Gravesend

Premi5

2 hours ago, Ranjeet01 said:

Gravesend is a strange name for a town.

Went there once, it has a nice gurdwara but that is all I know about the place

Went out with a lady from there years ago. She told me something about it being some burial place a long time ago hence the name (if I recall rightly). It seemed quite insular the few times I went there. People who like pendu culture would probably love it there.  That big Gurdwara wasn't built then. 

3 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

Went out with a lady from there years ago. She told me something about it being some burial place a long time ago hence the name (if I recall rightly). It seemed quite insular the few times I went there. People who like pendu culture would probably love it there.  That big Gurdwara wasn't built then. 

Probably built on the bones of the Welsh. 

11 hours ago, GurjantGnostic said:

Probably built on the bones of the Welsh. 

I thought it was something to do with the plague, but apparently that may be wrong?:

Recorded as Gravesham in the Domesday Book of 1086 when it belonged to Odo, Earl of Kent and Bishop of Bayeux, the half-brother of William the Conqueror, its name probably derives from graaf-ham: the home of the reeve or bailiff of the lord of the manor.

Another theory suggests that the name Gravesham may be a corruption of the words grafs-ham – a place "at the end of the grove".[1] Frank Carr[2] asserts that the name derives from the Saxon Gerevesend, the end of the authority of the Portreeve (originally Portgereve, chief town administrator).

In the Netherlands, a place called 's-Gravenzande is found with its name translating into "Sand (or sandy area) belonging to the Count". The 's is a contraction of the old Dutch genitive article des, and translates into plain English as of the. In Brooklyn, New York, the neighbourhood of Gravesend is said by some to have been named for 's-Gravenzande.[3] Though its founding by the English religious dissenter, Lady Deborah Moody, in 1645 strongly indicates that it is named after Gravesend, England. Lady Deborah was originally from London and is credited with being the first woman to found a settlement in the New World.

The Domesday spelling is its earliest known historical record;[4] all other spellings – in the later (c. 1100) Domesday Monachorum and in Textus Roffensis the town is Gravesend and Gravesende, respectively. The variation Graveshend can be seen in a court record of 1422, where Edmund de Langeford was parson,[5] and attributed to where the graves ended after the Black Death. The municipal title Gravesham was formally adopted in 1974 as the name for the new borough.[6]