Tharkhan pub owner

Premi5

One for @dallysingh101

A Flora and Panesar prominent in this article

On more serious note, these are an embarrassment bringing up their Sikh background into the article and giving the wrong impression to non Sikhs that they mix with. 

“Premjit Panesar, 22, said having an Indian landlord would provide more diversity “whilst also opening doors of opportunity for more people from the community to follow suit”.

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/lifestyle/food-and-drink/the-eldon-pub-in-leeds-appoints-23-year-old-landlord-committed-to-making-it-a-diverse-and-safe-space-3337533

The Eldon pub in Leeds appoints 23-year-old landlord committed to making it a diverse and safe space

At 23, Arjun Flora is the same age as some of the students who frequent his pub.

Saturday, 7th August 2021, 3:02 pm

For Mr Flora is the new landlord of The Eldon, which is opposite Leeds University on Woodhouse Lane.

The Sikh, who is from Leeds, has been working in the hospitality industry for the past two years.

“It all started at a pub quiz with my partner,” he explained, “I got to know the people working there quite well and then the workers in pubs nearby.”

Building on his knowledge and relationships with other bar workers, he was later recommended for the role by the previous Eldon landlord. “I did a week’s worth of shifts and ended up loving it,” he said.

Students are also hopeful for what it could do for the community.

Regular, Lottie Chambers, 21, student at Mills School of Performance, said: “I feel like the combination of his age and faith could provide a really cool atmosphere.”

She said that having an Indian landlord could provide a safe space for students from many different backgrounds.

Mr Flora said he is aware the role will come with challenges, but he wants to use his presence to encourage diversity.

“I want to flip the script on what it means to be a landlord,” he said.

“I know I don’t exactly fit the vibe of your average pub, but times are changing.”

He aims for the Eldon to be a zero-tolerance space for hate and wants it to be a safe space for all.

Mr Flora added: “I want you to feel like you can be yourself, no matter what that is, regardless of sexual identity, gender identity, race, anything.

“I know my age may put people off, but I’ve got experience and I wouldn’t be recommended by someone who has over 10 years’ experience if I wasn’t capable.”

Customer Premjit Panesar, 22, said having an Indian landlord would provide more diversity “whilst also opening doors of opportunity for more people from the community to follow suit”.

He believes this representation will encourage others to further diversify their businesses and form a safe space for individuals.

Arjun Flora, pictured at the Eldon in Woodhouse Lane. Picture: Bruce Rollinson Arjun Flora, pictured at the Eldon in Woodhouse Lane. Picture: Bruce Rollinson

“A zero tolerance space for me means that I know I have somewhere I can go to without the fear of being judged,” he said.

9 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

Premi5

You're a comedian. Juts pretty much monopolised the Off License alcohol cigarette trade in the South East in the 80s and 90s.   

Plus you sound like closeted white bot's kooti anyways. What would you know? 

Ok, so just shout back  and try to bully me  without acknowledging the story I have posted here. You seem to like to try to bully people but don't like it when it's at you. 

In my experience, there's little difference between how jatts and tharkhans are in the UK. You like to exaggerate a lot. 

Maybe these 'jutts' had little choice because of lack of qualifications etc. They did not see farming as possible in the UK. And/or they were late to the idea of using their hands for construction work, which runs more naturally in Tharkhan blood. 

You also never acknowledge that the majority of your community (it seems) came to the UK from Africa, hence you would expect them to be more cultured than rural peasants from India.

Your passive response leaves it open to suggest you support this pubowner who probably could have gone into any other business that doesn't contradict being 'Sikh'. He has much more of a choice what line of business he can do rather than comparing him to previous generations

37 minutes ago, Premi5 said:

Ok, so just shout back  and try to bully me  without acknowledging the story I have posted here. You seem to like to try to bully people but don't like it when it's at you. 

In my experience, there's little difference between how jatts and tharkhans are in the UK. You like to exaggerate a lot. 

Maybe these 'jutts' had little choice because of lack of qualifications etc. They did not see farming as possible in the UK. And/or they were late to the idea of using their hands for construction work, which runs more naturally in Tharkhan blood. 

You also never acknowledge that the majority of your community (it seems) came to the UK from Africa, hence you would expect them to be more cultured than rural peasants from India.

Your passive response leaves it open to suggest you support this pubowner who probably could have gone into any other business that doesn't contradict being 'Sikh'. He has much more of a choice what line of business he can do rather than comparing him to previous generations

Bully you??? You pu55y. This is online. And you're a grown up. 

That's another pile of nonsense. The amount of tarkhans from Africa is marginal compared to the overall numbers. I've met as many if not more juts from Africa than tarkhans over the years. And they have that stereotypical starched pagh thing going on. I remember playing at my jut pal's house when growing up and we'd be trying on the starched pagh he's dad left on the shelf. 

Juts and alcohol have a long standing relationship with predates Sikhi by the looks of it.   

1 hour ago, dallysingh101 said:

I've met as many if not more juts from Africa than tarkhans over the years. And they have that stereotypical starched pagh thing going on. I remember playing at my jut pal's house when growing up and we'd be trying on the starched pagh he's dad left on the shelf. 

Most of the Sikhs from Africa I've met are Tharkhaan. The starched Pagh types seem to frequent Ramgarhia Gurdwaras more than other Gurdwaras, e.g. Karamsar Ilford

This article supports what I say about most tharkhaans in the UK being from Africa

https://escholarship.org/content/qt840862km/qt840862km_noSplash_a11519fa7e4d026a9f3729cf810cfce1.pdf

East African Sikhs belong predominantly to the Ramgarhia caste group (Mcleod 1974; Bharati 1967),

Also if you see the below article, it tells of some of the differences  between Tharkhaan and jatt emigration to the UK

https://punjab.global.ucsb.edu/sites/default/files/sitefiles/journals/volume19/no1/1-KiytakaSatoCasteDivisionsinLeicester.pdf

One is the fact the Ramgarhias were ‘twice migrants’. In other words, many Ramgarhias came to Britain via East Africa rather than straight from India.

Tharkhaans drinking has been downplayed

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/aug/07/drunk-monty-panesar-urinating-bouncers

Monty Panesar apologises after 'urinating on bouncers' at nightclub

This article is more than 8 years old
 Cricketer reportedly chased after being ejected from nightclub
 Sussex to investigate after Panesar issues apology

Monty PanesarAccused of being 'drunk and disorderly', Monty Panesar has apologised after allegedly urinating on bouncers at a nightclub. Photograph: Chris Ison/PA

Guardian staff and agencies
Wed 7 Aug 2013 09.58 BST

Sussex County Cricket Club have launched an investigation after England cricketer Monty Panesar received a fixed penalty notice from police for being "drunk and disorderly" following an incident at a Brighton nightclub.

A statement on the club's website read: "Sussex County Cricket Club can confirm that an incident took place involving Monty Panesar in the early hours of Monday 5 August. The matter is under full investigation and the club will make no further comment at this stage."

The cricketer has subsequently apologised after urinating on bouncers who had ejected him from a nightclub, according to reports in the Sun.

The paper reported that the 31-year-old had been partying at the Shooshh club on Brighton's beachfront, which was hosting a Gay Pride event. However, when a group of women complained he was hassling them, the spin bowler was asked to leave.

6 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

Bully you??? You pu55y. This is online. And you're a grown up. 

That's another pile of nonsense. The amount of tarkhans from Africa is marginal compared to the overall numbers. I've met as many if not more juts from Africa than tarkhans over the years. And they have that stereotypical starched pagh thing going on. I remember playing at my jut pal's house when growing up and we'd be trying on the starched pagh he's dad left on the shelf. 

Juts and alcohol have a long standing relationship with predates Sikhi by the looks of it.   

I think tht jatt and tarkhan sikhs are good but are more into alcohol and more gorafied than gujjar sikhs or rajput sikhs i met who seem to be more old school prlly cos they r small population and havent gone international like other communities. khatris are just weird in my opinion.

13 hours ago, Premi5 said:

One for @dallysingh101

A Flora and Panesar prominent in this article

On more serious note, these are an embarrassment bringing up their Sikh background into the article and giving the wrong impression to non Sikhs that they mix with. 

“Premjit Panesar, 22, said having an Indian landlord would provide more diversity “whilst also opening doors of opportunity for more people from the community to follow suit”.

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/lifestyle/food-and-drink/the-eldon-pub-in-leeds-appoints-23-year-old-landlord-committed-to-making-it-a-diverse-and-safe-space-3337533

The Eldon pub in Leeds appoints 23-year-old landlord committed to making it a diverse and safe space

At 23, Arjun Flora is the same age as some of the students who frequent his pub.

Saturday, 7th August 2021, 3:02 pm

For Mr Flora is the new landlord of The Eldon, which is opposite Leeds University on Woodhouse Lane.

The Sikh, who is from Leeds, has been working in the hospitality industry for the past two years.

“It all started at a pub quiz with my partner,” he explained, “I got to know the people working there quite well and then the workers in pubs nearby.”

Building on his knowledge and relationships with other bar workers, he was later recommended for the role by the previous Eldon landlord. “I did a week’s worth of shifts and ended up loving it,” he said.

Students are also hopeful for what it could do for the community.

Regular, Lottie Chambers, 21, student at Mills School of Performance, said: “I feel like the combination of his age and faith could provide a really cool atmosphere.”

She said that having an Indian landlord could provide a safe space for students from many different backgrounds.

Mr Flora said he is aware the role will come with challenges, but he wants to use his presence to encourage diversity.

“I want to flip the script on what it means to be a landlord,” he said.

“I know I don’t exactly fit the vibe of your average pub, but times are changing.”

He aims for the Eldon to be a zero-tolerance space for hate and wants it to be a safe space for all.

Mr Flora added: “I want you to feel like you can be yourself, no matter what that is, regardless of sexual identity, gender identity, race, anything.

“I know my age may put people off, but I’ve got experience and I wouldn’t be recommended by someone who has over 10 years’ experience if I wasn’t capable.”

Customer Premjit Panesar, 22, said having an Indian landlord would provide more diversity “whilst also opening doors of opportunity for more people from the community to follow suit”.

He believes this representation will encourage others to further diversify their businesses and form a safe space for individuals.

Arjun Flora, pictured at the Eldon in Woodhouse Lane. Picture: Bruce Rollinson Arjun Flora, pictured at the Eldon in Woodhouse Lane. Picture: Bruce Rollinson

“A zero tolerance space for me means that I know I have somewhere I can go to without the fear of being judged,” he said.

The fact Arjun is standing on a black and white checked floor wearing red shoes might indicate he has joined a certain club. So this might be part of a new policy to promote Sikh/Asian landlords. To what end?

16 hours ago, justasking said:

I think tht jatt and tarkhan sikhs are good but are more into alcohol and more gorafied than gujjar sikhs or rajput sikhs i met who seem to be more old school prlly cos they r small population and havent gone international like other communities. khatris are just weird in my opinion.

I think drinking is very common in rural Panjab. You can tell by the way there are so many folk songs about drinking.