a self-entitled section of it. That's actually a foundation of Sikhi from the very beginning. It's actually common sense. You've had a modern education, it shouldn't be that hard for you to grasp this???? Surely? We do not have to follow the western model! We can develop and adapt a Sikhicentric one. 

At the risk of offending, you seem to exemplify the very lack of imagination we are talking about. 

It's exactly this type of unimaginative thinking that's setting the whole panth back. With kirpa, (for me personally) I think seeing that photo of Badal Snr with the (now deceased) sullah policeman implicated in umpteen Sikh 'disappearances' told me everything I need to know about the people that continually voted him (and now his successor) in for selfish purposes. 

Are you petrified of change? What exactly is your problem with Panjab having a modern diverse economy and a more egalitarian socio-political perspective?  Is this a casteist outlook? 

Why do you have such low expectations for Sikhs?

The Rural Types also know what works and what does not. It's called Lindy, these are tried and tested methods that have lasted the test of time.

When the green revolution took place, I am sure some very intellectual types told these rural types about what types of grain to grow which resulted in mono-crops and reduced the diversity somewhat.

This is what happens when you look listen to people who have no skin in the game.

What farmers began to do  afterwards was grow 90 per mono crop and keep 10 per cent pre-Green revolution.

It is the intelligencia that would have introduced a lot of the "new methods" and now they are telling the rurals things that they already knew in the first place.

This is probably why the rural types would be sceptical, for every hair brained idea, the rural types know that there are 2nd order, 3rd order effects. They have experienced it. 

I don't live in Punjab so it does not affect me, nor do I have the right to dictate on things I largely do not know about. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

These woke people will also be curtailing gun rights which may lead to restrictions on kirpaans.  And woke ppl support beadbi like inter religious and gay marriages. And may enforce them on relig

Unfortunately in this forum, some of us been posting about this issues for a while.... I don't mind if you want to help others, but then stop operating under 'Sikh charities' when Sikhi is not yo

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Ranjeet01 said:

The Rural Types also know what works and what does not. It's called Lindy, these are tried and tested methods that have lasted the test of time.

When the green revolution took place, I am sure some very intellectual types told these rural types about what types of grain to grow which resulted in mono-crops and reduced the diversity somewhat.

This is what happens when you look listen to people who have no skin in the game.

What farmers began to do  afterwards was grow 90 per mono crop and keep 10 per cent pre-Green revolution.

It is the intelligencia that would have introduced a lot of the "new methods" and now they are telling the rurals things that they already knew in the first place.

This is probably why the rural types would be sceptical, for every hair brained idea, the rural types know that there are 2nd order, 3rd order effects. They have experienced it. 

I don't live in Punjab so it does not affect me, nor do I have the right to dictate on things I largely do not know about. 

Some good points there. 

Problem is that it was people from agricultural backgrounds that pushed for the green revolution, Jagjit Singh Hara being a key figure. 

He had come from a farming background and still didn't see the long term implications. That contradicts what you suggested above.

I still hold to the point about lack of innovation and dynamism. What about growing cannabis for instance? It's a growing billion dollar industry? The failure of the umpteen agricultural universities is something you can't gloss over. Given Panjab's demographics and politics, it would be people from farming backgrounds who would hold key positions. Why didn't they foresee some of the 2nd/3rd level effects you mention?    Maybe they were blinded by the immediate rewards the new method gave?  

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/28/2021 at 10:03 PM, dallysingh101 said:

Very interesting. 

Yes another shutdown of businesses in Punjab. It seems to be a deliberate ploy to bring Punjab down further. Strategy to force communism perhaps?

• Like 1
On 8/1/2021 at 12:27 AM, Suchi said:

Yes another shutdown of businesses in Punjab. It seems to be a deliberate ploy to bring Punjab down further. Strategy to force communism perhaps?

Could also be that other states aren't as backwards as Panjab right now, and actually help facilitate progress in areas they need, instead of the crabs in a bucket mentality we have. 

Also once you get people to set things up, you can sod them off - not like it hasn't been done loads of times before. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

Could also be that other states aren't as backwards as Panjab right now, and actually help facilitate progress in areas they need, instead of the crabs in a bucket mentality we have. 

Also once you get people to set things up, you can sod them off - not like it hasn't been done loads of times before. 

Looks like they were specifically targeted for destruction.

https://www.opindia.com/2021/08/adani-group-shuts-logistics-park-in-punjab-due-to-blockade-by-farmers/

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Suchi said:

Does not matter. Those mere 400 job loss out of millions of population is peanuts. Anyway,  those are most probably out-of-state folks. 

Advice you not to go to such B grade news website.. Look at how these editors editors are scratching their bums for nothing -- > https://www.opindia.com/2021/08/capt-amarinder-hockey-women-regional-politics/

• Like 1
2 hours ago, S1ngh said:

Does not matter. Those mere 400 job loss out of millions of population is peanuts. Anyway,  those are most probably out-of-state folks. 

Advice you not to go to such B grade news website.. Look at how these editors editors are scratching their bums for nothing -- > https://www.opindia.com/2021/08/capt-amarinder-hockey-women-regional-politics/

I think this type of attitude helps keep Panjab economically backwards.  

• Like 1
7 hours ago, S1ngh said:

Most other news sources are controlled by the 6 conglomerates. Hence why none has published on the antics of CM of West Bengal.  So this is one of the few that isn't. 

Though I can agree the article was unnecessarily critical. But this is the sort of stuff that goes on today. Perhaps people are more sensitive on the divisive politics currently being played. Plus there are genuine attempts by nefarious people to break India up to again allow control to stop it becoming a world power. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Suchi said:

Most other news sources are controlled by the 6 conglomerates. Hence why none has published on the antics of CM of West Bengal.  So this is one of the few that isn't. 

Though I can agree the article was unnecessarily critical. But this is the sort of stuff that goes on today. Perhaps people are more sensitive on the divisive politics currently being played. Plus there are genuine attempts by nefarious people to break India up to again allow control to stop it becoming a world power. 

If you are thinking that captain is the type of person who wants india to break up. You are completely in denial. He is possibly the highest one in desh bhagat list-- possibly beating those hijars in khaki shorts.

• Like 1