Desi Dawaiye (medicine)

SikhSeeker

15 hours ago, Premi5 said:

Going a little off-topic, @jkvlondon - what do you use for teeth-cleaning?

I use normal toothpaste but have for a long time thought it cannot be very safe with all the chemicals in it

I am still searching for a good solution here in uk, the available neem toothpastes are chock full of foaming agents which also happen to be skin/mucous membrane irritants , I remember hearing that in India companies add OTT amounts of foaming agents in soaps and toothpaste because people associate foaming with cleaning action . was considering getting a neem tree planting it in a pot as I have a south facing garden and the patio is always full sun (plus will help protect fruit trees from insects)
Am currently using happier  brand of toothpaste comes in metal tube with plastic lid which can be totally recycled , has none of the nasties , doesn't foam , natural mint oil flavour , vegan , has papaya extract for sensitive teeth and son says it is as good as sensodyne (he has sensiive teeth since breaking front tooth in fall)

4 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

I am still searching for a good solution here in uk, the available neem toothpastes are chock full of foaming agents which also happen to be skin/mucous membrane irritants , I remember hearing that in India companies add OTT amounts of foaming agents in soaps and toothpaste because people associate foaming with cleaning action . was considering getting a neem tree planting it in a pot as I have a south facing garden and the patio is always full sun (plus will help protect fruit trees from insects)
Am currently using happier  brand of toothpaste comes in metal tube with plastic lid which can be totally recycled , has none of the nasties , doesn't foam , natural mint oil flavour , vegan , has papaya extract for sensitive teeth and son says it is as good as sensodyne (he has sensiive teeth since breaking front tooth in fall)

Nice. I've been using coconut oil with a heavy dose of peppermint in it. I was wanting to try that salt and pepper thing from the other thread. Or maybe use a little baking soda, but the peppermint and oil alone seem to be working really well. Then I just swish with the oil and swallow it. Which I appreciate I can do without concern. 

I got some neem toothpicks dipped in oil that are nice to use too. 

That toothpaste you found sounds really good. 

1 hour ago, GurjantGnostic said:

Nice. I've been using coconut oil with a heavy dose of peppermint in it. I was wanting to try that salt and pepper thing from the other thread. Or maybe use a little baking soda, but the peppermint and oil alone seem to be working really well. Then I just swish with the oil and swallow it. Which I appreciate I can do without concern. 

I got some neem toothpicks dipped in oil that are nice to use too. 

oil pulling is okay but it coats the mouth too much  ... baking soda can be too harsh on enamel especially if you brush with a heavy hand  same with charcoal pastes , the link for the company selling Happier paste  is https://happierbeauty.com/
It is expensive but since it cuts down on buying two three different types of plastic tubed pastes  it works out great - a little goes a long way

1 hour ago, GurjantGnostic said:

painfulI got some neem toothpicks dipped in oil that are nice to use too. 

salt on a wet toothbrush or finger was the goto in our house if we ran out of paste or forgot our brushes when travelling .

remember if you have tooth pain or mouth ulcer that kills  crush a long/clove on your bad tooth  and swish the juice around your mouth(ulcer)

21 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

salt on a wet toothbrush or finger was the goto in our house if we ran out of paste or forgot our brushes when travelling .

remember if you have tooth pain or mouth ulcer that kills  crush a long/clove on your bad tooth  and swish the juice around your mouth(ulcer)

Ok, but how do you clean teeth on daily basis ?